Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The (T) Bucket List

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Koz

Koz

Unfortunately, most of the buckets being built now are a bit morphed into more streetable versions than the ones I remember from my youth. The few that were around this area back then were not only crude but downright dangerous. Nobody had any money so everything was homebrew. I've even updated the one I'm building, substituting a '57 Vette trans and '55 rear for the '39 box and banjo only because I'll be able to beat it a bit more with that combo.

I particularly like Swade 41's grey car in that it captures that mid 1960's vibe that I love so much. I can imagine taking a bleach blonde to the drive in in that wearing my best Beach Boys striped shirt and seeing Doris Days latest comedy. (Actually, one of my sisters ugly friends was closer to the truth, but with enough Boones Farm who cared).

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow Koz a lot of truth there. We all built our sisters friend that wouldn't put out even with the Boones Farm into the beautiful blonde.

I did have a friend that drug around the makings of a Kookie Kar with him wherever he landed when his latest friend got tired of him hanging around. I grew up found my beautiful blond/redhead (whatever she felt like) and settled down. I sometimes wonder what happened to him. He did drive a hot flathead powered '40 Ford coupe for a while before I lost track of him. Gawd his name eludes me now. (Gene)
    On the tip of my tongue. Our mutual friend Jim died a few years ago but not before I gave him a ride in my bucket.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I know I've seen it before but can't put a name to it so I can search it out.
    I'd like to check out some pics to get a better look at the top and some other details.
    Can someone fill in a few details???

thanks!
    17022365_10208707368824861_8495559507522277197_n.jpg

rfraze, AHotRod, EVL401 and 5 others like this.
  4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Come on guys....somebody must know that car above! LOL

5. butch27

butch27

I know a little about it. I think it used to have a Buick V-6 in it and was built by someone in Minnasota around 1980s. by a guy named Mike.

6. dmc3113

dmc3113

Mike Mason was the owner. 215 c.i. aluminum Buick, 4 speed, and irs

7. dmc3113

dmc3113

FB_IMG_1489452404552.jpg

EVL401 and Lil'Alb like this.
  8. dmc3113

dmc3113

According to a FB T Bucket page the original builder still owns it. And no changes have been made to it since it was built.

c2355 likes this.
  9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Which FB page would that be?
    My understanding, from the info I've since picked up, is that the 27 Mod with the roof has been on the missing list for years now.
    Mr Mason has apparently been trying to track it down...with no luck unfortunately.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've always been curious to know when a Model T RPU ceases to be that and becomes a T bucket with the smaller bed.
    Some of those T buckets pictured on the first few pages of this thread look great, but one wonders how they could ever see well out thru the windshield when the top was up...

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I did a search... no mention of the 1:1 clone of the Big-T? A top 5 bucket for me. Gary
    [​IMG]

enloe and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  12. dmc3113

dmc3113

Bob Lemke's page T-buckets. That info was posted Jan.18 this year. I didn't have my glasses on when I searched last night. If it/was the same car there have been A LOT of changes!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  13. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

as far as the endless debate from reading old hot rodding literature the name seems to come into use in the early '50's around the time of and associated with the Kookie/Ivo cars also in talking to a few old timers the term "bucket" refers to a shortened rpu/pickup bed so if it has a turtle deck, a beer keg, a gas tank or just a taillight it's NOT a T "bucket"

it can't be.... one is a'27 touring cut off and the other is obviously a glass "kookie kar" radically sectioned '23 roadster

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Blue One likes this.
  14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

When it was parked in Winnamucca Nevada.

DSCN0699.jpg

EVL401 likes this.
  15. dmc3113

dmc3113

You are correct. According to Gene Sonnen The car with the coil over front suspension was later updated with a Buick V-6 and was later sold. Mike is looking for it also. The one that was pictured on the T-bucket FB page is a later build by Mason yhat he still owns.

16. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Nice T. But I would ditch the front wheels and tires....wheels are too wide, wheels are dished way too much, and tires are way too wide. That's just me, what would you do?

