Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. William Bostic

William Bostic

My Old Mustang.JPG Anybody remember, have info regarding, or pictures of a '66 Mustang hardtop that was campaigned as The Thunder Chev? The story I got when I traded for the car around 1974 was that it was stolen as a new off of a car lot and turned into a drag car. The car was equipped with a Chevrolet 327, Borg Warner T10 4 spd, a Ford Econoline straight axle, a large box type hood scoop over the dual quad carbs, and a wild paint job.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The only "Thunder Chev" I remember was a 55-56 Thunderbird, with a big-block Chevy engine. At the same time Larry Kalsch ran a black early bird with SOHC Ford power, and Leo Gorowski (Master Transmission) raced one with a 426 Hemi (The Hemi Bird).

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  3. Anybody possibly have any good photos of the Potter Brothers or Bill Ireland '61 Ford Starliners?

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You might PM @Larry Anderson
    I think his dad owned one of Bills early cars.
    You might also try Marty.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bill Ireland's was a "Cheapie " 2 dr, not a Starliner. Bill Anderson ( Larry' s Dad) bought it and raced it for the '62 season, and drove it on the street. Larry Anderson will fill in the details, the buyer's agreement was that it would not be raced in S/S, because it would outrun Ireland's new '62 - 406 Galaxie, so Bill Anderson removed the front bumper and ran B/G.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    verde742 likes this.
  6. Man, I guess I'm too young to remember any of these guys, except for Ernie Hall and Justin "Jug" George. I remember them, because they were my uncles. I hung around Ernie's shop when I was a kid - they built fire trucks there, and my dad ran the paint room.

7. I'm glad this thread is back! MORE PICTURES GUYS!!!! THEY HAVE TO BE OUT THERE!!
    Come on, scan your pictures!

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, I bought the front wheels and tires on the Dragster (my Avatar) from Ernie, NHRA rule change wouldn't let him run them on his Top Fueler in the late 80's. He also sold me some other outdated parts, he was a nice guy ! I drive by his old shop often, and gaze into the windows as I pass, remembering all of the Dragsters that sat in the same spot.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  9. Richard Schroeders ex Art Whipple Camaro
    [​IMG]

10. This is from our own Mart's late site, Mart's Real Hot Rods!
    Cool no?
    [​IMG]

11. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

Here is my Dad's 1967 Mustang at Madras Dragway in about 1973 or 1974. He ran there quite a bit in his early years. He always drove the car to the track, never trailered it. I have heard stories about changing tires and gears before and after races at the track. It is a 289 with a 4-speed. I have heard stories that he was able to get the car into the 12's. It was a hot little car in it's day. My Dad had big plans on turning it into a full blown race car with tubbing, roll cage and the works....thankfully he never did it. Ron Mayfield initially built the car as a fast street car in about 1968 or 69. Many local Redmond folks still refer the car as "Ron's old car" even though my Dad has owned the car for over 40 years.

The car looks exactly the same (with the exception of changing the wheels and tires 3 years ago....the old tires were 40 years old. He changed the chrome steel wheels to American Mags). The car doesn't get out of the garage much anymore, but he does keep it fresh and starts it up regularly.

67 Mustang at Madras Dragstrip 3.jpg
    67 Mustang at Madras Dragstrip.jpg
    67 Mustang at Madras Dragstrip 4.jpg
    67 Mustang at Madras Dragstrip 2.jpg
    This picture is in front of Redmond High School in about 1974.
    67 Mustang at Redmond High School.jpg

quick85 likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One of the first drag strips I ever stepped foot on was Madras about 1971/72, I was 17.
    Older friend raced a 66 Belvedere 2 door sedan, original 2×4 426 hemi/4 speed/Dana 60 car.
    Took my first ever ride (passenger) down a drag strip, that car was an "animal".
    I"ll never forget that experience.

13. coast40

coast40

Now we need a modern pic of the Mustang for "The Rest Of The Story."

