Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bonneville - Belly Tanks - Magazine Article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very good coverage of Belly Tank Racing at Bonneville last year, in a non-traditional magazine. if you are so inclined, take a look at the latest issue of ROADKILL Magazine / Spring 2017 - bypass all of the strange crap and go directly to page 32 - attached are pics of pages. SAM_2032.JPG SAM_2033.JPG SAM_2034.JPG SAM_2035.JPG SAM_2036.JPG

mgtstumpy, S.F. and Speed Gems like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

helps get motivated to go to "The Big Salt" this year

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

motivate you to build one?

5. oj

oj

I'm in the design phase of one right now, plan to have it out there in 2 years.

6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I have always been open minded enough to learn Something,no matter where. Makes me a better overall car guy and enhances my skill level. Jimmy Shine told me to look everywhere for ideas and then apply the methods to build your next hot rod to just that.How did they make that mount,how did they drill that hole of finsh-bend that piece. Gives me an idier to make my floor pan this way or that way.Iam not gonna build a turbo BB chevelle any time soon.
    If this mag or others scares you then have someone tape back the offending pages so you can only read the good ones.Dont be afraid to learn something.The two guys in this book get it more than you think.

denis4x4 and 05snopro440 like this.
  7. This (February 18, 2016) Chris Shelton STREET RODDER article (with photos by Greg Sharp, Tim @notrod13 Sutton, etc.) is also a good read:

Belly Tanks, the Ultimate Hot Rods

[​IMG]

Built for Speed

Every movement has its mascot, an emblem of sorts that represents that movement’s purpose. The dragster, for example, with its oversized rear tires, mountainous engine, and long, slender chassis has one goal: to accelerate as rapidly as possibly in a short, straight line. Show anyone a picture of one and they’ll tell you as much.

If the belly tank isn’t the mascot for land speed racing already it probably should be. “They’re iconic,” observed historian and NHRA museum curator Greg Sharp. “You look at one and you know it’s a Bonneville car. People know that even if they’re not an enthusiast.” Belly tanks are the essence of the breed, a purpose-built missile with one objective: to slip through wind with as little resistance as possible. The belly tank was made for racing.

[​IMG]

Only the belly tank wasn’t made for racing, much less automotive use, something that makes it the ideal goodwill ambassador of land speed racing. The belly tank wasn’t intended for racing as much as adapted to it. Just as it took a few open-minded kids to realize the racing potential in a derelict Model T or some dry lakebeds outside of town, it took some creativity to see the racing potential of a part intended for an airplane. “They’re a great example of hot rod ingenuity, to think that you could take a gas tank from an airplane and make a car out of it,” Sharp notes. What better car to race on a found track than one built from found parts?

That’s a romantic notion but it doesn’t explain the belly tank’s immortality. Part of it is the tank’s essential nature. They are, for the most part, the blankest of canvases: a torpedo flanked by four skinny wheels, the very picture of aerodynamics. In that sense the tank represents a sort of level playing field among racers; it’s pretty tough to improve upon the general shape without creating an entirely different thing. Consequently tanks emphasize a team’s preparation and thoughtfulness in a similar way that spec-series racing emphasizes driver skill over dollars.

Tanks also reflect their owners’ exceedingly diverse interests. Progressive-oriented racers capitalize on tanks’ ultra-efficient shapes to prove just how much potential remains in highly evolved modern engines. More traditionally oriented racers use tanks as a low-cost means to prove we haven’t wrung the most from obsolete engines, despite decades of their development. A yet more purist camp builds tanks with parts specific to an era if only to run in the tracks of racers past.

[​IMG]

But ultimately it came down to cost. As Tom Beatty wrote in his account of how he built his record-toppling tank in the 1952 Fawcett book How to Build a Hot Rod, “…If you’re looking for top speed at the lowest possible cost, a belly tanker is the answer.” Indeed, as the muscle cars proved a few years later, people love the most bang for the buck.

But to understand what the belly tank means to land speed racing we have to know where we’ve been. Thankfully that’s a well-charted course.

[​IMG]

A GI at the Genesis

World War II changed America. It sure changed the face of what would eventually be called the hot rod.

That’s not to say what we now call hot rods didn’t exist prior to the war. Whether called a gow job, a hop-up, or other obsolete term they all adhered to the same basic premise as the hot rod: strip everything essential from an older car and modify it to go as fast as possible by any means necessary.

[​IMG]

The war didn’t change that but it sure made it a lot easier. For those who don’t know, belly tanks were devised as a means to increase a fighter’s flight range. Strangely, tanks were a relatively recent thing for the United States; while other countries’ militaries embraced the tanks decades earlier ours resisted them until our involvement in the war. In fact, the tanks proved their merit in the Pacific Theater, where a young racer and Coast Guardsman named Bill Burke first saw them on a barge in Guadalcanal.

“My god, what a beautiful piece of streamlining that is,” Burke noted in Mark Christensen and Tony Thacker’s book SO-CAL Speed Shop: The Fast Tale of the California Racers who Made Hot Rod History. “I knew the dimensions of a Ford rearend and the size of an engine block and could see they’d fit.”

[​IMG]

“It’s pretty simple,” Bobby Green, one of the new guards of the belly tank movement, says. “Guys running before the war … were building cars that looked like belly tanks.” In 1939, to be specific, a racer named Bob Rufi built a car that forecasted the belly tank in its overall shape.

“It makes sense,” he continues. “You go to war and you see a piece of metal that looks like Rufi’s car—looks even better maybe. If it’s stamped by the government you know they probably spent a fortune on wind-tunnel testing. It makes a whole lot of sense—guys had to think, ‘It’ll save me a whole ton of time over having to pound out a teardrop shape by hand.’ I mean if it was me I’d do the same thing—I am doing the same thing.”

[​IMG]

And Burke did just that when he returned from service. Only the car didn’t fit the image we know today. The tank he found at a shop on Alameda Street in Los Angeles measured 165 gallons, about half the size of the more popular tanks that followed. Given the smaller envelope Burke couldn’t place the driver inside the tank ahead of the engine as Rufi did in his car; instead, he left the engine up front and welded a bicycle seat to the driveshaft housing and let the driver hang out of the body.

Burke and Don Francisco built a second tank in 1947. They based the car on the Model T frame but with a larger P-38 tank that let the driver sit ahead of the engine. Trivia: they crashed the first of these rear-engine tanks; the tank everyone associates with Burke and Francisco, “Sweet 16”, was actually Burke’s third tank.

[​IMG]

By the time Sweet 16 appeared in the Aug. ’49 issue of Hot Rod the editors proclaimed it the world’s fastest hot rod. Indeed it set records from its inception, from a 139.21 in 1947, a 144.855 in early 1948, and 149.40 that August. In July 1949, Burke and Francisco ran 151.085, making the car the first with a two-way average faster than 150.

Burke and Francisco’s tank was influential also because Burke built another 10 just like it for other people. “He’d put rollers together and sell ’em,” Bobby Green notes. “Other guys would put their engines in and go racing.”

[​IMG]

That’s exactly what Alex Xydias did when he and Clyde Sturdy built the famed SO-CAL Speed Shop tank. Prior to the tank Sturdy piloted the channeled Deuce roadster that bore the SO-CAL name and graphics, the lakes car that served as the prototype for the company’s latter-day roadsters.

The tank was progressive—its primary exhaust tubes merged into a collector and exited like a stinger at the back of the car—and fast. The car ran classes A, B, and C and achieved significant success with the A-class V-8/60 engine that Bobby Meeks built. According to Walt Woron’s account in the Dec. ’48 Speed Age, the car set the record at 129.05 at the second meet of 1948, the car’s first time out. In fact, Xydias and Sturdy set numerous records in the three classes until racers like Mal Hooper and Ray Brown made record-smashing statements with their Chrysler at the 1952 Bonneville Nationals.