EVL401 and enloe like this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Umm... wrong.

mad mikey and Blue One like this.
  18. IronTrap

IronTrap

The "Free-T" engine_mockup2.JPG engine_mockup3.JPG engine_mockup1.JPG

EVL401, Craig M, Dannerr and 15 others like this.
  19. looking good.

20. A Boner

A Boner

Looking good. I would raise the ass end a little. Either level or just a slight rake.
    As of late this style T has become my favorite....would like to see some up date pics when you make some more progress!

21. Squablow

Squablow

IronTrap, I really like this one, especially the wheelbase in relation to the body and grille placement (grille directly above front axle, not too much deck hanging off the back, ect.). I also like the grille height too, some of these get cut down so far it looks like you wouldn't get much more than a heater core in there. This one is a very good fit. Very nice proportions.

22. IronTrap

IronTrap

This is the first time it was off the chassis table to check ride height and all. The rear will stay where it's at. It's getting one size smaller front tires and I think that should give the small rake that will help the stance, if not I can flatten the front cross member to get it there. It's built out of cast-away/left over parts I have so I only had 6.00-16's kicking around currently. Thanks!

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

user1721_pic23052_1224350258.jpg
    The Peter Beater T from a while back. Fun as hell.

EVL401 likes this.
  24. lake_harley

lake_harley

IronTrap....the suicide doors on your T have me wondering.....is the body the rear half of a touring car moved forward to the cowl perhaps?

Lynn

25. verde742

verde742

throw some tall hardwood blocks between body and frame.. raise body to match radiator shell.

no ? o well have fun anyway !!!

26. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks! I stared at just about every 40's era photo I could find of T roadsters and and picked the stuff I liked out of all of them. I think a lot of guys go wrong with the overall proportions on these cars. A lot of the old dry lakes and dirt cars were just slapping together stuff to get them to get to the next weekends race or go faster, so proportions and looks weren't always the first thing they considered. Surprisgnly a lot of these parts I had sitting around and when they all came together it was like they were meant for this car. The grill is and old chopped one that I only channeled a little bit to get it sitting level with the cowl. A few little tweaks here and there and I think it will have "the look". Thanks for the kind words!

body_as_found.png framerails.jpg

Good Eye! The body started as a cast away, free T touring body I got and a set of 41-48 Ford car frame rails left over from scavenging the Center X-member. Those frame rails have a really nice sweep in the front and rear that gives you a nice low stance. Just takes some slicing and dicing to get them looking proportional. The slightly wider/deeper rear tub makes it a little more roomy inside of the car and allows you to sit more "in" the car rather than on top of the car. I decided to make the rear doors open and latch and look factory as a little challenge to myself. I had to build entire new door jambs/sills but I think it's coming out pretty good. Check my Youtube channel in my signature for videos of the process. I recently posted a video of making the side panel that deletes the rear wheel well body line and blends the into the door jamb area. A lot of work but it should be pretty neat when done!

moon_Matt_mockup.JPG

GASSERBOB, EVL401, slv63 and 7 others like this.
  27. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

1924ModelT (6).jpg Here is my dad's bucket t.

28. Butch1

Butch1
    from Upstate NY

Because they want to and can. It's really very simple

29. HERE A 1965-6 BUILT T WE JUST PULLED FROM A OLD SERVICE STATION AFTER 40+ YEARS AND RESEARCHING ITS HISTORY.. THE TOP PIC IS NOW, BOTTOM WAS A 70S ROD POWER MAGAZINE LAYOUT.. I HAVE A THREAD GOING ON IT IF ANYONE REMEMBERS AND KNOWS THE CAR... s-l1600NNN.jpg

20180212_225421.jpg

EVL401, Nads and enloe like this.
  30. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

1041BD66-7577-4531-AE5F-9A7BAFED2F55.jpeg Built by Magoo in 1965 sold to Bob Hetherington LA Roadsters member in 68 put in storage in the early 70’s

Attached Files: