Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features How's this for an A?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to tell for sure with this car...it has a reputation for getting all four wheels off the ground...LOL:eek:

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

LOTS of cars and trucks got that treatment over the decades. But I find it pretty boring... it's like taking a magic marker and outlining just inside the lines of a coloring book. Those aren't the kinds of licks I think of when I think hot rod pin striping. These days, I see it most on those Boar's Head meat delivery trucks. Gary

3. car is cool and looks right..........with the hood closed.
    with the hood open, the tires, wheels and stance don't match.
    40's hot rod or sixties hot rod?

4. sololobo

sololobo

right out of the little books, please note Beatle boot style footwear by both in the image!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

By the way does anyone have the paint code for the near Perfect red they use on Boar's Head trucks?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool pic flip, got rid of those "RAGARC Z/Z" wheels. Also, for those not picking up the reference to the engine it simply means the idea that the tried and true A motor was hopped up, the extra few RPM singing through the VHT white headers no doubt could be enjoyed in the same part of the brain that enjoys the Soprano of an Offy. Such was the monthly prose we enjoyed in the mags of the time. That could be a topic spanning several pages, things written within the features back then, but taken literally, can be hard to understand today. Maybe even considered a bit of a falsehood, but it wasn't. Light-hearted fun copy from contributors.

7. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Banjo, just a little tongue in cheek humor!

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

I was a toddler when these photos were taken. Cars like this left a lifetime impression on me. Love.

I also agree the sixties car-mag writing style takes some getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. banjorear

banjorear

Got it. All good. I like the A in your avatar too.

catdad49 likes this.
  10. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Hey, I guess I'm just a little younger than you, cause we called the shoes "Beatle Boots" in school. Had to have a pair to be cool..............................;)

11. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Great one Joe! This tub, and Dick Rundell's, plus the whole Early Times California rake, spoker front, fogged fender look in my eyes is just as pertinent as ANY earlier gow job pre war and post war look! Need more of this style TODAY!

primed34 and HunterYJ like this.
  12. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

When I was a kid, 15, 16, Bob lived a block from my house in El Cajon, a suburb of San Diego and watched that car being put together in his garage. Every time I would see that phaeton parked around a San Diego event, there would be a group of skirts around it. LOL, LOL, Bob was quite a Ladies Man back in the day.

13. Man, tough crowd around here...

I like tubs :) Ive never seen this one and i have seen a lot of phaeton pics. Thanks for sharing!

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like your coupe. I do believe both Keith and Ryan hated to see it go. Cool ride.

Rand Man likes this.
  15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That style was later referred to as "restorod". The next style was "slicking down" your restorod, removing cowl lights, horns (snail horns), original taillights and headlights, maybe door handles, eliminating pastel, original colors.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

upload_2017-3-11_21-30-46.png
    WOW, those are some points.................................................on those shoes!
    Just an observation!:cool:
    KK

17. primed34

primed34

The restorods that I remember didn't really look much like the mid to late '60s rods. They didn't have much of a rubber rake, had stock looking paint, and all the factory items you find or afford. Of course then came the slicked down or smoothie era along with pastel colors and tweed interiors and bone stock motors left over from the restorods. And somewhere in there is when hot rods and street rods became two different critters.

18. Baldies

Baldies

That picture is before the Beatles. Note the pointy tits. Girls didn't have pointy tits in the 60's.

19. Her wrist watch also gives it away. Watches go better on the left wrist since the stem is on the right side and easier to wind/adjust for a righthander. Lefties like me know these things.

20. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

I'll keep an open mind. This car was built in the 60's, not last month! Bob was from San Diego and the outline pin striping was the rage then, especially in the San Diego area. In fact, most of the San Diego Prowlers car club at the time had the same kind of striping on most of their cars. I myself painted and striped a custom '56 F-100 for the late Pete Chapouris with the same kind of outline striping back in 1964.
    Next, the correct term for "backwards" appearing pictures is "flopped". Ask any pro photographer that.
    Next again, I'm not going to lose one second of sleep because the pic may or not be "flopped". Move on.
    Viewed from todays perspective, this beautiful car may not be every ones pick, but like all of Bob's cars, this was a quality build and had "the Look" back then and still does today. Now it would be called a "period piece" today.

B Bay Barn, verde742 and catdad49 like this.
  21. flamingokid

flamingokid

Considering 1966 wasn't exactly the peak of traditional,I think that '28 is as right as rain.But the shoes,man,those gotta go. ;)

22. HRS

HRS

Funny, I like the pin-stripping and the boots....but I am from CA, so that might explain it.

23. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Guy's, you keep slamming Bob of his Beatle Boots, if you look close those are Cowboy boots with some kind of wing tip design. LOL, Bob was a cowboy, in fact he broke his hip riding a bronco in the rodeo.