Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON ALL THE COWLS BEING FOUND?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 16, 2017.

1. As I was reading the current threads this morning one triggered my curiosity when the OP ask about 28/29 Ford cowls,I wasn't the question that peaked my interest but the fact that so many cowls keep turning up.

I have found several Model A cowls over the years and the last one I found was on a farm not 3 miles from my house in one of the farmers pastures,I had ask him where the rest of the car was and he said he had owned the farm for more than 40 years and had never seen another old car part on his property.

About 20 years ago I purchased a 28/29 cowl for my Vicky project from my cousins tractor repair shop and like the farmer,this was the only Model A part to be found.

Why do you think there are so many cowls still floating around,and they are not just Ford but man different makes, HRP

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good question, Danny. My Dad's family were mostly rural people and we often were in farm country when I was a kid in the '50s. I clearly recall seeing old cars on farms that had been stripped of their bodies and were used for various purposes. One in particular that I recall, had a rear hub fitted with a wide belt pulley that powered a saw blade. Thinking back, I know that one was a Model A, which I think was common, both because of their numbers and the self contained nature with the fuel tank in the cowl. Others uses, like running generators and water pumps could be found as well.

Ray

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Because many cars were cut into Doodlebugs for use on the farm. Only the chassis and cowl were saved. Then later the Doodlebug died and the iron from the chassis/engine was scrapped. The cowl was thrown over in the fencerow.

How many of these cowls are missing the windshield posts? All of them I'd bet.

HEMI32, Tman, checkedgoldtop and 5 others like this.
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not so much now, but when I was a pup, almost every farmer had a 'lot' where used up cars, trucks, & machinery were laid to rest. Used to run across them often, rabbit/bird hunting. I know of 3 farms right now (same family) that are chalked full of junk machinery and some mostly Ford cars & trucks (50's & up), some very savable. But they don't sell anything.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Left over four doors??? :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

As suburban and rural farms are crowded out and the land bought up and developed, more of these previous hidden "gems" are being found. I covered this in my posts Finding cars in the woods -a
    Tutorial. I have found dozen of cowls in the woods, pastures, etc.
    Farmers often say "don't throw that out, I might need it someday"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Easy, just call 1-800-Need-a-Vin and get it registered. :rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. banjorear

banjorear

Not sure. I bought my '28 Roadster from the original owner's family. The original owner took it off the road in 1940. He completely took the car apart and packed the mechanicals in grease. He split the body into separate panels and stored them in a barn, out of the elements. All panels except the cowl & gas tank. He neatly cut the cowl at the sills, but left this portion of the car unprotected. It's the oddest thing since he took so much care to preserve the rest of the car, but didn't figure a way to protect or preserve the cowl/tank.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I'll agree that many old vehicles progressed into doodlebugs, homemade tractors, stationary engines for sawmills, etc. The next phase was often to a cleaned rolling chassis that became a wagon. A couple years back a friend of mine found a complete 32' Ford chassis under a wagon. Model A's are pretty common. Maybe that's why the cowls are still out there.

_justakid_, Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Ive seen lots of model A chassis being used as haywagons and frames for various log splitters and other farm equipment. It seems pretty common here in the midwest at least. I would assume the body was cut off and everything but the cowl/gas tank was deemed useless and repurposed

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, how come?
    I have one in my storage shed. Don't even remember where I found it. Been to long ago now.
    What happened to the rest of the car?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Cowls found on a Farm? Realy? MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :)

stillrunners and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

I've found quite a few rumble lids and hoods at the bottom of hills and gullies with no other car parts near by. Could not figure out why til an old timer told me " They make great sleds". Also they would use larger hoods and trunks to "skid" out fire wood from the woods. This is why you will see random parts in the woods.
    "Don't throw that away, I might need it someday"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I think the doodlebug/ farm truck then into hay wagon/trailer like Mo_Junk said. Most of the body would be gone the cowl being the last part to go when its life as a doodlebug ended.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. The cowl was heavier than the rest. The light parts got thrown away first. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

17. Don't bet on all of them,the 2 I found ,one still had the windshield frame intact but the other one was obviously chopped of with a axe,it was crudely cut. HRP

18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Cowl Bunga

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. "A-s" make great trailers because of the flat rails,,,,

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Subrails go away quickly when a body is placed on the ground. That breaks the lower link.

Roof panels, think '28/'29 Tudors especially, go fast in the weather. That breaks the upper link.

Then, you just have a cowl.

HOTRODPRIMER and Hudson31 like this.
  21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

All the grill shells ended up on someones wall with the heavier cowls left behind. :) Here in Minnesota I've hundreds of doodlebugs/tractors and haywagon frames from old vehicles. We didn't use to be a throwaway society. One of the best by product/utility uses I've seen was T frames used as clothes line poles. Still might do that myself as the frames aren't worth much andit looked cool.

young'n'poor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's my take these cowls? Anywhere from $50 to $250, depending on condition.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

People are "finding" all these cowls because of all the loons asking $1250 for them on ePay.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

If they are actually getting that much
    I should probably sell the couple extra sedan cowls I have and could probably locate few more cheap.

patmanta and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. I think the engines were used as a stationary power plants on in later times W.W.II-the 60's, and the cowl kept for the gas tank.
    I have found a fair number of Model A frames cut off just behind the cowl as well.

My Mother and Father found a 28/29 Cowl and gave it to me for my 18 birthday, I still have it set aside for a future project!

26. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I say, big ass 3 D printers

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. duh....it's a natural progression.....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Because early ones had the fuel tank in it. If you were gonna run the engine, you might need that. Hell, it's a guess.....

falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. I'm certain this accounts for many of them. HRP

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Found this 22/23 dodge cowl 10/12 years ago in a field. No gas tank in it so I can throw that observation out the window. Single seat race car on the way! IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1739.JPG

Okie Pete and HOTRODPRIMER like this.