[​IMG]

Alex Xydias and Clyde Sturdy weren’t the only ones to capitalize on the marketing potential. Speed part manufacturer Earl Evans bought another Burke roller and assembled it as a rolling billboard for his heads and manifolds. And like SO-CAL, he toppled records, including the 166-mph top speed in C/Streamliner at the inaugural Bonneville meet.

Driven first by Bob Ward and then George Bentley (who later partnered with the Sadd brothers and Al Teague in one of the most famous roadsters), the tank set the record at 175.76 in 1950 and 180 in 1951 at Bonneville and set an incredible 181 mph on the dirt at El Mirage.

[​IMG]

Prior to the formation of the Lakester class in late 1950, tank cars had to compete in the Streamliner classes and didn’t stand a chance against the full-bodied cars. But the Lakester class, with its open wheels and 36-inch-maximum body width, catered almost specifically to cars built within tanks.

Naturally a flood of teardrop-shaped race cars followed. Probably one of the most engineered belonged to Beatty. It was one of the first to boast a full chromoly space frame. Whereas short drivelines usually meant foregoing suspension, Beatty created a swing-axle design using a Ford centersection and driveshaft bells. Beatty, due in part to his association with Barney Navarro, force-fed his Flathead with a Jimmy blower. At the car’s debut at the 1951 Bonneville Nationals it ran a staggering 188 mph and set the record at 185.809, making it not just the fastest car at the meet but the fastest open-wheeled car ever built to that point. It wasn’t the last time, either; with a combination of blown Flatheads and then Oldsmobiles, Beatty held the SCTA’s Top Speed of the Season from 1951-55 and again in 1959.

[​IMG]

Along with the advent of the Lakester class, the new SCTA engine classifications opened the horizon for near countless opportunities to set records. Until this point engines were classified A, 0-183 ci; B, 183-250; C, 250-350; and D for anything larger, but the new classifications inverted the alphanumeric system giving very small engines an even greater opportunity.

Al Jerauld and George Barber built a comically small V-8/60 by sleeving and de-stroking it to 88.78 ci. Running in O class (0-91 ci) the equally small tank set its first record at 105.5.

[​IMG]

Another wildly unconventional tank, or should we say tanks, belonged to cam grinder Howard Johansen. The mad genius he was, he configured the tanks as catamarans with the driver in one and the engine in another with a homemade transmission and a severely truncated Ford axle driving a solid rear axle by chain.

According to Paul D. Smith’s Merchants of Speed the first of these tanks actually made it to the inaugural Bonneville, and despite having to make a last-minute steering change (the officials didn’t like Johansen’s cable steering) actually ran. Despite its relatively good 176-mph speed, the car didn’t live up to Johansen’s expectations. He built another powered first by a DeSoto and then a Dodge Hemi. A failure in the homemade transmission (quick-change gears for easy tuning—genius!) nearly did in the car and driver, Lloyd Scott, at 225 mph. Handling problems allegedly plagued the car and Johansen scrapped it to concentrate on his successful Crosley.

[​IMG]

With this kind of experimentation crashes are inevitable. And at the incredible speeds racers were reaching, crashes were inevitably ugly. Though Harvey Haller was only practicing when he hit a pucker bush—a group of grass or small plants that somehow gains purchase on the lakebed and gathers dust till it forms a mound—his death was just as significant.

[​IMG]

Haller, a naval aviator, built his car for $690 in Oahu, then Territory of Hawaii. Once stateside, the car appeared on the Apr. ’53 Hot Rod cover. He teamed with Frank Breene and with a 364-inch Chrysler he earned a spot in the 200 MPH Club at the 1953 Nationals by setting the D-Lakester record at 209.48 mph. According to Sharp, he died a month to the day after the run.

[​IMG]

Around that time the Reed brothers, Wayne and Roy, built another car that gained recognition for its paint as much as anything else. Artist Von Dutch flamed it and applied his signature flying eyeball to its nose as showcased in the Feb. ’55 issue of Hot Rod.

