Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features How's this for an A?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 10, 2017.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

How's this for an A?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

corvair powered ?

3. Willing to bet it's just a photo printed in reverse, but is that a "down-under" banger? The ports are on the wrong side!! :D

I really like this look...as well as Coop's sedan version!

verde742 likes this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The photo is reversed as the Horn is now on the wrong side in the photo as well (at least from looking at the other photos). Without seeing the original published photos somewhere it would be hard to say who reversed it. Surely not a distinguished Hot Rod Magazine Photographer....probably some guy in the print shop trying to make the page layout look uniform. :p ....But I love the panel pinstripe look.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    verde742 likes this.

5. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Makes me want a phaeton even more!

verde742 likes this.
  6. verde742

verde742

something just WRONG about that picture, the horn may be on "wrong side" :eek:but that does not explain how hood opens, and exhaust coming out on drivers side, below intake.

you 've got some s'plain to do,:rolleyes: LUCY

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well of course it's just an inverted slide. Easy to do and we see it often in old mags. Now, about that potential of being O/T? Sorry Joey, I call bullshit. Not on you, I get your reference, but upon the whole staple content of these pages it wouldn't matter if that car was built in 1970. Fits our gig to a 'T', or really an 'A', but you get it. I think it's awesome and goes to show us that many never stopped doing "our thing" regardless of the build year. My dear departed Dad and I built a very traditional Caddy powered Dodge pickup, finished in 1975. There's not a single member or mod who'd toss that truck from the forum. See, you really do know it when you see it. Nice feature man, tip of the hat to ya...

HunterYJ and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  8. banjorear

banjorear

Ah, good e
    Ah, good eye. Could this be one of those aftermarket blocks that was floating around during that time?

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I agree nothing off-topic here. That is one great looking A. I'd rock car that in a heartbeat!

verde742 likes this.
  10. Fun to look at but I couldn't own it. I always looked at phaetons as 4 door roadsters...old guy cars. The back seat passengers get wind-blown at speed over 20 MPH. And the 4 banger? Nah...at least it should have a flathead V/8.
    But it would be great to putt around town in on summer days under 35 MPH and it has a lot of "eyeball" to it.

11. Muttley

Muttley

That thing rules, how could anyone think that car is OT?!?! The only thing I'd do is put a full bumper on the rear.

12. Jim Hassad

Jim Hassad

I still live in the same city where Bob lived and I was fortunate to see his creativity through his art and cars. Great to see this one though, as it was a little before my hot rod years. However, the panel striping and Cragar wheels were right my alley! All I could afford at 16 years old was a Datsun pick-up, but I panel striped it with a little roller tool and worked my rear end off to get a set of Cragars for it.

HunterYJ and Atwater Mike like this.
  13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've never been fond of those "trucker's" pinstripes - the kind of stripes that every commercial (and unimaginative) painter uses to outline all the panels in order to jazz things up. But I like the car, nonetheless. Gary

14. Well I like it. its sort of an imposter as power to tire ratio goes but it is just imposter enough to make it as perfect as perfect gets. Stance just enough flash and hotted up banger who could ask for more.

@Tim needs to scope this one out.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The picture is flipped.

Look carefully, the horn, which is shown on the US conventional driver's side, is on the passenger's side in this picture:
    [​IMG]

DrewModelA likes this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's got four too many step plates?

41FordVert and verde742 like this.
  17. That actually used to happen quite a bit more than you would expect.
    Something I didn't notice until now and has nothing to do with the car but the dude is wearing Chubby Checker shoes. Those were the chit in the neighborhood when I was a little kid.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

It's "A" right by me. By the way it's powered by an "Offy" 4, I think it's pretty nifty!

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you can find an original factory photo of a 1912 Ford they all left the factory with every panel striped like that. Bob

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

Sure looks like a Ford 4 banger to me. Am I missing something? If it had an Offy, then this car would be off the charts.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...Tommy the Greek had no imagination. Panel striped lots of 'em.
    But he was kind enough to pinstripe the accents on my 54" wingspan modified Ed Southwick Skylark!
    (it was a control line, and he loved it) Had all the style of a classic Hook-and-Ladder. I loved it too.
    That "Offy" 4 is rare. It's a flat head! :p

22. Jim Hassad

Jim Hassad

C'mon guys, the horn is on the "passenger" side of the car in the pic. If photo is flipped, the horn is still on the passenger side. All Offys are DOHC with cross-flow heads, definitely not this engine. Too little to see for me to make a guess.

23. banjorear

banjorear

I have an original May '28 roadster. My car has factory pinstripes not on the panels, but down cowl, the doors and belt line down the 1/4 panels.

24. Shookie

Shookie

25. Shookie

Shookie

A trip to Pontiac, Il. for the above photo !!!!

26. verde742

verde742

Explain exhaust and intake on drivers side, flipped huh?

27. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

In the other photos, you can clearly see the steering wheel and horn on The same side. Problem solved.

28. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_1892.jpg Fixed it. Great car. Looks like a banger to me, but I wouldn't know an Offy if it fell on my toe.
    Edit/addition. If we all read Joeys text, it reads: "Dubbed the “poor man’s Offy,” the ’banger in this particular touring has ben pushed just over 214cid and sports all the goodies, including a Winfield cam, Jahns pistons and a Stromberg carb. Oh, and the headers—custom bent by Jack Armstrong—were painted the obligatory VHT white. (No info as to what’s on the other end of the taaaaalllllll shifter though.)"

It's a BANGER!

HEMI32 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. verde742

verde742

IF yer avatar was reversed would the passenger wheel and tire be off the ground in the picture..?:rolleyes:

Deuced Up! likes this.
  30. verde742

verde742

thank you.....;) NOW his right hand is resting on the fender, not his left hand..,,

also I noticed her left boob is a little larger, ("which is normal for stock breast)":)