Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wilcap 331 extended bellhousing to 727 adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdimpala64, Mar 3, 2017.

1. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

Anyone here on the hamb familiar with this adapter? Was wondering if someone here
    has used it or has any experience with it. Looks like you have to modify the case substantially to make it work. Thanks.

2. deucemac

deucemac

Call Patrick at Wilcap, he is a nice guy and will explain anything you need to know about any of his adapters. Makes for a nice, no surprise purchase.

3. 73RR

73RR

Here is a bump for the weekend crowd.

Good luck.

4. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

Thanks for the input. I will call Patrick. Just a little concerned about the bolts on the front pump.

5. 73RR

73RR

I am a bit surprised by the lack of response (actual users). Perhaps this may speak to the number of folks who have actually done this swap.

6. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

73rr,
    After our conversation, I decided to post this up. I wanted to see if there were any actual users
    on the site. There was a 727 with adapter on the for sale forum, but don't know if it was ever used.

7. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Don't recall if it was Wilcap or Bendstens, but one of them discontinued this adapter.

9. This one? Looks like you need to mill off the tranny bell housing and bolt the adaptor to the front pump.

727 adaptor.jpg

10. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

d2_willys: Still available from Wilcap
    willys36: Yes, that's the adapter I'm inquiring about. Wondering if anybody on the hamb has used it.
    I'm a little concerned about how the adapter attaches to the front pump, since that is the only thing
    that is going to support the transmission.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patrick would not sell it if it were not sturdy and safe.

12. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

gimpyshotrods: I'm sure its safe, just wanted too know if anybody have any experience with
    the adapter here on the hamb.

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

This is done all the time with our drag cars. We buy a "ultra-bell" and saw off the bell on the trans . Longer bolts bolt it up to the front pump housing . Most of the time we Helicoil the case holes to make them stronger than just the Aluminum threads. Heres a thought ,we run a mid plate between the engine and trans that also works as a crossmember . It provides a lot of support for that connection ,vrs. a front mount and a rear crossmember.You can Google "Ultrabell " to see how it basically goes on.

14. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

joecool: Thanks for the info