Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm building a steam powered Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wafflemaster, Mar 6, 2017.

1. in addition to the `30 ford roadster with a Stanley Steamer motor i mentioned in my first post, i had a steam powered 1900 Locomobile. it operated around 150 PSI and had no automatic water level control ...the Stanley did ...and you had to keep an eye on the sight gauge and pull a lever to work a pump. it had an original fire tube boiler so it was able to be licensed in the state of Minnesota. the Stanley powered A had a homemade water tube boiler. even though it was hydostated to 2000 PSI the state would have nothing to do with it. both cars burned fuel oil

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    simpsonrl likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Rube Goldberg would be proud. I'm watching with great interest. I love this kind of offbeat shit!

3. modeleh

modeleh

I would recommend going with a fire tube boiler from Don Bourdon. I built a similar copper tube boiler like yours for my portable hot tub but I'm not producing much pressure. Remember there is some weight of water in your coils and bouncing up and down on the road under pressure may lead to problems of the wrong kind. I think a proven robust design like the Stanley or Locomobile boiler is the way to go here.
    Fred Marriot was running around 1200 psi if I recall correctly, from a voice recorded interview done in the 50s. It's on YouTube and very interesting.
    You should also have 3 ways to get water into the boiler, a primary injector, a backup injector, and a hand pump.
    You may also want to consider a condensing system like the later Stanleys had.

The37Kid likes this.
  4. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

I can't picture how that engine is going to fit in the compartment and have a belt (?) drive to the rear end. Any sketches you can post?

Very interesting thread. Please keep us posted on your progress!

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Everyone is concerned about safety. How many people in here ever drive an old roadster over 100 mph without a roll bar, helmet or seat belt? How many " tipped the can " to make more hp without regards to safety?

The op obviously has studied this for quite a while before attempting to build it. More than a lot of people did on their projects. This is traditional as hot rodding gets. Build it your way because it is what you have to build with or an idea you have .... Just to different. Ed Roth wouldn't have gotten far if not for that part.

Sent from my LG-H343 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tanoki, just Mike, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  6. Danny, I have no dog in this fight, and this post isn't meant to be an attack/slight on you:
    While many of us recognize that this is not a traditional build, in the normal sense of the H.A.M.B., I believe you're drawing flack as you were the one to point out that it's not traditional, and then double down on your stance by copying and pasting the rules on the board. Comes across as board policing.
    Since neither of us are moderators, lets just leave it for the moderators to see and decide as they will.

And for the record, I imagine I'll lose a gas cap or two, once I finally get something on the road :) Had to reach out the window and tighten the cap at a stop light once, but never did lose the cap on my 60.

slimcat7m3, bct and turboroadster like this.
  7. I thought you were trying to lighten things as much as possible to offset the boiler weight? You need a smaller bell like this! :)
    RunBell Running Finger Bell.jpg

slv63 and wafflemaster like this.
  8. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

This skips a few steps in the build, but here's the rough placement in the chassis (video below). Driver will be seated over the rear axle, behind a very long hood containing the engine, firebox and water supply. Overall design goal is something like a Miller indy car or one of the Vanderbilt Cup cars from the turn of the century.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Lookin' GOOD!
    BTW..... Nice big shop!

BradinNC and wafflemaster like this.
  10. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

If you haven't found it, here's a website that may interest you:
    engineads.com
    It is nothing but want ads for antique gas and stem engine and associated stuff. Good luck with your project!

wraymen likes this.
  11. pumpman

pumpman

Very interesting thread, I don't know if I would have the stones to sit behind that thing but I bet Henry Ford heard the same line. Good luck and don't forget to wear your kevlar jock strap.

lbcd, kiwijeff and wafflemaster like this.
  12. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Ok, that's insane. I'm totally impressed.

lothiandon1940 and wafflemaster like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Applause and KUDOS! Great achievement! It will work...
    And......Lots of steam will be emitted, no doubt you may attract attention from the local constabulary...
    Example:
    I had a '50 Ford coupe that developed a knock, (piston speed) Temp gauge rose significantly. There was steam aplenty exiting my right exhaust pipe...Siren signaled me to pull over.
    Policeman walked up and asked, "What's all the smoke for?" I said, "That 'smoke' is steam...I just had a problem with a head gasket, or something related..."
    The cop wrote a ticket for excessive 'smoke'. (California, 1962: Cali was getting way into 'smog issues')
    Went to court with my piston and wrist pin that had 'sawed' its way thru the cylinder...Judge called me up and I said, "Not guilty, for reasons I can explain in 30 seconds."
    The judge was all ears, and when I told him that the smoke was STEAM, then I found on the teardown, I inferred that he had a cop that didn't know smoke from steam...everybody in the courtroom laughed, the judge laughed too, and uttered "Case dismissed!"

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Push the button Max !!!!!!:D

TNgizmo and wraymen like this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To HRP and waffle guy, I applaud both of you. Danny, your input as to topic is surely welcom and I know the spirit from which you brought it up. I think most of us get that so hang in there and thanks. Waffle dude, this is a bitchin persuit, way out of the box but that's what's so kool about it. Even cooler, taking note of the knowledge base here, guys with heavy industrial and commercial certs that are willing to offer support and ideas as well as safety. Where else would we find that? Best of luck and can't wait to see it moving. Give it good brakes, you may need em:eek:

16. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Well I for one love it but if I could over build the fire box I would ...kinda get that scattershield effect

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

You almost steamed your clams in the video, be careful.:eek::D

18. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Super interesting idea and I'm excited to see where you take it. Growing up where I have in Minnesota, I've seen lots of vintage Tractors and steam powered machinery, and it is all very neat.

I'm hoping it all works as planned and that it is as safe as you hope it to be. Don't be scared to post your failures as well as your victories! If some part isn't working or you need to go back to the drawing board, it will be a good example for anyone interested in what it takes to safely operate a steam powered machine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I've been following along not saying much and didn't think much of the idea until I saw the clip of the car move under its own power. That's insane. Way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wheeldog57 likes this.
  20. greybeard360

greybeard360

LeoH likes this.
  21. Ummm...That's so badass

kidcampbell71 and clunker like this.
  22. AKCJ

AKCJ

I've been around a few steam cars. Steam power is so addictive!
    Check out flameengineering for propane burner info & parts. They helped on one of our gas burner projects that we now have a patent for.
    Cool project!

wafflemaster likes this.
  23. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

Yes, a fire box/scatter jacket has been on the drawing board since the onset of this project. I figure that if my home BBQ can stay at 500 degrees for hours on a small tank of propane, a box around my boilers will keep them nice and toasty with minimal flame height. I'm planning on insulating it with some high-tech ceramic insulation for maximum efficiency. I found a few wood stove glass inserts so that the flames will be visible. Should be an interesting sight at night :)

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

I agree and I was able to source a Jerguson 16-R20 armored gauge today. Very robust indeed.

25. williebill

williebill

Reason number 9,371 why I love the HAMB. The knowledge and expertise on here is amazing

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

One day I was driving the car in my ava and I was stopped at a light. A soccer mom in her minivan pulled up to my right. She lowered her window and asked "Who makes that?". "Mazda". I replied. She nodded knowingly and drove away.

27. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Wow! This is so cool-

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

29. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Wafflemaster if you haven't already you should post this up over on the steam automobile club of america forum. Im sure they'd enjoy seeing your project. Good luck and have fun. Joe

30. LOL, thought the same thing.

Good stuff wafflemaster, I'm hooked.