Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear gas tank ideas for 30 A roadster/32 chassis needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john walker, Mar 8, 2017.

1. john walker

john walker

Got the frame powder painted and ready to start reassembly for hopefully the last time, so the gas tank is about the last item I haven't decided on. How about some pics of your tank and if it was purchased from a retailer, who was it and what part number, if you remember? It's got a 392 hemi and webers, so 18 plus gallons would be best. Thinking about this one from Tanks.inc. Thanks!

prd_82.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's a nice looking tank.

Where do you want to put it? What does the frame look like with the body on it? Is it a hi-boy or channeled?

3. john walker

john walker

Highboy. In the trunk ( not rumble seat) against the panel behind the seat. That tank clears each side by about an inch. Best one I've see online so far, and it's 18 gallons, but other ideas are welcome. Not above copying someone.

Wurger likes this.
  4. same tank i have in my `30 coupe on `32 frame rails...fits and works great

5. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

It would be nice if the filler was on one side or the other so you don't have to reach over everything else in the trunk, or drip fuel over everything. No matter how careful you are, it's gonna happen. I want a similar tank, about 6" narrower, so I can put the battery beside it.

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. Maybe Tanks would build one?

Hudson31 likes this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice looking tank.
    I have always been pleased with Tanks tanks! :)
    I purchased their universal tank for my 1919 Dort and once installed looks almost original to the car.
    In my pic you can see the original to the right on the floor.
    Dort tank 003a.jpg

8. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I have used that same exact tank in a number of A/32 cars and it works very well. I like their products very much. They have another one similar in size that has a filler on the top if you want an outside fill.

9. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

I got a 30 with tank in trunk 10 gallons with a 383 ,it's enough so I stop about 100 miles .I put a motorcycle gage sending unit in it works great with sw gage. I put my batt behind seat ,thought should be separate from fuel

10. My 31 has an LTL poly tank similar to the Tanks, behind the seat like you intend to do. Seemed like the safest place to me.
    Tanks wasn't available in the 80's, and the LTL is filled with foam like a fuel cell, but has a POS sending unit which hasn't worked right for 30 years. If I ever do it over, it will be a Tanks like in the pic.

11. 5window

5window

I have a Tanks 16 gallon in the truck-with a steel firewall between it and me-probably just wishful thinking. The Tanks product has been great for 13 years with the exception of needing to replace the rubber cap gasket-which Tanks sent me. Tanks had been a bit stodgy to deal with, but they're owned by Yogi's now and Yogi's has always been great. My tank's filler is on the top left.

12. Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the one I used in my 31 A. I put a couple of upper brackets on it also for stability. Gage in the trunk, no room on the dash. IM002908.JPG

14. 5window

5window

Almost identical to mine excepting filler opening location and paint color.

15. 5window

5window

Tanks, Inc lists a couple of Universal tanks for about $250.00

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  16. john walker

john walker

Ok, looks like that one is pretty popular, Thanks!

17. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

18. 48stude

48stude

I put that tank in my 29 Roadster trunk. Minus the filler neck . Bill P1010683.JPG

19. I used a 65 / 66 Mustang tank from Tanks Inc. and built it in under the raised trunk floor. The filler is in the middle of the rear panel under the back window. Worked out great, I believe it was 16 gallons. I don't have a pic of the tank in my car but this is the tank. prdp_22.jpg fall hot rod pics 031.jpg P1200283.JPG

20. supernut

supernut

21. You could also look at the tanks Rock Valley builds. They have really good quality and they can custom build one for your specific needs .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. as long as we are posting pictures, mine:
    30coupea 004.jpg

23. bct

bct

I used one from a freuhoff (sp?) Refer unit. Fit nice between the rain gutters and has the filler on the drivers side. I mouneed it right in front of the panel below the deck lid. Lots of room in my trunk still.

24. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Try a VW Kombi Van fuel tank [the early model is below]

[​IMG]

bct likes this.