Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 pc. Ford Brake Drum wide 5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadster mike, May 1, 2011.

1. roadster mike

roadster mike

I recently found a set of 4 NOS brake drums with the Ford wide 5 bolt pattern. The drums are 12" in diameter and approximately 2" wide. Can anyone shed light on what appear to be the outer drums for 2 piece brake drums for a 1937, 1938 &/or 1939 Ford vehicle.

Thanks, Mike

Attached Files:

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

First thought I have is they are after market to use on circle track cars using the aluminum wide five hubs; i.e. Frankland, Winters, ect and Buick backing plates/brakes..You can ask here http://www.midstateantiquestockcarclub.com/index.html. Nice find, let us know the sure facts..

3. They are for the rear. I know they fit '39 because I bought some for my truck and swapped them to my old hubs.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. Seen the two piece drums before; but seem less common than the one piece kind. We switched a good set of drums from '36 mech brake hubs to a set of '39 hyd brake hubs that wasted drums. The only hassle was finding enough NOS studs for assembly. These were front hubs.

Last edited: May 1, 2011

5. roadster mike

roadster mike

Bttt - Anyone else have information?

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Post this on the Ford Barn. Better source of info on O.E.M. old Ford stuff.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just the standard replacement drum for the 37-39 Ford cars and 1/2 ton commercials. They were available for years in the aftermarket and through the 80s in the antique Ford parts business.

8. Hey,

I looked into these a while back and found this on the Ford Barn:

Ford made 4 types of rear hubs during the early part of the 36 production year. There were 2 open (spider) type and 2 closed type. The open type came in both 1-piece (68-1115-A1)and 2-piece (68-1115-A2) contruction. The closed style also came in both 1-piece (68-1115-A4) and 2-piece (68-1115-A3) models.

Both 2-piece models were for use with the larger(B-1225-A) rear bearing, a carry over from previous years. Since this design did not have a bearing sleave the center part of the 2 piece design had to be replaced when the bearing surface was worn.

Both 1-piece designs used the new smaller bearing (68-1225-A) and had a bearing sleave that could be replaced when worn.

Both designs were used till about March of 1936 when the large bearing hubs were discontinued. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Hope this was helpful,
    Greg

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, you need 1937 info for the '37-9 ones that fit with hydraulics...only rear '36 will work. '37-9 also had multiple suppliers, resulting in parts that looked different but were fully interchangeable. These I believe have to be aftermarket and not Ford. I am pretty near certain the Ford throughout the '28-48 period never sold drums as shown...you could only buy the complete unit of hub, drum, and studs. Only the studs were serviced as separate parts.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tazzeller pretty much summed it up. I have both front (>'37) and rear hubs for these, if you need them, and might be interested in buying these if you want to move them out.

11. sicmade

sicmade
    from Modesto

Still have the drums & are you looking to sell them?

12. sorry....12x2....wouldn't that be Lincoln ?

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

are these still around? i think they go on a 38-39 ton truck. my friend is in need of one.

14. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

As you can see it sits behind the hub. I see this guy hasn't been here since 2014.... damn!

Attached Files: