Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31' Ford pickup trade for 29' wrecker??? What's the verdict fellas?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Wurger, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Wurger

Wurger

I have a 31' model A that I got mid project, though I have an original frame it is currently sitting on a currier chassis with a mustangs II front end and an old shortened 9" rear, the engine is a 2.3L with a c4 trans. The body is very straight and it's only flaws are where the last builder cut sections out of the inside of the fenders for the new front end (easily repaired) a small section out of the driver hood side for the steering box ( damn it! ) and a crappy galvanized roof...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 29 wrecker is an original custom, it runs and has a pto, ect. The wrecker/ crane and mech is a home build job not a weaver or anything, Not to pretty but could be cleaned up... You can See where the builder used (39 tail lights ???) for marker lights and a cowl light for a work light, even has a place for bottles and cutting torch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just torn on the trade.....Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff and exterminator like this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is your Goal? The wrecker might be nice restored, then again it may just be a cab, hood, radiator shell and fender doner for a future pickup project. Bob

'52F3Nut likes this.
  3. I don't know if I would trade the truck or not. But I do know I like Pabst Blue Ribbon, so you're alright with me......

The wrecker is far more interesting to look at, the pu would be far better to actually drive. Try to get both?

Wurger likes this.
  4. exterminator

exterminator

Depends on what your preference is- not anyone else. I like driving something that no one has driving around.I can't remember seeing one of those at a car cruise. Just saying.....

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Wurger likes this.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Wrecker is my choice.
    Just know that everyone of your buddies will want you to tow something.

Wurger likes this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm, a 31 pu that's almost there or a 29 wrecker that needs EVERYTHING? You'd find me in the long line with the 31 at the end of it. However, that's me and my goals surely are not yours. I see a truck that needs a lot of heavy repair/restoration just to look somewhat respectable, and once done will ride like an unsprung trailer with a top speed of about 35 MPH. I'd rather look at one than own it, sorry to be a buzzkill...

7. I'm with Highlander on this one......

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I'll take the wrecker. Way more character and personality.

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With Highlander also, good luck !

10. Worm drive,,,,35 MPH,,,,maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I had an early 1928 AA Rack body truck, nice one with the long running boards and rear fenders. Like all my projects I sold it before finishing it. It had the high speed rear axle not the worm drive like the one in the wrecker. Two years after I sold my AA the owner came over with the restored truck and asked if I wanted to take it around the block. Sloooooooooooooow is the first thing I remember, glad I sold it, but some day would like a 28-29 Ford pickup like Jakes. Bob

12. Toqwik

Toqwik

13. '52F3Nut

'52F3Nut

I'm with the Highlander as well. But ultimately it is up to you, after all you will be footing the bill either way.

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I agree with Highlander . The wrecker would never be more than a conversation piece . The pickup with the 4cylinder would be a great anytime driver. Larry

15. '52F3Nut

'52F3Nut

Down hill with a 60MPH tail wind!!

The37Kid likes this.
  16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd forgotten about the worm drive thing, was thinking of the more conventional drive. Please excuse my "ambitious" speed estimate ;) When I think Model A wrecker to own:
    [​IMG]

Now this would find a home with me and I'd likely never hang anything from the hook. But hot damn...:eek:

quick edit: I know the price of admission for that above is pretty fluggin high, but you might as well aim for the bullseye, no? The 31 you have, once finished, could get you way closer to something like that. Maybe not even on the deluxe platform but still, more advanced. Just throwing some ideas and thoughts around. You asked...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    kiwijeff, exterminator and Wurger like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^ There was a sister truck to that one at Hershey in the Chocolate field 2016, still had the Briggs tag on that special bed. Nice border line too nice to restore, phone number price was way higher than the one in the above photo. Bob

18. alchemy

alchemy

To me, either of the chassis under those trucks is worthless, so it's up to which body style I prefer. I like 28/9 more than 30/1, so there is my answer. They would just be bare body and fenders to me.

55styleliner, Wurger and The37Kid like this.
  19. scotts52

scotts52

What are your goals? That plays a significant role in making your decision. I'd rather drive around in the 31 and have loads of fun over driving around in a wrecker. If you have tons of projects like I do then a wrecker would definitely be worth considering. I don't like regrets when it comes to wishing I'd kept something so I'd be finding a way to buy the wrecker AND keep the 31. I sure don't feel the wrecker has the same value but that's just my opinion.

