Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Low seats for Chopped A coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bartmcneill, Mar 6, 2017.

1. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

My search for this didn't work out well. I am building a 30 Ford Model A coupe with a 6 inch chop. I am 6 feet tall and can only have a two to three inch thick seat bottom or my head will hit. What have you guys used from other cars that might work? I don't want bomber seats. Want to upholster it someday.

Attached Files:

2. My buddy has a 30 coupe with a 5 inch chop. He used the old reliable Chrystler mini van middle seat. He and his wife claim it it very comfortable.

3. This may not sound like a good idea. But it works for me. I have two model A s with 6'' chops. and a 34 delivery with a 3'' chop. I'm also 6' tall. So I just use a pillow for comfort. You can upholster your floor, or use a thin flat seat, or what ever looks cool to you. 201.jpg And than just use a comfortable pillow. It's also washable. These are 3''s from the top of the seat to the floor,with good head room. Just say en Ron...

mad mikey and Piedmont like this.
  4. evintho

evintho

Never discount Craigslist! Keep your options open and think outside the box. They don't necessarily have to be automotive seats. Here's a couple of prospects in your area..........
    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/fuo/6024683779.html
    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/spo/6021859904.html
    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/6009742796.html
    https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/5987096663.html

I found this in the 'Free' section of CL. It's out of a short bus, is practically brand new, has a 4" thick seat cushion and at 40" wide fits perfectly in my 'T' roadster. Soon to be wrapped in a Mexican blanket. Can't beat the price!

[​IMG]

5. Never2low

Never2low

I was going to suggest modifying the stock seat back, to mount lower to the floor, then cutting a 1/2" plywood template for the seat bottom.
    Glue a 1" layer of the firmer upholstery foam, to the ply, then top that with a layer of the thicker softer foam. Sculpt the edges to suit, (electric turkey carvers work great) then wrap in your choice of vinyl/leather.
    Your choice whether or not you want to anchor it to the floor, or use your butt to hold it in place.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Research wise, you might want to look at the data from the folks who make racing seats, or from street cars like the Porsche 914 and Fiero to get some info on how much their seat pans and backs were angled - raised in the front of the seat pan to maintain thigh support and tilted further to the rear at the back to maintain lumbar support in the small of the back. This isn't so much of a worry if the seat back is also adjustable, but if the seat is like an old airplane bucket then things could get uncomfortable fast. Try sitting flat on the floor with your back against the wall to see how uncomfortable that would be on your legs and torso while driving. As you scoot your butt forward and lean back at the same time, your knees rise making life in general a lot better and pedal control better. Gary

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Suzuki Sidekick rear. sorry I don't have better pics. it sits down pretty low. Thank Chuck Emory for that idea.

Attached Files:

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

jump seat 1 001.JPG jump seat 1 002.JPG jump seat 1 003.JPG Ford had some "jump seats ? " that sort of folded and rotated from the side panel to become the rear seats...
    about 12" square... chech out other trucks for jump seats...
    ... messed with bronco and mustang seats... 21" wide, '64 to '67 have thinner backs, '68 and newer have an inch more foam on the back and bottom than the early birds...
    the early bird bottom is about 6" tall plus the mounting studs...
    early birds don't lock in the up position, no release knob / lever...
    the sliders are not a direct interchange, all broncos seats were driver's / left side seats...
    no passenger side sliders as they had a hinge and rotated forward...
    drilled and tapped a 1/4"-20 hole and then step drilled an existing hole to weld in a 5/16" -18 nut and used the funky stock phillips screw, and a 1/4"-20 screw... puts the drivers slider's on the passenger side's bronco seat...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My coupe has an 8 inch chop. I am a little over 6 foot and I fit the car just right. My seats are built on a wooden base with padding and upholstery..............works pretty well

[​IMG]

