Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 56 Ford Business sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Domino

Domino

Was there one? I guess it would be body code 70D like the rest. I have seen a 57 and a 50, but never a 56. I just drug home a 56 Mainline with almost no options. It might as well be a 70D. It got me wondering if one was built. I like the idea of the fixed rear windows.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

2. yep...they made one on the Mainline body.....should have the 70D.....fixed windows is a clue.....took some out of a 55 Dodge cause I thought they were different......

3. Domino

Domino

I need to find more info on this. Pics would be nice.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model is on the ID tag. Left side under the windshield after you open the door. Original Engine, color, interior color, factory, date made, and sequence # also can be determined.

5. Domino

Domino

My car is a 70A I was just wanting to see what they looked like in 55 and 56.

6. Did these 70D's have a back seat?

7. Domino

Domino

Also a good question.

8. town sedan

town sedan

If you look through the 57 fords forever web site there are at least a couple threads dealing with the fixed rear windows. I know yours is a '56 but you might be able to get some ideas on the conversion from those guys. RICH MUISE over there, I believe, did a fixed rear window conversion on his '57. He is also on the HAMB, but not sure of the handle he uses here. Sounds like fun, good luck with your new old Ford.
    -Dave

9. Domino

Domino

I found some pics and a lot of people dissatisfied by the fit of the seals.

10. 20150915_094416-1.jpg Mine was a business coupe stationary quarter windows, no back seat, California car didn't even have a heater
    Was about 600 lbs lighter than a 55-57 chev according to the scales at the old San Gabriel drag strip
    First ran a 283 chev then up graded to a 360 horse 327 in about 1965

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I would think that the business coupe/sedan would have been the Customline

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Aussiepete. like this.
  12. Domino

Domino

Auto City Classics lists the glass. Since one of mine is broken I think I will go this way.

mikhett likes this.
  13. Domino

Domino

Steele Rubber sells the seals. I have seen reference to a bracket in reference to the stationary windows on the 57. Would this apply to the 56 as well?

14. Rich is Texas57 here and on the 1952-1959 Ford forum.

15. Not too much from the '57 fits the '55 or '56. Look on the Restoration Specialties site, you may find a picture of what you have. Jeff over there knows his Ford stuff.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

here are some photos of my 1955 Mainline Business Sedan. The woman that purchased it bought the car with no rear seat to save money, have a nice place to stash her groceries and to keep the neighbor ladies from bumming rides. True story! Six cylinder, stick shift, radio/clock delete. But it had the Deluxe heater. Has been modified since she sold it.

Attached Files:

17. Image_zpsf578d29c.JPG I had a '56 Mainline when I was in high school back in the '60's. It was a typical 6 cylinder, 3-speed, radio delete stripped down model. However it did have a back seat and functioning quarter windows. It had no chrome trim on the sides but I have seen some '56 Mainlines that have abbreviated chrome trim on the sides and I've always wondered what that's about? Why do some have this chrome trim and some not?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob, is your '55 for sale? I always like the '55's.

bobwop likes this.
  19. Domino

Domino

Bob, do you have any pics of the quarter windows? Inside and out.

20. The '56 Mainline could be optioned with some chrome trim. Basically, you got the back half of the Customline trim, only ending in the back of the front doors. This also added trim around the front and rear windows, although that trim could be gotten separately if so desired. So not all Mainlines were total 'strippers', they could be 'dressed up' a bit...

There were even variations in the trim; I have a Mainline 2dr wagon with side trim and 'Ranch Wagon' script on the front fenders. But some came through with the 'Ranch Wagon' embossed into the side trim 'spear' and no script.

But if you ordered the cheapest version possible, it looked like the '55 Bobwop posted; no side trim at all and just rubber gaskets around the front and rear glass. The one he pictured has the optional back-up lights, without those the fender caps would be painted steel (both carryovers from the '55s). The '56 Customline got polished stainless steel caps, only the Fairlane got the 'styled' chrome caps (which had back-up light lenses whether the lights were ordered or not). One additional factoid; the '55 and '56 Mainline/Customline back-up light lenses were glass, the '56 Fairlane were plastic.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    bobwop likes this.
  21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sorry, all I have on file are the two photos attached. The car is in storage right now. If there is a need, I can try to get more descriptive photos.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  22. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

Back in the early seventies a friend of mine call me to have a rear seat for his newly acquired '56 coach......when I arrived he already had rip off the carpet that goes up to the rear windows that doesn't open!!!.....and he successfully install the front bumper upside down.....but he gave me the 390/4 speed that he replace by a 6 cylinders.....never been able to buy the car from him.....

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day a friend of mine had what I remember as a 56 Ford coupe (small rear windows) with a Cadillac 365 engine. I don't remember it ever having the Customline trim. Am I right about the trim or perhaps the trim was removed before he got it?

Gary

24. Domino

Domino

I would really appreciate some pics when if you get a chance.

25. Domino

Domino

Did you ever get pics? I am looking for info on the lower bracket that goes under the window.

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I finally got around to getting the photos you requested. Sorry it took so long

Attached Files:

27. Domino

Domino

Awesomes. Thanks a lot. I am definitely doing this.

bobwop likes this.
  28. Over the decades ive owned a couple dozen 55 & 56 fords. Ive owned Victoria hardtops and with all the trim they are beautiful vehicles. however the htp windows create a lot of wind noise at speed. and the dirt collects under all that trim. I eventually started preferring a 2 dr sedan without any trim. The doors close really good. and they look good also. Im down to one 55 ford its a 2 dr ranch 1955 ford ranch wagon 001.JPG wagon. It now has a 262 six from a truck. I really think it needs a FE engine. So far every 55 and 56 ford I ever owned got a FE swapped into it. That's the original turquoise paint on the wagon. Notice there isn't any stainless trim around the windshield. The side windows on this wagon slide back to open. I noticed the front frame crossmember that holds the lower a arms is getting rusty & weak. That crossmember is available new. And I could get one and weld it in . However In thinking grafting a frame clip from a later galaxie. That way I could get better suspension brakes and power steering. and could buy a set of hedders that actually fit and work properly.

29. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Hi Domino I'm resto moding a 56 Victoria after I finish redoing my 62 Galaxie I finished in 08.I have pics in my profile!