Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Caddy 390 v Olds 371

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeLuxe 32, Mar 11, 2017.

1. I've narrowed it down to 2 engines for my 32 sedan, but really need some thoughts, opinions and real world experience from people in the know. Pros and Cons, what do I need to know, what would you do differently if you were rebuilding your engine again??

Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Do you have both around to look at? I would prefer a 394 Olds over the 371, the 394 was made through 1964, the 371 dropped out in 1961 IIRC. Both are torque monsters. Transmission adapters are available for the automatics if you want a later OD unit. Wilcap and Bendtsens have the best selection.

Tony on here (goatroper) may be a big help, he plays extensively with the 394 Olds engines.

The big thing after that is logistics, where the exhaust, starter, oil pan, etc. all fall out.

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  3. Cadillac 390 performance parts are expensive!!!

And very rare.

DeLuxe 32 and falcongeorge like this.
  4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Not much to choose between as far as fitting them in the car goes.Rebuild Parts are about equally available.If I were doing it I would use the one that was in the best condition and most complete.If you already own both engines good for you!

5. Thanks for the info guys. To clarify i dont have either engine, rather will be getting one built.

bobss396, Ive been chatting with Tony over the last few days. He is definately a wealth of information.

61cad, tell me about it ! I was looking on ebay for 4 x 2 manifold for a caddy and they are $$$$ ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a 324, not a 371, but I have noticed Olds speed equipment is lots cheaper and more plentiful than Cad stuff.

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  7. DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  8. samurai mike

samurai mike

both have plenty of power in stock form to pull a little 32. look at the cars they came out of! i like cadillac myself.

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  9. Olds starter is on the drivers side, right in the way of the steering box. Cad on other side.

warbird1 and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  10. Thanks clunker, I'll check it out.

I don't think what ever my final choice is will be too far from stock, as I have already had some good feedback from some of the Caddy gurus, to keep it mild. And yeah, those Caddys wouldn't fit in my garage, so no probs motorvating my 32

This is good to know, especially since mine is going to be RHD...

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you right-hand drive, the olds might be your only choice, I don't know if anyone ever made a starter changeover for a cad. Are there any mini-starters available that fit the cad? You need to check into this before you decide which motor to go with.

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  12. This only pertains to early Cad:

I assume you are using an adapter to run a standard shift tranny? If so, you'll have your choice of starters. The Wilcap adapter for a Cad 390 uses Mopar starter

[​IMG]

If, for some reason, you run the original Jetaway, if you go with a Cad, they do make mini starters, but you have to get the right year, the bell housing/starter interface changed frequently and often don't interchange year to year.

DeLuxe 32 and rod1 like this.
  13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I am a 371 fan and have had a few in my time. The first one, a 1960, was rebuilt using 1959 pistons, and Isky cam, and a 4bbl carb. It was bolted to a 54 Olds slant pan hydro. Minor machine work to crank for pilot bearing, along with counterbalancing the hydro flywheel. What I liked about it was that the hydro bolted right up. Another positive was that 1959 and 1960 371's are really debored 394s, therefore stronger than the 1957-58s. What was a slight negative was that 371 and 394 engines are externally balanced, therefore the flywheel balancing. The left side starter is also a possible obstacle.

The Cadillac blocks are a good choice too, but only having a 1954 331 does not make me an expert. I do know that 1955 and up had better cylinder heads.

59Fins and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I thought you were running a Flatty?

15. Yeah I was...seems a bit silly since it caused me such stress to get it in the first place.

It's a flip of the coin at the moment...if I can find a 4 x 2 Caddy intake then I will probably go that route, but if not Olds it is. Those Caddy parts are $$$$ and hard to find it seems.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you want solid lifters like I did, and you go Olds, be prepared for the hunt for adjustable rockers, they are fairly hard to find. Intakes are fairly easy to find, and less than half the price of the equivalent cad intake. I paid around $600 for my edelbrock 4x2 with 4 94's, around $250 for a 2x4 offy, and around the same for a 6x2 Drag Star. The Edelbrock OL-496 4x2 and the Horne/Cragar 4x2 seem to be about the most desirable, I think for most guys, the OL-496 and the Offy/Wieand are probably the best performer for a typical hot rodded 6000 rpm-ish motor. The Horne/Cragar is desirable because of rarity, but as a single plane, my hunch is it won't perform as well as the other two on a typical mild street motor. I have a gut feeling the Offy/Wieand 2x4 might actually work the best on a typical mild/moderate street driven rocket motor, even though it's probably the least "glamourous". My car isn't running yet, so I haven't had the chance to try them all out.

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  17. Here's my vote.
    50olds.jpg

DeLuxe 32 and falcongeorge like this.
  18. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Adjustable rocker arms for an Olds are not hard to find....... nor is anything else for a rocket..... We reproduce and sell it all.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

B Bay Barn, 1927graham, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  19. What's your company. How do people find you.

20. I'll get this one...Ross Racing Engines

rossracingengines.com

clunker likes this.
  21. A trip to Tony's shop in OH should be on everyones bucket list! His work and attention to detail on his performance engines is without an equal IMHO

1927graham likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

No doubt.

warbird1 and 61cad like this.

23. Is that one of Tony's creations in your avatar?

Tell us more....

24. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Quite similar to mine, 324 with 371 pistons, couple differences, I have offset guides so I can fit a 2.02 intakes, Thomas rockers, and an Isky E-3 solid ground by Pete1.

27. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Sounds like some good combos.
    I like the idea of adding cubes to the 324,
    Internal ballance, easy to find small bore lifters and if pre '56, easier to find cams.

Although I do like a stock J2 for looks and factory performance appeal too.

I'm running a '56 324 in my roadster,
    Wouldn't do anything different there,
    4x2 cragar, solid cam, forged Ross pistons, Lasalle transmission, quickchange rear.

And have a '58 J2 stick motor all fresh and ready for the right car to put it in.

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

A guy was trying to sell me a 371 just last night.

29. AND THE HOARDER SPEAKS.........................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

30. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Tony, correct me if I'm wrong, but you could also run adj. pushrods in lieu of adj. rockers?