10. 51box

51box
    from MA

This is a rear seat from a mid 90's suburban. I narrowed it around 5"s. It's very comfortable to sit in and the base of the seat in the rear sits on the floor. Cars chopped 5"s and I'm 5'10". I have around 4" between my head and the roof with the cushions on it. Also it will tilt forward if that matters to you. IMG_0448.JPG

popawolf likes this.
  11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Here's a 6 1/2' chop with an old bus(??) seat on the floor.. Raised the header and windshield an inch to give better visibility...**clic pic** 100_3566.JPG 100_3577.JPG 100_3573.JPG

13. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Model A is chopped a bunch as well. I am 6'3" and did a look of looking for a seat, maybe I should have done the seat looking part first. I tried just about every seat I could find and finally found that C-3 Corvette seats worked perfect.

IMG_2842 (Small).JPG

Attached Files:

dan c likes this.
  14. dan31

dan31

I bought a wise guys seat when i started the build on my 31 ,there is basically nothing left of it as i had the cut away trying to get it so i could fit. I would just build a seat . Everything about a model A just comes down to making yourself fit.

15. A Boner

A Boner

It works best if you get and mount a low seat in the car first, then determine how much to chop the top and still be able to see out the windshield and have adequate head room! Sort of a plan ahead situation.

dan31 and Just Gary like this.
  16. My Model A (avatar) has a 5" chop, had these seats made last year, kicked up 8" at the front of the seat cushion, 2" at the rear, worked out well for me!
    Window.jpg

Jet96 and mad mikey like this.
  17. PRB

PRB
    from Az

If you are going to lay the seat on the floor then kick up the front like 1927Graham did for support because you will be in a squat position with your knees high and no contact except your butt cheeks....that gets old if you really drive the thing.

deadbeat likes this.
  18. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Yup, Dodge caravan second seat. Third row seat is too wide. Plus some fold flat. I am 6'5" 1488998324077.jpg 1488998364556.jpg

popawolf likes this.
  20. I'm 6'2"... Our 4 " chopped, '31 coupe has mid 60's mustang front seats.....

The car is blown apart... Sorry, no pictures.

21. rlsteel

rlsteel

my 30 pickup is chopped and channeled this is what I had a fellow Hamb member rottenleonard build for it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  22. Piedmont

Piedmont

Dodge caravan 2nd row seat. 42" wide have about a 4" seat bottom. It works in my 27 coupe with 8" out of the roof and i'm 6 foot tall. Dirt cheap from the scrap yard and topped off with a $28 blanket from Amazon 20170307_211211.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and popawolf like this.
  23. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

[​IMG]
    Not my car I just upholstered it. this car is chopped 4" and channeled 4" and the seat bottoms are out of 50s MG, and I built the seat back to fit the car. The seats mount on a hinge and fold ahead, as does the backrest.

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have a stock seat riser and seat cushions in my coupe right now. I look right at the top of the windshield right now. I am Planning on rebuilding the seat cushion shorter. I have several old sets of springs and was going to take them apart and replace with shorter ones. This is the best options for me because I am still running the stock riser. I did however move it back 6" and cut down the package tray to fit.

seat riser.jpg Seat cushion.jpg

25. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

Going to have to make a trip to the salvage I guess.
    Just finished up the passenger door. Looks wild next to a stock sedan door.
    Whatever I have to use for a seat I think it will be worth it. I fell in love with the look.

Attached Files:

26. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

S10 bench or buckets. I have the buckets in mine. You'll want the short back seats. 20150411_113241.jpg

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

You can't argue with a nice chopped look. I don't like tall backed modern looking buckets. Kind of spoils the traditional look. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

My 28 Tudor was chopped 5", it had Camaro buckets in it. I am 5-10 and it worked good for me until I got older and it was hard getting in and out.

29. The Dodge Caravan middle seat fits width wise just about perfect. Just cut off the legs and make your own mounts. The back height is good too.
    I paid $15 for mine and it was in great shape.