But to racers it was notable for other reasons. “That thing went faster than stink,” Sharp says. “It went faster than 200 with an Ardun in it.” It also had notable pilots, among them LeRoy Neumayer, who owned and drag raced with the Chrisman brothers the famed Harry Lewis/Doug Carothers modified that became the Chrisman brothers’ famed No. 25 dragster. With Neumayer driving and Ardun power, the car achieved 205.71 mph in 1954.

[​IMG]

Its next driver gained an unfortunate kind of fame though. John Donaldson died as a result of the crash in the car in 1955. His was the first fatality at Bonneville, one that ushered in a new set of rules, including head-high rollbars.

[​IMG]

By the late ’50s, tank design was considerably more refined. The tank Bob and Charlie Markley and Larry Nieri built placed the driver entirely inside the nose surrounded by a full cage. The engine started as a ’55 Plymouth poly but with the addition of Dodge heads became a Hemi. With the addition of a GMC blower it became wicked fast, too, hitting nearly 300 mph in 1963.

[​IMG]

Rebirth of the Cool

Though belly tank interest ebbed over the following decades it enjoyed a renaissance in the last 10 years. Though not all of the enthusiasts came from a racing background they all seemed to see the tank as a form of wide-open opportunity. “I remember the first time I went to the lakes,” Bobby Green, one of the sport’s new vanguards, says. “I can’t remember a single tank running. My first thought was, ‘Oh, let’s bring that back.’”

Starting in 2000, Green started collecting parts to build a tank in the name of his Burbank hobby shop, Old Crow Speed Shop. “I didn’t really do it thinking that I would be competitive,” he admits. “I wanted to get involved but almost in like a reenactment sort of way—which now that I say it that way it sounds sort of, oh, you know…”

Within four years he and his crew, Logan Davis, Drew Pietsch, Del Ushenko, Joe Teague, and engine builder Max Herman, pieced together a race car from almost entirely period ’40s and ’50s parts: an unknown Grumman-style tank, 18-inch Kelsey-Hayes accessory disc wheels, and a B-block, among them. “Just finding a four-banger engine that would actually go faster than 100 mph took forever,” he admits, noting his fortune to have one of the Hermans of H&H Antique Ford on his side. “I tell people I could’ve built five roadsters in the time it took to build this car because every single thing is custom-made except the body. And then making everything fit inside … it’s close to impossible.

[​IMG]

“Of course it turned into quite a competitive current-racing type of thing because the tank turned out so dynamic even by today’s standards,” he continues. “We actually got a bunch of records.” In fact, they’ve won five, ranging from 104.365 to 146.819 mph in Vintage Four-cylinder engine classes on gas and alcohol. An engine failure prevented them from making a backup on a 165-mph run this past year.

Another racer, Erik Hansson, owner of Scandinavian Street Rod in Huntington Beach, has a slightly different perspective. While racers like Green avoid using technology not available to racers of yore, Hansson embraces it … to a point at least. The tank is vintage but he built his car within it by modern standards with a space frame, Öhlins coilovers on lever arms, antiroll bars, rack-and-pinion steering, and Wilwood brakes.

Still, he uses a Ford toploader transmission, a quick-change rear axle, and a Flathead. Only this Vrbancic-tuned Flathead wears a blower and makes 600-plus horsepower.

[​IMG]

This contract between power and history yields impressive speeds: three records from 194.7-195 and a fourth at 203 that got Hansson into the 200 MPH Club (his current record at the salt: 229.670). Most recently Hansson’s wife, Ruth Lundring, set another record in the Blown Gas Streamliner class at 199.511.

