Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Keeping orig. paint + patina, how to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bummer, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Bummer

Bummer

Like said, want to keep what´s left of the old paint but needs some protection, right?
    Matt clear coat is the easy answer (?) but what else?
    I´ve read / heard about wd40ing or just waxing but I´m not convinced on those.
    What have you done?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

patina is a natural state, once you start messing with it, it becomes something else.

bali-rod, Beau, Muttley and 1 other person like this.
  3. Flood corporation makes a product called Penetrol that is a oil base paint additive,it will help preserve and give a little life to the finish,applied straight from the can it will be sticky until dry,you can wipe off the excess.

It will also renew faded fiberglass to look new again. HRP

[​IMG]

Spooky and Spoggie like this.
  4. A Boner

A Boner

Automotive wax?

Corvette Fever likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

It didn't have any protection for the past fifty years, why does it suddenly need it, now?

and storing it indoors is probably way better protection than it ever had before.

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I agree with Mr. Squirrel and the rest of the guys... DON'T do a flat clear over old patina, DO use the penetrol or simply store it inside and wash it as usual. I plan on just cleaning the interior of my old panel truck and leaving the exterior to the elements as it's been for the last 50 years... I have the luxury of living in Colorado where rust isn't really an issue, though a coat of flat clear won't stop rust either.
    16938981_10100843288257010_4787821707477417110_n.jpg
    Those who know their custom car history might recognize the name... I'll be building this panel truck into the "hot rod panel that never was".
    14650115_1011191145656014_7912711091986848829_n.jpg

Spooky, Squablow, Barn Find and 3 others like this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a members 61 Parkwood wagon before and after CLR. A quick coat of clear over the finished product.

8. Bummer

Bummer

Yes, that is familiar topic.
    In this case I don´t want it to be shiny at all, just want to keep it as is as much as possible.

9. Bummer

Bummer

Only reason for coating is to keep it look the same, wet or dry. Tha patina / paint is so dull / matt that when it gets wet it gets much darker. In the drizzle it looks very bad.

Also, it was sitting under sun & rain since 1988 until I bought it a few years ago.
    Not very much paint left...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  10. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

We use boiled linseed oil, cut with acetone. Protects well, gives a light sheen. And very inexpensive.

Spoggie and Bummer like this.
  11. wisdonm

wisdonm

I know some old timers that use diesel fuel on their tractors. Just enough paraffin to keep them from rusting.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

In Kansas, we use diesel fuel IN our tractors. o_O:D Lippy

falcongeorge and Spoggie like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone using Gibbs oil?

modified likes this.
  14. flat 39

flat 39

I use cheap car wax on mine.

Spoggie likes this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A picture is welcome, desired, needed, better...

16. afaulk

afaulk

I like to keep patina/old paint in my garbage can until the garbage truck runs. They pick the shit up and haul it to the landfill.

17. Maybe if we saw what you are trying to preserve it would be easier to answer. When I got an old car that still has paint I wax it or if it is bad rusty I just try to not let it rust in piece (RIP) until I can repair it or trade it.

clem likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

58 morris minor original paint. Wet sanded with 400 and light coat of satin clear thinned by 40 percent. Only sanded because it had been spray can bombed with gray primer before I got it.
    Wanted to get rid of primer ,but keep the OEM paint. Then pin striped. DSCF0951.JPG

19. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I use boiled linseed oil as well to protect anything that I have that is rusty or weathered that I didnt have the time or money to repaint at the time.

Spoggie likes this.
  20. Bummer

Bummer

Really? That´s some tough mixture. Won´t that acetone soften the paint too much?
    How much acetone (%) do you add on the linseed oil?

21. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

We use 50/50 wipe it on with a lint free rag, wear rubber gloves. Let set for 5-10 minutes. Acetone in this mixture will not bother that old paint. I've done it on many cars. You mainly use it on the rust area's, it's really not needed on paint, but it will protect it too, it will also enhance old lettering. It's kind of like wax though, as in you need to reapply it every year or so, as it will eventually wash and fade off.

22. Bummer

Bummer

Looks good! Pretty much thinned clear coat. At least it dries fast, right.

23. Bummer

Bummer

Really interesting.
    One reason why I don´t want to go with clear coating is that then I need to mask a lot not to let the spray get to wrong areas. With this method no such problem.
    What will I have to do if I want to paint later? How do I remove it?

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many of us dislike the use of 'patina' as term to describe what's basically worn the fuck out. Here's an example of what I think is true patina, the original paint on my 39:
    031.jpg
    Now, if you look close you'll see rust on the hood sides. There's a measurable amount of paint missing on the tops of the front fenders, and a softball size dent on 1, a crack on the other. There's several little chips and scratches here n there too. Still it's slick and shiny Henry Ford black. The parts books have no listings that call out rust. And lets suppose it's 1947. What would somebody do with the finish on this car? They'd paint the tops of the fenders and the hood sides too. Probably keep a good layer of Simonize on it as well. All that rubbing, some minor scars earned in use, well that's true Patina. Not rust, barn fresh bird shit, mud, decades old layers of dirt. So when I fix the wear and tear will I be disingenuous to call my car "original paint"? No. Most of it is and being kept up. Still with all the input we're sharing no picture of the car in the topic. WTF bud? I put one up of mine so we can't blame me for not sharing. Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics,Pics...

Spooky, K13, mooreboy and 1 other person like this.
  25. I personally like the look of old paint. It never looks like a modern show car but if you find an old lacquered beauty that the paint is still solid it has just that perfect crazing and hazing once it is waxed. I see these faux-tina cars and they seriously drop the ball you just cannot duplicate 50 years or weathering. Not rust or wear through but just the perfection that only MOM nature can produce.

Back2school likes this.
  26. Bummer

Bummer

Man, you are demanding! :D
    I'm on my phone now so no pics available until tomorrow. Sorry! Also I quess I will disappoint u all, 'cause I know that rat rod is a no no word here and I'm afraid my wagon is one of those:(

27. Well maybe its a ragged rod.;)

28. 46stude

46stude

I wash my OT '72 Cheyenne w/ Comet cleanser & a green scrubbie pad. That gets rid of a bunch of the light oxidation, and most all of the dirt. Then I put on a coat of wax. Not exactly recommended for a nicer paint job, but for a "patina" look w/ some protection from the elements, I haven't found anything that beats it.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A minor level of being a dick is also quite traditional ya know. Just sayin...;)

BrandonB likes this.
  30. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

When we were young, we'd wash the whole car with Ajax or Dutch Boy and wax the paint. Any rust got sanded to metal & primed, bearing in mind the more colors, the more "worked on" it looked. Nobody drove cars that purposely looked like junk, unless they were sleeper race cars.

Spoggie and Russ B like this.