Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Here is the video i took of the startup.

We did some practice last week on the flat glass which worked out pretty good. I think Chuck is ordering 2 windshields, so we will see what happens.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  2. The engine sounds great,especially when the battery cables are in place! :D HRP

3. Is the " no oil pressure" room for concern?

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The oil pressure started to come up alright. We didn't run the engine for but a few seconds cause of all the oil smoke in the closed shop from the oil we put in the cylinders for startup.
    I'd have opened the big door, but it was still snowing outside. Its like spring is never going to get here. Dammit I want winter over with.!!

5. I guess we still don't have a windshield? HRP

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hey Danny. Still no windshield. As hard as they were to find I ordered 2 of em. They were supposed to arrive on Friday, but they didn't make it.
    We did get an exhaust system put in this week. The shop that did the work did just an excellent job.Super quiet mufflers. Our gas line was in the way so we moved it away from the exhaust today. We also did adjustment on the ebrake cables. They work well now. The engine still has a bunch of valve clatter, so we have to learn how to adjust the valves on a 289. I'm gonna work on that tomorrow. Been reading up on it.
    We did take the wagon for a really short ride today. It's below freezing and friggin cold with no wind shield! The tranny worked nicely.
    There's very little left to do now. The windshield, the vinyl roof, and lots of detailing

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Toymont likes this.
  7. You guys keep checking things off and you should have a finished car by spring.

Not to rub it in but I worked with the garage doors open today,almost 70 degrees. HRP

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Damn! The oil pressure just isn't what it should be........ Tear down time! I'm gonna start with a new oil pump and see if that does the trick. My week just got busier.

9. Great sound, however I must caution that you should never stand in front of a running vehicle that is being worked on. Always to the side. That is how I was taught. JMHO

jakespeed63 and grumpy32 like this.
  10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Y'know Bob, you're right ! Thanks for the advice. That never crossed my mind but it sure is a good safety tip. Thank you.

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Something else to consider.What body parts would be in the way if one of the blades came loose from the fan hub?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

jakespeed63 likes this.
  12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Good news, Bad news.
    We pulled the engine and found the drive shaft from the distributor to the oil pump had sheared.
    So I got a new high volume pump and shaft. We installed it and with an old distributor shaft and a drill gave the pump a spin. Only two rockers oiled. DAMN ! Obviously some of the internal oil passages are plugged. This is gonna require a complete re-build. I knew this was a possibility when I purchased the engine and tranny, but sometimes you luck out, and sometimes you don't.
    On a brighter note, the windshields finally arrived ( I purchased two just in case) and it is time to try our hand at cutting glass.
    Lo and behold we pulled it off! AND on the first try.
    GLASS.png We don't ever want to do this again .. Hopefully Dana will post a video soon. It is SOOOOO stressful. Now to have it installed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  13. Chuck,as bad as it is (the engine) I think you guys made a major step in the right direction with cutting the windshield andy getting it eight the first time,congratulations.

It sucks that the engine is bad but you guys can rebuild it and I'm sure it will not be as nerve racking as the windshield.

BTW,I hinted a while back I would tell you about a friend and a chopped top VW,they cut the windshield and didn't have a problem but the broke 5 rear windows.:eek: HRP

14. JBurt

JBurt

Glad the glass went well.

15. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Here is a link to the whole video showing the cutting of the windshield, sorry it is about 16 minutes long as I don't know how to edit it.

16. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Before we could make the long cut we had to cut the corners to relieve some stress. it is the same procedure as the long cut. Here is the video of that so much shorter.

17. You guys have got Balls!:D

I cut glass for more than 45 years,single pane,shop mirror,plate glass I my art & frame shop but I never had the balls to cut a windshield

We the glass cutter made the pop sound slipping off the edge the of windshield it made me cringe, I have broke many pieces of glass like that.HRP

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It's a butt puckering experience for sure! It's weird, but by the time we were done we were all exhausted.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Holding your breath will wear you out! :D HRP

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

YOU TUBE.jpg
    Yeah, a mere mortal shouldn't try this stuff, but everyone at Strange Days is
    "YOU TUBE CERTIFIED"

HJLrulz, Johnboy34 and Toymont like this.
  21. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Great job on the windshield! Too bad about the motor though, :( Now that you have your u-tube certs are ya cut the other for a spare? ;)

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The glass shop said they'd take the other one back. I'll need the money for the engine. :(

Johnboy34 likes this.
  23. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

We will be taking the engine down to my brothers shop in Hamilton tomorrow for a full rebuild. He has all of the real certifications and is one of the best mechanics around.

24. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Did you guy's get a chance to go through the gears first? Hopefully that will be fine when your done.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We did go through the gears, and that seemed alright. It needs a longer test drive however. Hope springs eternal.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Chaz.The old saying"Into every life a little rain must fall".But some days it just seems like a monsoon.Have the pucker strings relaxed some since you got the windshield cut:rolleyes::p?
    Leo

27. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I don't feel too bad about it. It'll be nice to have a fresh reliable engine in there. I was just being cheap, and it bit me in the ass. I always figure its worth a try...................

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Oh yeah.Been there done that a time or 5 myself.
    Leo

29. Will the engine get a stroker kit while it's laying there? :)

30. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Mild cam is all.