He got a leg up on the competition when he found his P-38 tank—a tank with racing history of its own—in 1992. “It was built in 1958 by a guy named Bob George from Redondo Beach,” he says. “He was a member of The Coupes Car Club (Sharp noted that The Coupes membership included luminaries Bobby Meeks, Don Towle, and the Pierson brothers). It went 147 miles and something.” Sharp recalled another tidbit: “George ran his car at the lakes with ‘Blessed are the poor for they shall inherit the Flathead’ crudely lettered on the body.”

“We’ve had a lot of fun,” Hansson notes. “Now my wife is running it in Model A Flathead. We’re making 320 hp from a Flathead four-cylinder. It’s 200 inches—on gasoline.” The secret? A Procharger force-feeds it through an intercooler and carburetors. “We qualified at 167 but we were not happy at all—it was too tall of a gear,” he noted. He assured us they’ll get there, though.

Others, like Julio Hernandez, aren’t so much interested in competing with today’s racers as much as racers past. “I do it as a tribute to my friends,” he emphasizes. “Nolan White and Joaquin Arnett, those are my heroes.

The tank, as Hernandez explained, was his way to make that connection. “We—my guys in the Bean Bandits—have a real successful roadster.” In fact that car holds two records at 193.764 set during the May 2011 El Mirage meet and another at 218.566 at Bonneville. “But I needed to take a break so I got to my tank. It was seven years before I made something for myself.”

[​IMG]

Until recently Hernandez and Jeff Arnett have limited their efforts with the tank to testing with near-stock engines but this year they ran the car with Joaquin Arnett’s Ardun. “We haven’t done anything special with the tank. We did 144 with the Ardun at this last Bonneville,” he admits. “But now we have to get real serious about it. We’ve never had any problems with it but you just have to take baby steps so you don’t get hurt.

“My personal goal is to go backward as to not have the advantages of modern parts,” he added. “You’re able to get any record you want … but you have to build a modern-style car to get them. For us it’s not about being one of the better ones out there today as much as being as good ones from yesterday.

“Me? I’d like to go as fast as or faster than guys like Tom Beatty or Jerauld. Whether it’s 180 or two-something at Bonneville, as long as it’s a legitimate speed for this kind of car that’s good enough. We love these old-timers but we can go faster with the same parts—at least we can try. That’s the goal.”

[​IMG]

If the Forever Four Cylinder Club has a dirty secret it’s to wring as much power out of its beloved engine: the early Flathead Ford four-banger. “The club had run a roadster for quite a few years but it had to be completely rebuilt,” member Dan Eubanks says. “Jim Brierly invited me to go with him and Ron (Mosher) to Bonneville in 2004. I got to looking around and it looked like tanks were coming on. I went to the club and asked if we could build one.

“As far as we know it’s an F-105 tank that’s been cut down,” he continues. “The chassis is a tubular space frame, built entirely by club members and finished by a certified welder. “We’re running a ’54 Lincoln transmission and a quick-change axle that we modified for ’56 (pickup) backing plates and axles.”

The car’s two drivers build their own Model B engines. Ron Mosher’s runs a Eubanks-head (Dan Eubanks is a pattern maker by trade) and Hilborn injection. A centrifugal blower feeds the ’30s-era Cook head that Brierly has owned since the ’50s. As of August 2011 it holds the record at 161.991, an incredible feat considering the three Babbited main bearings. “The tank’s done pretty well,” Eubanks says. “We’ve got a record every year.”

There’s another side of tradition on the lakes: high technology. We tend to think of Chrysler engines as traditional but when Ray Brown and Mal Hooper made their marks in the record books their Chrysler engine was only a year old. That’s like going to war with an engine from 2010. By comparison, the ’05 Suzuki GSX-R 750 engine in Randy Motooka’s car is a veteran.

[​IMG]

“People ask me where I came up with that combination,” he says. “Well how do you out-engineer this engine? It’s pumping 140-something horsepower in stock form! From a 750 at that.” For a point of reference that’s 1,090 hp from a 350ci engine. “And it was cheap, too—it was a $1,000 engine with a custom pipe and a tuning kit.”