14. georgepan

georgepan
    from maryland

Did Dorothy Davis of the Wild Wild West 1964 hemi purchase the car new? txs

15. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

ha what color was that HEMI Belevedere

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It was a reddish plum color, I looked it up and I think it's called "dark red poly".
    Do you know the car?

17. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

Here is what it looks like today. Not much has changed. It has 64,000 miles. It is an A code 4-speed. Originally bought in Redmond, OR at Robberson Ford new in 1967. Always has been a Central Oregon car. Rust free dry car.

11-26-13 099.JPG

rod1 and Finn Jensen like this.
  18. coast40

coast40

NICE!!

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Oilguy likes this.
  20. Babyearl

Babyearl

I went into Radke's in 1958 and bought some chrome exhaust tips for my newly purchased '50 Ford Club Coupe, then drove home to Astoria.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

When I started going to races at McMinnville in 1960, there were always a few cars with huge "Radke" watercolor banners taped on the doors. The most prominent was "Rapid Richard" Furukawa's black,'62-409 Impala, in S/S. Merlin also sponsored Chet McFallo's Cobra. "Radke's Is the Place To Go, Try Radke's, It's The Place to Go" ! That was their jingle on KISN Radio. Chet Mcfallo.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  22. 30Aroadster......I just missed seeing Mayfields mustang. I graduated Redmond Union High in '66 [barely] and we had few mustangs in town then. Gilbert Shepard drove his mom's white 65 [289, 2 barrel, automatic] when he wasn't driving his 27 chevy sedan with a 327 or his yellow 54 Stude coupe... Richard Cousin's brother drove a hot rod 271 HP/ 4 speed black 65 fastback.
    I use to have a modern photo of the old school but lost it in a computer crash.
    Oh yeah...we all drove to the Madras track because none of us had a trailer..

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I attended the first phase of the Northwest Motorsports Hall of Fame, last night at the World Of Speed Museum, in Wilsonville. The Inductees were L to R, Herschel McGriff (Stock Cars), Dale LaFollette (At Large), Rolla Vollstedt (Open Wheel, Oval Track), Bob Lanphere (Motorcycles) Bob Jr. accepting, Monte Shelton (Road Racing), and Jack Coonrod (Drag Racing). What a great event, getting to visit with my old friends Rolla and Jack, and to talk with Herschel again. With Rolla at 98, and Hershel, Jack, and Monte all in their 80's, some real history was told ! More pics next. IMG_0231.JPG

Finn Jensen likes this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rolla and the groundbreaking Indy Car he built in 1963. the first rear engine Offy powered car to qualify at the "Brickyard" in '64. #2 The "Ageless" Hershel at 88 years old, #3 Monte Shelton. IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0223.JPG

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ron Huegli MC for the event, presents the award to Rolla, with Rolla's Son Bruce alongside. IMG_0212.JPG

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Random shots, Jim Livingston (Woodburn Dragstip) visits with Herschel McGriff and Bruce Vollstedt, #2 is three "Old Drag Racers", L to R, Jim Lindsay, Jack Coonrod, and Me, with the "Kamikaze Coupe" in the background. IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0210.JPG

Stogy and Kan Kustom like this.
  27. Oilguy

Oilguy

I attended OTI (OIT now) and one of my fellow classmates had a car of the same year and color. I do not recall his name. That was from 67 to 71. Any chance it was your dad?

28. Oilguy

Oilguy

Really great stuff Mr. Strode. The thing I like about Livingston is sometimes when you drive into the gate he is the one at the booth collecting the entry fees. Then you see him parking cars and performing other menial tasks. I love that track. Best in the West. Also the age of the inductees is a testimonial to the fact that hot rods and racing can be healthy hobbies. I wish I would have known about that ceremony; would love to have been there. First Phase? I will have to check it out. Thanks for posting.

29. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Just caught on the Woodburn Dragstrip website that Steve McGee has passed. Pretty nice tribute on their site about his accomplishments and what he did for putting the Great Oregon Racers on the map and in the books. I'll be driving by his old shop in Lake Oswego shortly on my way to pick up my son, I think the dyno is still in there.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon