Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Speed Sport Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 27, 2015.

1. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

I actually just purchased the white 1956 Ford Courier you see chasing Ol'Noisy down the track. I'm in Arizona. Confirmed its the actual vehicle of the team. Like to see if Red is interested in the car... needs to be paired with the roadster at Garlitzs' museum in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

I own the original push car... the 1956 Ford Courier. Just picked it up last weekend! Wasn't sure it was related until we saw SpeedSport Automotive under the white paint. It's the real deal. In need of restoration but what a find!! I'm in Arizona.

3. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

chryslerfan55 and grumpy32 like this.
  4. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

I own the original push car... the 1956 Ford Courier. Just picked it up last weekend! Wasn't sure it was related until we saw SpeedSport Automotive under the white paint. It's the real deal. In need of restoration but what a find!! I'm in Arizona.

5. After admiring Red's scoops for 50 years, in 2014 I finally got one. Hand made by Red from the original mold. He signed it on the inside. One of my most prized possessions!
    [​IMG]

Parts48, jnaki and Special Ed like this.
  6. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

Great story.... I spied the roadster at CHRR 2014, one of a number of iconic hot rods I have now seen in the "flesh"... :):)

IMG_6378.JPG

7. I think I remember Tony Nancy had a roadster like that.

8. jnaki

jnaki

Since Don Maynard and the Greek were such good friends, I am sure that is how he got the got one of the Speed Sport scoops for his fueler and used it for years

I also got to see it run at the early ' Smokers ' meets at Bakersfield, one off cars like that is what made the meets such a great draw and we all have such great memories of those days when the pilots would be smoked in leaving the line

' Priceless '

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

D.N.D., JAN 28, 2015 !REPORT!

SHARE POST#44 LIKE + QUOTE REPLY

Gary Dubach ran a Speed Sport scoop in his 33 Willys. (Bones-Dubach-Pisano) "Chizler Too" was painted on the grill shell. No one has ever been able to tell me the connection, if there was one, to Red, Don, or the Greek.

.....growin' up leads to gowin' old, then to dyin', and dyin', to me, don't sound like all that much fun.........John Mellencamp 1983

DEAN LOWE, JAN 28, 2015 !REPORT!

SHARE POST#46 LIKE + QUOTE

Hello,

In reading this thread from back in 2015, here is a short video of the Speed Sport vs the Chizzler at Riverside in 1959. It is included in the “Chizzler Total” clip. It is fast, so look quickly. (Check out the scoops…) If they were friends, they raced like it was all on the line at this race. The Speed Sport Roadster was one of the coolest race cars around. They went all over the USA to race and they did it against the top FED racers of the time.

Jnaki

It was one of our favorite race cars. There were many rear engine copies and versions, but we will always remember the original one. It impressed this teenager on that all day race at Riverside Raceway in 1959. It was truly loud and fast.

Speed Sport Roadster total clip:

Chizzler Total Vs Speed Sport:

9. catdad49

catdad49

I was always impressed by the speeds of this little rear engined roadster with the one of a kind(?) scoop. It must have sounded wicked!!

10. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Great shot of Speed Sport vs. Tony Waters -- two great roadsters that took on the dragsters and often showed them the way.

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  11. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

Awesome, it showed the front end of the Speed Sport 56 Ford Courier push car I now own. Was looking for a clear shot of the bumper.

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hey KPS,
    Here is a screenshot of that Ford push car from Bakersfield in 1960. upload_2017-3-9_9-29-57.png
    Jnaki
    They had a 59 Pontiac push car at Riverside in 1959. upload_2017-3-9_9-33-8.png upload_2017-3-9_9-34-28.png

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

Perfect. The Pontiac was limited use, the Courier was the main vehicle and originally was baby blue with the Speed Sport logos on the panels.

14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Way off the subject, that purple and white blown Packard station wagon in the background of the bottom photo in Post #72 was a real terror in the Stock classes at Colton.

Now, back to originally scheduled postings . . .

kingpinshu likes this.
  15. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I have always thought this was about the best design since I read about it whenI was reading the little books as a kid! Since then I have seen it in person at Bakersfield a couple of times ! It's a great car

16. Slicks

Slicks
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from denison tx

Saw it run Wichita Falls Texas in about 1956 Don Garlits was there too good times

17. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

Here is what's left if the 1956 Ford Courier push car. Plenty good enough to save....[​IMG]

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Pretty cool. Any pics of the paint.

19. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

Can't get a pick to show clear enough... going to wet sand soon to get through the white overpaint to the logos.

20. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

The blown Speed Sport & Gene's 554 fuel coupe were the two best non-diggers of all time

Plus they both had the best sounds with the pipes going out to the rear

DND

jnaki, RatPwrd and Dean Lowe like this.
  21. Note the scoop cover in the photo above. The Lords was the car club that Red, Lyle, and Don belonged to in Tucson as kids.

22. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Cool car. Well worth the save. Make sure you run a y-block and dont down grade to a 302 and c4.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and kingpinshu like this.
  23. Thanks Ryan for firing the lil' grey cells on 'what's my favourite race car'. The Crawford/ Duthie photos are so good, thank you both.

chryslerfan55 and grumpy32 like this.
  24. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

Have a solid 272 ready foe install !

25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"The blown Speed Sport & Gene's 554 fuel coupe were the two best non-diggers of all time."

Don't leave Tony Waters' roadster out of the "best" list. He held the national drag racing E.T. record (and speed, too?) at one time.

26. desertdroog

desertdroog

chryslerfan55 and charleyw like this.
  27. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Another video i found.

28. squirrel

squirrel

posted on Tucson Dragway's fb page a little while ago.

:(

red.jpg

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always liked this car, but I will be a little contrary and say that I think the best looking drag car ever built was "Ike" Iacono's 6 cylinder GMC powered dragster. It is interesting that is is a contemporary of this car and was also orange. Did anyone notice the number of orange cars in the video? It must have been a popular color, especially among racers lacono_Dragster.jpg

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.