On their second year on the salt with an engine very close to stock trim Motooka and his partner Jeff Arnswald ran 165 on a 164-mph class record. “But that was the day it rained so we couldn’t back it up,” he says. Making matters worse, they hurt the engine just enough to prevent it from making full power.

“Of course after we didn’t make it I was kind of pouting,” he says. “One of the guys came over and said, ‘Look around. There are 500 guys out here. Most of ’em have been here for 10 years or more. And a lot of ’em have never even been to impound! You really have something to be proud of.’ That put it in perspective.

“The whole idea was that we weren’t going to chase records. But we did so well the first year, we did so well and had a ball. And this year when we went faster than the record, how can you not get into it? This next year we’re really going to go for it. But that was never the intention. This was a reason to keep us out of the bars. We weren’t going to get too overly serious but we are.”

[​IMG]

So should the belly tank be the mascot of land speed racing, the symbol that represents the idea that anyone can compete on whatever terms they wish? These racers sure think so. “It’s a hot rod, right?” Hansson asks. “Well if you’ve had all the roadsters you can have, what’s the next step? It’s a belly tank on the salt, with a Flathead.”

“The belly tank is the quintessential car,” Green adds. “It’s the iconic car that means land speed racing.” Randy Motooka, the newcomer whose modern angle seems at odds with Green’s ultra-traditional sensibilities, agreed.

“The tank is the purest form,” he began. “You can build a streamliner but you can build a lakester on a budget. And you’re really building a car, not modifying something that someone else built. A belly tank, it’s the purest way of getting all that aerodynamic advantage. And anyone can do it.”

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. It is funny how Bonneville will reward Folks, some bring home records and others frustration.
    This last year for me was frustration, gremlins abound.
    Taking the time for the photo shoot was a nice break to meet some of the others who have Tanks, and also to enjoy a few "adult" beverages.
    Well, as it worked out, One decent pass there would be all we could do, now, as time has gone by it has become evident that if we had another pass, the consequences would have been very expensive.

I am running out today to find this publication and buy a few.

To those of you who haven't been to Bonneville, it is like Crack or Heroin, only legal.
    BTW, I keep a glass bulb with Bonneville Salt hanging over my desk, in case of emergency.

John

Stogy likes this.
  9. rgdavid

rgdavid

Im glad i read all of that...or perhaps not...lol,
    Im allready in love with belly tanks , especially the Elmo Rodge tank.
    If that write up doesnt get your heart pumping heavily then you must be dead,
    What a beautiful dream.

The Arizona Old Crow likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. @Jalopy Joker -

I apologize for hi-jacking your thread (about the Roadkill magazine article) ... but when I read the thread title, the first thing I thought of was that SR magazine article from last year.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program ...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

13. oj

oj

I'd bet the original hot rodders' thoughts were more primal, 'I wonder if I can stuff both me and an engine in that thing'

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have a Bonneville room reservation yet?

16. wizardauto

wizardauto

It was a fun experience working with Elana, David and Wes. If you don't get hung up on the record thing you can have a lot of fun just being a "participant"....

05snopro440 likes this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. Nobey

Nobey

Great stuff, I was unaware of the Street Rodder issue, thanks. I think if I were to build a clone
    it would have to be Fred's Lady Bug.....

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. great read youse guys.....

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

worth another look

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Talk to Wayne for a race version of a drop tank. P38-Droptank.

He makes the Jack Kelly version, and races one also....

23. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

A really great article.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a peek

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

26. Good reading and thanks for the post. I have ben lucky enough to attend speed week for the last 6 or 7 years and it is the most fun you can have with your shorts on. I love watching the BT's and looking them over in the pits.
    Only six months to wait until it is time for speed week, so get your rooms and I will see ya there...

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

28. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Someone who gets it :)

I take every experience that way, "what can I learn from this?"

In this hobby, you don't have to like something to be able to find some good in it, or get ideas for your project. Bravo, sir.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DNice thread.Thanks for posting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for those of you that are dealing with bad weather that need some warming thoughts