Wurger likes this.
  20. I think the guy that ends up with the 31 pickup is the winner! The whole wrecker bed looks home made not much value in my eyes.

Wurger and The37Kid like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I totally agree. That wrecker is outside for a reason, few people have a garage/barn that it would fit in. Bob

Wurger likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

which would be on the road quicker? which would be the best bargaining chip in a future deal?

Wurger likes this.
  23. Wurger

Wurger

Thank you for all of the input guys! I've got a lot more to consider now. I defiantly got caught up in the moment, sure glad that the H.A.M.B. Doesn't charge for counseling

kiwijeff, clunker and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  24. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Let's see if I have this correct. Your dog is a drunk, and you're asking for advice on an old truck? Better to ask advice on the dog. Actually, I quizzed him about the drinking problem, and he replied that he was pissed because you aren't getting that '31 on the road. You understand -- he's missing the ears blowing in the wind -- bugs on the teeth, those sorts of things.
    Yup, he and I vote on the '31.

Wurger, williebill and kiwijeff like this.
  25. The dog looks pregnant, so not sure if it has a drinking problem, but I can say many human females have gotten knocked up while under the influence......

Shit, sorry, went a little OT for a second there.

What a problem.
    On one hand, you have a truck that's not really Hamb friendly, but looks quite finishable, on the other, a cool wrecker that needs a shit ton of work.
    Guess you have a tough decision, buddy.
    Sorry I'm no help.

Wurger and williebill like this.
  26. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

pickup. leave the wrecker to the RR's

Wurger likes this.
  27. The towing and recovery museum in Chattanooga might be interested in the wrecker. Remember they actually towed cars and trucks with that rig back in the day, with a Model A engine rated at about 40 HP, only way to do that is to gear it really, really low. Probably about the same top speed as a 9N tractor. If I had a field full of old stuff, it would be fun to use to move stuff around. Remember some cool old yard goats from the junkyards of my youth. Remember old Ott Chambers had a '40s Dodge with a much older hand-cranked Manley boom and winch on it. Beed Carroll had a jailbar Ford that was all beat up but had a sweet running Merc flathead in it. John McMillan had a World War II vintage GMC 6x6 Army truck with a home-built boom on it, all used to move stuff around the yard or to pick a vehicle up for somebody to get a transmission or rear end.

28. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I see more value in the pickup. Even if the value is only in the sheet metal.

I love AA trucks, but they are mostly good for yard ornaments.

Wurger likes this.
  29. modeleh

modeleh

I have had AAs, and they are fun but only really back roads cruisers. Think stock Model T kind of performance.
    I had a 31 with high speed gears and could get it up to 50, but it wasn't comfortable up there. About 43 was reasonably smooth. One thing that appeals to me with the AA is the look of the dual wheels and Budd wheels. IMO, these cool looking wheels and tires are an overlooked factor when dreaming about buying one and enjoying the drive. They are a very heavy wheel/tire assembly with tubes and flaps. They don't balance out well at all, you can go through all six you have and put the best two on the front, but at 50 mph the front end can get pretty shaky and the fenders seem like they're trying to get rid of their bolts and fly away.
    Would I buy another one? Maybe if the price was really right and it was more or less ready for the road AND I had easy access to some country roads with little traffic. That last part of the equation gets harder and harder to find though.

Wurger likes this.
  30. patterg2003

patterg2003

1931 Hands down. In agreement with Highlander. The 31 is a project that can be finished with reasonable effort and it is well on its way. Many of us would snap that up the 31 given the opportunity. The tow truck could be misty eyed optimism that may get drowned in the amount of work to bring it to life. A local parts store owner has a 32 - 34 Ford tow truck. He drives it to park in front of his shop occasionally. No one goes out of their way to walk over & look at the tow truck. He is building a 50 Ford F1 with MII suspension that he wants to drive places. I think interest in driving the AA may be short lived after the novelty has worn off and one gets weary of the hard ride.

The 31 has a wide array of suspension part options available and can be configured anyway you want with reasonable effort. The mustang II could be replaced with an straight axle or a blister patch panels added to the fenders to make it disappear. Roof is repairable with replacement body parts available. Engines to bolt to a C4. The 31 is worth walking over to check out. The 31 body looks solid and the work manageable. It depends what the vision is, how long the novelty of the tow truck will last after it is done, the driving comfort plus the investment in money and life to give to create a good ride.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Wurger likes this.