Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rare wheel I saw today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadstar, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Saw this wheel today in a local tire and wheel store in the Detroit metro area. Owner said he didn't know anything about it besides the fact it has "Firestone" cast on the backside along with 17x4
    The center cap is not original to the wheel according to the store owner. Unfortunately there is only one. It appears to be magnesium. I would love to find out more or if anyone has ever seen this wheel.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my E6782 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VTjunk likes this.
  2. wow! definitely different

3. 1971 Stutz Blackhawk had 'em....I mounted tires on a few of those when I worked for Firestone around 1972-74....They also took a special tire. 1971 Stutz Blackhawk.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    brad2v, Hnstray, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

5. Yep....you can see on the spare tire on the car in the photo that even the tires said "Firestone LXX" on them.

6. Wow some great conversation info right away. So look at the bulge in the sidewall! The wheel was crazy narrow. Thanks.

7. no kidding! thats a lot of tire on a 4" wide rim!

31Dodger and roadstar like this.
  8. Even with the old Clark 20/20 they were a BEAR to mount. There were some similar tires on VW wheels. Deep, wide, stiff sidewalls.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looking close at the wheel pic and it appears the bead flanges are a bit 'rough'. Maybe this wheel was 'retired' from service after being run flat.......has that 'look' common to aluminum wheels in that circumstance.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Maybe with that 4" wide wheel , those were run-flat tires that came on the car

DND

roadstar likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have seen a set offered on craigslist in the past - seems that they were offered as a early T-Bird special wheel

roadstar likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine had a set on a 64 Chev Impala in the mid 80's. It was weird then but in style now. As I remember they road pretty hard.

13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

That was sorta the theory. Not really a run flat but just that the tire was so wide at the bead area that it wouldn't run off the rim if it went flat. Didn't work, and was just one more of that string of boondoggles in the 70's that eventually bankrupted Firestone.

14. One thing about those rims....the tires stuck out so far you hardly ever saw curb rash on the rims.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Elvis approved!

ElvisStutz_700.jpg

BigDrag, brad2v and roadstar like this.
  16. First thing I thought of was some kind of Indy car wheel being 17 inch. I could see them as a set on something with a widened version for the rear with some vintage Firestones

17. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Brings back some memories. Around 1969/70 (forget which) I interviewed for a job at Firestone Tire & Rubber (actually Steel Products Division). They gave me the usual nickel tour and we discussed a few topics of interest that they were working on. This wheel / tire setup was one of the topics. As I recall, they said the original "trial run" was in the Minneapolis area. There was also a version that had a rubber donut that was part of the rim and inside of the tire when mounted. They found that people would be driving around on flat tires for an extended time because they couldn't tell they had a flat...so that was shelved. There were also plans for a version which had mylar (I think) reflective segments molded into the cantilevered sidewall. The purpose of this was so that when driving at night and you slowed down wo hitting your brakes, the reflective segments would cause a strobe effect in the headlights of the car approaching from the rear when the speed passed thru a certain speed range.

Interesting comment about these possibly being for an Indy car. They were actually fooling around with smaller diameter wheels / tires.....I think it was 10 inch for front and 12 inch for rear in an attempt to the profile of the cars lower.

18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Motor City

Motor City
    from Michigan

If I recall, someone was trying to sell a set on the Detroit craigslist a while back.

roadstar likes this.
  20. Sears.....yep they sold them.....look at the cap.....