Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Franklin quick change and EDGO calipers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by abone1930, Mar 9, 2017.

1. abone1930

abone1930

I am looking at a quick change for sale, and I noticed the rear calipers, never seen these before, who made these, are they rare, the guy wants 1500 for the setup, you think that's high? 1489095962658.jpg 1489095969220.jpg 1489095975370.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never heard of EDCO other than bicycle brakes, may or may not have anything to do with each other. 1500 might be a little high for a rearend that you haven't seen inside of. My guess is it has a spool, but if it has a nice new Winters Trac or something, it might be worth it.

Around here, unknown quickies go for about 500 bucks. Most guys ditch the spool for a differential, press in new 9 inch Ford axle tubes/brakes and get custom length axles. Not hard to do, there are lots of threads if you hit the search button. Or, you could toss it under your car as is. It has been done before.

Good luck, -Abone.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed; that's a bit much for an unknown FRANKLAND quickchange.

4. tractorguy

tractorguy

I have had some old midget and sprint stuff over the years and I did have some EDCO brake calipers that were of the size a sprint car would use. They did not look the same as those you have in the picture. I assume they were older than yours.

5. abone1930

abone1930

1500 did sound steep, and it actually was underwater for 3 days from the flooding we had last year, also it proably does have a spool most did, was just really curious about brake calipers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Too much for a Frankland but I would bet with the "fat" side bells that there is a diff in there, whether a gold track, true track or whatever. Those Edcos are actually decent calipers and worth a few bucks.

Steve

7. I wouldn't pay that unless I had been inside of it - and knew what I was looking at. Also, by the time you put a differential in it, change the axle tubes, have new axles made and all that jazz, you'll have another $1500 in it. So, unless you plan to run it "as-is" and everything is what you want on the inside, you'll not be saving money in the end. If it was me, I'd spend about $750 max on it -- and plan to spend at least $1500 more. And - depending on what you end up doing with brakes (not knowing if you can even use those - or rebuild them), you might be looking at another $2000+ on top of your purchase. Good luck!

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't buy ANY QCs anymore unless I can look inside.
    Take the left side bell off and pull the ring gear/differential/spool assembly.
    A Frankland with a tru-trac style differential, good R&P and unbroken nose bearing support might bring $1200 but probably not. Almost every race used pinion gear is junk.
    The underwater special, as is, is worth about $300 if you can't look inside.