Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stock Pic of a '34 Ford P/U Commercial Headlight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Mar 10, 2017.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Anyone have a good pic or pic's of a '34 Ford Commercial size Headlight mounted on the headlight bar? Interested in seeing how the wiring cover from radiator shell to headlight hooks up to bucket, etc. How do I know I have '34 Ford commercial headlights? Thanks!

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To start with, rim and lens are same as '34 passenger...consult about any olde Ford parts catalog. The streamlined stainless rear shell of the passenger light is replaced by a plain steel shell that is much smaller, pretty much the minimum size to cover up the reflector.

lothiandon1940 and brigrat like this.
  3. evintho

evintho

I got my headlight buckets off of this. '33-'34 Ford....I believe this is a commercial truck.

[​IMG]

Not sure if this will help, or not but the wiring goes through the big hole in the center. The other four are the mounting holes to the bracket (last photo).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, this is the bracket that bolts underneath the bucket...............

[​IMG]

4. alchemy

alchemy

Evintho does NOT have original 34 headlights.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. evintho

evintho

OK, I'm confused. In the first pic, you can see them mounted on the original truck. Is that not a '33-'34 Ford commercial truck? The truck has been sitting in that spot since the '50s.

6. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

seal beams in 33/34 ?
    I don't think so

7. Try your question on fordbarn. Evintho's headlights are definitely not '34.

Charlie Stephens

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am totally confused by this too. I mean, surely a guy with a 20 yr old dump truck in the 1950's would have been aware that the use of a sealed beam conversion would be a 10 point deduction under Early Ford V-8 Club of America judging, right? What the HELL was he THINKING??!!:eek::rolleyes:

9. I'm sure these are aftermarket

image.jpeg

10. I'm pretty sure they are 9" and shallow, more dome and no bullet

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

blackbeard40 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"I'm sure these are aftermarket" The ones on the truck or the ones on...oh, never mind.
    Headlight swaps were VERY common starting in 1940, when sealed beams became widely available. All the light companies put out swivel type headlights with sealed beams made as almost universal swaps for all those early cars out there.

12. Be careful when looking at the '33 and '34 headlights. I am fairly certain they are a slightly different shape.

Charlie Stephens

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

DSCF7803.JPG DSCF7802.JPG Here's what I am working with. No hole for wires, hole in mounting bolt only.
    If I use the hole in the mounting bolt what does the wire conduit look like where it bolt to mounting bolt?

Attached Files:

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'33 passenger. at least early ones, had a longer light than '34, but the commercials I think were all the same with an ultra-short cone behind the reflector.

I believe trucks from '32-up with wires in the open got a simple and ugly conduit made of the same woven black stuff used elsewhere on the original wiring system...special grommet or metal ring where it went into the grill shell.

15. To see close up pictures of the light, I suggest you go to the Bob Drake catalog or website. In addition to the lights, I believe he also sells conduits for this application.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

We've made 2 orders with Drake and non of the parts sent look rite to me. On a '34 P/U does the wire go threw the mounting bolt or not?

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

but fairly well proportioned, nicely balanced..

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. On every one I've seen yes it does.

19. ................THE headlights, George! Try to stay focused.:D:eek:;)

lothianwilly71 and falcongeorge like this.
  20. mvee33

mvee33

Hope these pics help, 33/34 commercial, not sure of any differences between years. The conductors go through the bolt then through a conduit to the grille shell like a Model A. All the Best, Michael 2017-02-22 16.35.30.jpg 2017-02-22 16.38.37.jpg

21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

OK, So I believe it's correct to say the wires go up threw the mounting bolt, now how do you attach the wire cover metal/loom/conduit/sheath to the bottom of the bolt?

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh the HEADLIGHTS!! Nope, too big for my tastes, I like hot rods.:D;)

23. I'm going to guess that if you had these in your hands with the headlight in front of you too it would be pretty easy to figure out. Looks like the big end goes over the nut
    image.jpeg

falcongeorge likes this.
  24. Again, I suggest you look at the pictures of the conduits on the Drake website. You can buy them elsewhere.
    I used and extended flair nut from the plumbing department. It threaded on the mounting bolt just fine. Drilled it out so my conduit would enter. Put a set screw into the side to hold the conduit.
    Not sure what Ford used on the commercial in 33 & 34.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. I doubt that he's getting anything threaded on that bolt
    image.jpeg

26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

That was my first disappointment, the short bolt. Don't like the 2 dimpled way of doing it so will have to think out of the box like pprather. Thanks to all!

27. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

maybe not "factory " but DAAAMN that's a nice pair!

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

20170313_150113.jpg 20170313_150046.jpg
    I bought a 34 big truck last week .the wires go through the bolt and it has remains of a black wire cover taped to the bolt.

29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I think we pretty much proven the corrugated wire cover with the 2 dimples just slips onto the nut. I was overthinking it because I couldn't believe Ford would have designed such a "funky" way of doing it....................................................