Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Off to Amelia Island...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Off to Amelia Island...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. good morning judge,

don't forget to make a coverage here on H.A.M.B., would be so nice to see all that rare and wonderful stuff.

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. NoSurf

NoSurf

[​IMG]

Kinda reminds me of my Dad's '58 Alfa Veloce' he had.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ditto. And so I don't think I'm going now. Too many reservations to change. Gary

THE AMELIA ISLAND CONCOURS d'ELEGANCE MOVES TO SATURDAY MARCH 11 DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER

Even in the best case scenario, the forecast for Sunday's scheduled Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance includes rain and lots of it. With a 100% chance of heavy precipitation forecast for Sunday and a sunshine-filled Saturday in the mix, Bill Warner and his team have chosen to move Sunday's award-winning Concours to Saturday. The Concours show will now coincide with Saturday's Cars & Coffee at the Concours presented by Heacock Classic Insurance.
    The new schedule is as follows
    Saturday, March 11, Cars & Coffee at the Concours: 9am until 5pm
    Saturday, March 11, Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance 9:30am until 5pm
    Other important changes include moving Saturday's Legends of the Leaping Cat - Jaguar Racing Driver's Seminar will move to Sunday at 10:30am in the Talbot Ballroom, The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
    Saturday evening's Gala is unchanged.
    RM Sothebys Auction will also remain unchanged.

6. catdad49

catdad49

Hope you have a great show. Please post some interesting shots if your duties allow. Stay dry, Carp

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one is on my someday I'm gonna go list. Post some photos. or a lot of photos.

8. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had plans to go,room and all but not happening this year,next year for sure

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've been to Pebble Beach and plan on going back and definitely want to go to Amelia.It's rather inexpensive when you factor in all of the cars you'd never otherwise see.

10. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

57motorama-2b_zps95f3ab09.gif 57motorama-2c_zps3881029f.gif 57motorama-2d_zpsf4961ce9.gif 57motorama-3a_zpsae045666.gif 57motorama-3b_zpsc7b1540d.gif 57motorama-3c_zps35dc63d9.gif 57motorama-3d_zps9e85b9fe.gif 57motorama-1a_zps2947d990.gif 57motorama-1b_zpsfe3e73b7.gif 57motorama-1c_zps5e415d1d.gif 57motorama-1d_zpsb3bf8ec0.gif 57motorama-2a_zps4a457346.gif The amazing 57 SS Corvette has an interesting history:

I know the car no longer resides in Albuquerque and may be hidden due to a dispute between the two owners. I know the car and a donor car were purchased by the N.M. owner, who chose to restore the donor car. The donor can be seen in the background in some shots.

When I saw the car, it had the original tires on it, bald in the rear. The
    owner proposed that it may have been the first Corvette to have a production fuel injection unit, but had no proof of that. It had been taken off the production line and rushed to be displayed in the Motorama tour of 1957.

It was well known in the Albuquerque area in the '50's and '60's and disappeared after being in a wreck. It has one-off tailights, aluminum floor boards, a magnetic cup set on the console, and of course the windscreens and pearl paint. All was based on a rally theme with a console mounted clipboard.

I'm unclear how the car ended up in Albuquerque, but it was given to someone's son as a high school graduation present. After ripping around town for sometime he put it into a telephone pole in a street race. Dad took the car back and sold it. The next owner stashed it in his garage for many years. It was sold to the present owners for an undisclosed amount of money.

I believe a spare 1957 Corvette frame to repair the damage was included in the deal. Some provenance documentation was included but I don't know what that was. That's all I know. If someone else can add to this story, please do.

T-roaster and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

For those here who may not be familiar with this car, it is NOT, repeat, NOT the Corvette SS that was the forrunner to the 63 Stingray design.
    It is a 57 Corvette, which was modified/customized for a Motorama and called the Super Sport.
    The Corvette Super Sport and the Corvette SS are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT cars!
    The SS is alive and well, the Super Sport is still in somewhat questionable condition and ownership.
    There are/were a few of the VERY EARLY Corvettes that were significant forrunners to the development, performance and heritage of the Mark, and it's a shame that this one has not been acquired, restored and cared for as it deserves.
    As we all age, it seems that fewer and fewer people are aware of the significant role and influence these cars had on today's Corvette.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

More history of the Corvette:
    The 1957 Super Sport was restored several years ago.

It is actually a 1956 Corvette that was customized by the Chevrolet Styling Department in late '56 for the show scene and allegedly to debut fuel injection for the production '57's. Styling took '56 # E56S101589 and re-tagged it as a '57, E57S001589. Note they changed the 5th digit from a one to a zero, so that the number would not conflict with the production '57 #1589.

The SS was first shown at the Waldorf Astoria Car show in January of 1957.(pics below) There was no Motorama Show in 1957.

After the shows it attended, it went to Dick Doane Chevrolet in Detroit. It was then sold to a dealer in Albuquerque, NM.(old poor quality news print below). The dealer sold it to a private party in NM, then was crashed some time later. It then went to a junk yard and was later sold to a local who held it for many years. Years later it was purchased then restored.

13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

14. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

The scoops on the coves came from the 1956 SR2 cars and were functional on those cars

SR2scoop.jpg Scan0026_026.jpg BillTowerSR2-Battlebird.jpg

lbf100, T-roaster and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Looking forward to more photos.

17. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Man ,I can see my 61 like that.Please take photos..

18. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Slight chance a rain means , 20% somewhere in Florida Sea Breeze timing can change, even though winds are forecast from the west. my 38 years in the Sunshine State seems like that is how it works,Saturday seems the best day, Sunday forecast to be cloudy scattered rain by noon into Monday ,Have fun Jive Bomber

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Bill Warner currently owns the first Muntz Jet that I ever put together, and that was over twenty-five years ago. :) Verbal history had it as Grace Kelly owned. He has quite the collection. Enjoy the show!
    muntz-jet-convertible-4-seat.jpg

T-roaster and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I turned it down this year. Imagine that, I'd rather wrench on a Packard than stroll the lawns, hob knob the auction. Oh well, next year...

21. lbf100

lbf100
    from holden mo

22. seatex

seatex