Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mopacltd

mopacltd

Great walk thru history!

landseaandair likes this.
  2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

It's Thursday.

els likes this.
  3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, I should see Ronnie yet this afternoon...

els likes this.
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  5. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

els likes this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just came in the mail off ebay. 1953 racing program from State Speedways, AZ Fairgrounds.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 011.jpg 009.jpg 012.jpg
    010.jpg

els likes this.
  8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Antique store find. Article on Clint Brawner and Jimmy Bryan. Arizona Days & Ways Magazine, May 13, 1956. Big pages, had to get creative with the scanner.
    021.jpg 022.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 016.jpg 017.jpg 018.jpg 019.jpg 020.jpg

els likes this.
  9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Paper weight.
    unnamed (36).jpg

els likes this.
  11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So, I talked to Ronnie today.

That picture of him with Chauvin's nose car, was shot in Chauvin's front yard in January of '65, at about 13th and Highland. The car was packed up and ready to go to.... The Winternationals car show! Ronnie told me that he got out of the military in September of '64, hadn't found a job quite yet, and Chauvin had a minor bonk in the roadster, so it was a natural fit for him to do the re paint.

By the way, he also told me the slides I have, have all of his pictures he shot at that Winternational car show! Call me any time and stop over and we'll sift through them.

els likes this.
  12. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Thanks, will do. Some of the slides could've been used to make the pics Ed has. Wonder if Ronnie is a little off on the location of the house. Address looks like 2820, may not jive with that location.

Also, if you see him again soon, not that there's anything wrong with it, but why yellow?

Did Chauvin really lose the car in a card game?

Whose Riviera?

Lastly, Where was this picture taken? Been bugging me for a long time.

Chauvin-Emmons-T-Bucket-roadster-1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    els, Bowtie Coupe and need louvers ? like this.
  13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Brown Brothers Willys, Hop-Up, July '63.
    025.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    els, elgringo71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Potillo and Roemer Scrambler, Custom Rodder, Jan. '65.
    009.jpg 023.jpg 011.jpg 024.jpg

els and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. rfraze

rfraze

Great stuff in this thread!! Thanks.

els, Bowtie Coupe and landseaandair like this.
  16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

One of these days you'll have to come by the shop Matt, we have many of the original photos of the Scrambler, including a few from that article you posted above. Maybe one day we'll find one of those giant chute packs. A few years ago when we were mounting the chute pack plate Lowell stopped, thought for a minute and then said "maybe we could have broken 160 without this big old plate hanging out here in the breeze"....

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  17. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Heck yea, always wanted to get the tour over there. Had a big pack like that a while back but it was a ring slot, sold it on ebay.

els likes this.
  18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

All-American Hill Climb at South Mountain Park. Knew I saw mention of this Years ago and just got the issue of Sports Car Graphic, Apr. '68. with an article on it.
    001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

els likes this.
  19. els

els

I was looking back at this thread from a few years ago. History of all the speed shops in Arizona. Still miss them. Lopers is still open. Wilky's closed for the light rail. Goosic closed but has birthday reunion every year. Just last month as a matter of fact. And JOE RUNDLE is alive and well. He lives few miles from me and still getting around. He still comes to the shop to see his name on my 62 Corvette M/P. I will tell Joe hey to all you guys on THE H.A.M.B.

landseaandair likes this.
  20. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Hey els, your mentioning the Sunbeam Tiger in the Beeline Sign thread reminds me of Maxwell Smart's car. One of a few projects done By Gene Winfield at A.M.T. Found an interview that belongs here. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage155.html

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    els likes this.
  21. els

els

I remember that show. Maxwell Smart. Great Show and great article. Thanx landseaandair. I think I will go to 67th and bell this weekend. I hope you will be there. The SUNBEAM TIGER is blue. Look me up.

22. els

els

Hey local guys going to the Tucson reunion, my BEELINE DRAG WAY SIGN will be there. Even you guys that left Arizona it will be a treat for some of you. So many racers come up to me and ask about the sign and even take pics with the sign, I hope it brings back memories to you as much as it does for me. With-out having a HALLMARK moment, it does turn back some of the best times we all had. Now I hope when you see the sign it will make your day.

23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Found some old matchbooks at the G.C.C. swap meet.

Dick's Drive Inn from post #40.
    unnamed (45).jpg

unnamed (46).jpg

unnamed (43).jpg

Original McDonald's on Central mentioned in post #519.
    unnamed (44).jpg

sanbarnardino1.jpg

gone_mcdonalds.jpg

Last remaining store.
    unnamed (42).jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    els likes this.
  24. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

What a trip on the valleys racing past!! Well put together, The Bonneville picture of the belly tanker was taken in 1956, Ermie Emmersol (probably not spelled correctly) had around 217 record run, skinny guy with his back turned to the picture is Dick Smith

els likes this.
  25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Thanks, guess that's post #606?

els likes this.
  26. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Matt, a little info, pic 6 post 371, That is Dick Smiths roadster, fiberglass top, Ben Lovings (Beno, Moose) roaster had a rag top. Dick's 32 sedan is to the left of his roadster, my roadster pickup is on the right.
    Someone mentioned that Dick built Ben's roadster, Ben built his car, Dick helped with the X member, Ben's roadster went from flathead to SBC, Dick and Ben were the best of friends.
    Post 606 Ermie Immerso is the 2nd from the right, Dick Smith is third from the right, about where the photographer is standing was Ermie's new 1956 Ford pickup push truck, no 272 for him, replaced with 430 Lincon.
    Post 719 the Valley Speed salt car is Ermie"s

els likes this.
  27. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Surprised no has mentioned Weavers Upholstery ( Frank & Tooter Weaver) East McDowell between 7th St and 16th St north side of the street, I'm thinking around 13th or 14th in the 60s, Hot rods and inboards set out front most of the time. They were one of the top upholsters of the time.
    Ermie Immerso, also had an upholstery shop in 1956 around 3900 E Van Buren on the north side of the street, would stop by on the way from school and check out all of the cars and boats that he worked on.

els likes this.
  28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wow, nice to have some names to go with the pics. Your pickup looks pretty sharp. Surprised how hard it is to find any online pics of the Beno car. Saw it at one of the Second Saturday Swaps at So Cal (say that three times fast) a few years ago and at the L.A.R.S. not too long after that with a for sale sign on it and to my surprise my dad says Ben was a firefighter and he saw him drive it to the firehouse at times. Wish I would have thought to snap a few pics. Looked fairly untouched but someone had put a modern front axle under it, hope they hung on to the original.

Central_hotrodders_Central_1960s.jpg

GettyImages_150191794.jpg

004.jpg

In the future you can go to specific posts and hit the red reply button under the post then type your reply but doesn't bother me any if I gotta do a little looking around. Might make it easier for people viewing all this on a phone though. Think the quote button does about the same thing but you can quote multiple posts with it?

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    els likes this.
  29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Got a 1960 Phoenix Directory that shows a Frank Weaver having a auto and boat upholstery shop at 1342 E. McDowell Rd. Sure that building is long gone. Surprisingly no mention of Ermie, just a John and Emma Immerso, retired. Parents?

els likes this.
  30. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

I'm not sure if thats Ermies parents, I will ask Dick the next time I see him. Ermie built the salt car at his shop, talking to Dick Ermie bought the frame, and they did the rest of the work. Check the headers, you can barley see them, but 4 equal tubes past the tires on each side.
    Ben used to drive the roadster to Fire Station 9 3rd St and Clarendon, he was stationed there a long time, I was on the PFD but never worked at the same house as Ben. In fact he helped me get on the job.
    After Ben died his daughters got the car, they put it in the museum at Papago Park, I have heard that they finally sold it after many years.

els likes this.