Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this a 39 or 40 Pontiac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Mar 9, 2017.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I looked at this car today and the owner wasn't 100% sure what year it was. And, at what price would you buy it? I am thinking about getting it to flip. It looks rough but there actually very little rust through in it. The front driver's floor pan is the worst spot and it could be saved. Straight 8 motor but owner has never tried to start it. He has no key for it.
    I know I am rambling but I keep thinking of things to add while the hydrocodone kicks in (or maybe it already has!)
    The owner is a farmer who bought the car from the original owners family about 10 years ago. He put it on jack stands under the pole barn and that is where it sits today. He has never seen what is in the trunk until today. I pulled the rear seat back loose and found there are 3 wheels and tires in there. I couldn't see anything else. front 1.jpg front 2.jpg side.jpg back.jpg interior 1.jpg interior 2.jpg hood emblem.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. henry29

henry29

3. sololobo

sololobo

Yeppers 1939 for sure, some bad ass lines on those ol rides, tin Indians forever!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Thanks. Do you have any idea what it is worth?

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I sold a 39 a couple years ago, super nice body and it ran, could 39 pont frt (800x600).jpg only get $3000

48fordor likes this.
  6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

As is, $1500-2000? Needs everything and is a 4-door.

BFC

7. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Thanks for the replies. I can get this car for under a grand so it may be worth it if I could get upwards of $2,500.

8. Nothing wrong with 4 drs BUT its value is way down the pole, I've had a 1940 Oz Dodge since 1971...........but apart from a few Oz coupes we only got 4drs.........if you can get it for $1k or less, maybe, but you will never make much on it unfortunately........but its too good to wreck..........regards, andyd

jim snow likes this.
  9. 1pickup

1pickup

I sold a pretty rough, but pretty complete '39 2 door about 2 years ago for $250. Hey, I made $100 off of it...

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. metalman

metalman

Might be worth more for parts being a 4 door. I built a 39 2 door 10 years ago, the owner paid a lot of $$ for missing parts, like $250 for the hood trim. He spent a lot of money having me salvage a very rough trunk lid, couldn't find one in the 5 years we looked. I know those pot metal grill pieces demand top dollar, hard to find good ones. Of course it's not always easy to find buyers, not everyone is building a 39 Pontiac.
    That said, I hate to see any old car cut up and if someone wanted a big comfortable cruiser even as a 4 door that Pontiac has tons of class, they are good looking cars IMHO.

OahuEli likes this.
  11. i'malittleslow

i'malittleslow
    from TEXAS

OahuEli and kbgreen like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ahhh...Welcome to the free bluebook of the HAMB.

Texas Webb likes this.
  13. 66chevelles

66chevelles

14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If the seller wants under a grand for it that would be a good deal. Being a 4dr. lowers the potential to make a lot of money but there are people out there that like Too-Many doored cars. Selling it for parts would be a last resort as far as I am concerned. Old cars are getting harder to find and no call to make it fewer.

15. People who don't like 4 doors just make them cheaper for those of us who do like them. Ozelle the '55 Ford 4 door likes your Pontiac.

56longroof likes this.