Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Never mind I was just having some fun with the grape. Your coverage of the racing that day was GOOD STUFF some of the best shots I have seen on bangshift. If those are all your shots there are some more posted in individual owners threads on here when there was just them I recognized.

2. dougg01

dougg01
    from KY

My 16yr-old son could not come with me on Saturday (homework) and on Sunday I was pretty sure no one would let him come trackside with me so he shot the videos from the top of the stands. All of those are mine and there are a LOT more. I do not post on here much because I fear the post police. Who knows....maybe they are already eyeing this because all the SEGA cars aren't authentic, back-in-the-day cars. Their reputation precedes them. I shoot for the Straight -Axle Mafia too and their cars are not period-correct, but they are a fun bunch too that put on a good show. Not sure I should dare post any photos from those events. In 2016 my sons and I (I have a 10yr-old that comes to some events) took over 16,000 photos. To say I have a lot of files in my archive is a tremendous understatement. Terabytes of data. Glad you all enjoy. I was shocked I missed this thread and only happened to stumble upon it while doing a google search for our photos. I try to let me sons see how far and wide they have spread and that a lot of folks really enjoy them. We don't charge for photos and make $15/article so this isn't even a break-even deal. The payoff is in friends we make and people enjoying them. I am fairly proud of the SEG work. The conditions Sunday were near perfect for photos.

3. dougg01

dougg01
    from KY

Oh....and the photos in the articles on BangShift are not all of the Grape or any of them. I cherry-pick the best of quality and content with an eye on the fact they prefer the contributors keep the photo count to around 50. 4 articles for the SEGA at Mountain Park Dragway and 4 for the brackets running both days. There are a few cars in the brackets you all would like as well.

beebee78, II FUNNY and loudbang like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

I think anything of the SEG group or metldown shouldn't be any problems with age cutoffs or anything a lot of the guys have build threads on here and or coverage of them at those events and they are allowed. The problems come up with new stuff like pro stock scoops and too much billet but meltdown and SEG have a new car age cut off and keep the "Look" to older than 65 so they have been oked.

You only on FB? Most of us old timers here don't do FB lol.

5. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Where did you get the fiberglass frontend for your '55 from? I read you weren't happy with it, but I could do the same as you did and make it work on my '56 Customline. Funny that I commented on the SEG's I.G. account about "who's '55 Ford that is" a few weeks ago and while recuperating from surgery I'm strolling thru HAMB posts and stumble across the very build of Skairlane. Great build, great group of guys, I hope this style of racing works its way up here to the PNW !!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  6. It is a Suncoast front clip. Yes I was very unhappy with the clip I specifically ordered it to be a hood and fenders I didn't like the 2/3 hood I wanted a full hood that I could make look like it's a stock front clip. I wanted it to have headlight bezels and stock hood lines. If u look at the detail of the car u will see why I put all the window fuzzy's back in with all lexan windows. Driver and passenger windows even roll up and down also has vent windows in it. I wanted the body to look stock. Wich it does look pretty much stock except the front clip now. It has grown on me and I really like the way it turned out. The glass itself is nice stuff just when someone says they will build it the way I want and don't that's why I was unhappy with it. I have extensive hours in making the stuff fit perfect the way it does I'm sure if u look back in the thread u can see the work I had to do to make the stuff as good as it is now. Suncoast can save u some trouble if u want a flip front by just making it completely 1 piece. The doors and trunk are from there also they fit really good had to add some material to the edges of the doors that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

beebee78, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  7. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks, I'll look them up. Yes, just a one piece, fenders&hood flip front end is all I want. I'll never be competitive, and only have the aspirations of building mine for lots of fun, with either a tunnel rammed 460, or a mechanical injection 301 Chevy, and a straight axle, all stuff I already own and have in my garage. I'll spend lots of hours with hole saws and drill bits, but doubt I'll go the 'glass door and deck lid route like you did. Wish I could, just can't. Your car is bitchin', Quain and the rest of the SEG guys have done a phenomenal job of keeping the real 1967 time period (the year I just happen to have been born also) alive. Good luck on the '17 season, and hopefully you have those water/oil problems all figured out. I'm scared to death of flying and have family in Ohio, Alabama, and Florida, I'm in Washinton state...... I don't drink, so maybe I'll have to pop a XANAX or 3 (I'm told that's what I need to do???) to fly over there to attend one of those races. Just had prostate cancer surgery so I have plenty of time to build my '56 Customline in my head while I'm recuperating and watch all the SEG and Meltdown videos on YouTube. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Ken

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Ken the Southeast Gassers booked a race the weekend before the Melt downs just for fan's like you. TWO races in one trip Lyons Indiana July 8th for the SEGA race then hang out and see a big show with rules the next weekend THE MELT DOWN DRAGS in Bryon Illinois July 14 - 15.

9. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks Quain for the reply. I'll look into that. That just may be possible for us. I Signed up to the web sight a few months ago but keep getting this when I sign on. No biggie, I know your busy building cars and stuff. I can still see stuff on the web site, and the I.G. account. I think I signed up mid December or so??

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I got the same thing.

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Saltflats and Chopperimpala I'll check into this now. Our web site sucks. We are making changes to it soon.

12. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

X3 But I just figured you were as busy as a one-legged guy at an ass-kicking contest. Which it sounds like you are.

And to the OP's, Love your builds and hope the winter has allowed time to wrap up a couple more! Looking forward to seeing some of you run at SIM. A group of us are heading down.

Dog_Patch, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Quain don't sweat it for us...you are overworked and I wish there was something I could do to help.

14. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Quain, how much are you involved with those "Meet the SEG" videos on the FB page that Greer is doing, if any?? They are great!! I'm recuperating from prostate cancer removal surgery so lately I have a lot of bed time doing nothing but looking at videos of you guys on YouTube and studying how the cars are built. But the 3rd. edition with -One Gone Dog- and Rebecca Smock has created a monster. My 11 y/o little girl (who is also a cancer survivor) wants to be a B.U.G. !!!! HaHa, she's a little HotRod girl, and she has a Model A sedan of her own that we're building for her, and we watch HotRod, DragRace, & DragBoat videos together all the time. When she saw Rebecca on the Strip being involved with, and backing the '56 into place, her eyes lit up and she exclaimed "I want to do that daddy"! Just thought it was funny and you'd get a kick out of it. The picture is her learning to mount some G60's using our coats2020.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Mtn Goat, Dog_Patch, racer-x and 6 others like this.
  15. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks, yes I am pretty lucky to have her interested in some of the same things I like. She does have a cellphone (with the medical issues, we felt it was needed), but she's NOT glued to it. She's comfortable behind a funny car, or on stage as a pinup announcing the GNRS 2016 pinup winner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  16. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I'm afraid I kinda derailed this thread, as it's supposed to be about the Gasser builds, and not my daughters car interests. I just end up replying to someone and forget what the original intended reason this thread was made for, and I appologize about that. I'll keep it ON TOPIC from now on.
    Now let's see those build updates!!

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  17. Ken thanks for sharing your story. Great to see kids involved with this kind of stuff. People are shocked me being 31 and into Vintage racing as much as I am. If you guys make any races I'm at let me know as long as it's ok with the track I will let your daughter help back the Skairlane up. After all she's been through its the least I could let her do.

18. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Well that is one hell of a nice jesture!! And to think YOUR '55 is the reason I started scouring the HAMB looking for info on it, which brought me here. I really appreciate that. If you see my picture thing to the left (I forget what it's called), that's her with HER '30 sedan.

19. Awesome. I own the 31 chevy Vicky that was in the beginning of this build thread also. It's going to be a street car now. Now u asked for an update so here is where I am. My motor is still at the engine shop. We have had some setbacks. When he pulled the heads apart everything was junk all 16 valve guides completely junk 14 of the 16 valves junk stems were wore from the guides being so junk. Seats are junk from the valves hammering them in a different spot every time they open and closed. And he had the water seepage problem fixed when they ground into the area there was a 3/8" deep hole in the casting. Pretty sad the heads had 15 dyno pulls and 27 passes on them. I spoke to Robert Pond about the problem and he basically told me to pound sand it wasn't his problem. That he sent me a perfect set of heads wich my engine builder says was not the case. So once we get the heads back then he can measure piston to valve clearance and order the new pistons. I was hoping to make the first SEG race but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. If he gets the heads back next week it's still possible I'm keeping my fingers crossed. On the plus side my new trailer will be done in which weeks should make traveling with the car way easier.

20. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Yeah I read all those water issues you were having. I feel if the heads were truly as good as he said they were, he would have stepped up to the plate to help out. It's pretty obvious your car isn't have assedly assembled. So the engine build and breakin procedure would be as up to par as the rest of the build. Seems he screwed up, screwed you over and found his "out" and washed his hands of it?? Word of shit like that travels fairly fast and widespread, so I'm sure what he losses in potential customers if he had of stood by his claims will hit him in the pocket book eventually? My Customline won't have a SOHC in it, just a 460 with a tunnelram and mag. I emailed the frontend people for info but never heard from them yet. I may just weld/bolt my frontend up and flip it in steel?? I don't need to be as weight saving as you since I'm running a 460, but I still plan on hole sawing a lot of panels. Keep up the great work, you guys along with Quain are doing an outstanding job with this era specific rulings and it's what drew me in so much more than just an average interest. The strong specific wheel/tire, and underhood restrictions make all the difference in the word.

21. U will have to start a thread on your build so we can see if already haven't. Just so u know I emailed Suncoast several times and never got a response your best bet is to call. The glass nose wasn't to bad expensive. I believe I paid $2200 shipped to me for nose,doors,dash,and trunk.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  22. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I will when I get to that point. I'm recovering from Cancer removal surgery myself at the moment. So haven't done anything for a few weeks now. I've been gathering up parts and pieces for quite a while, and was moving things around to get the '56 into the shop when we got Bella's news. When that happened I kinda "shut down" physically and emotionally for the past 3 years. So when I'm back on my feet I'll be able to get back into the swing of things.
    That's what brought me searching for your build, and I saw another '55 pulling some crazy wheelies owned by a guy named Dan White. Lots of tri-5, and Willy's builds out there to see what people do, but not to many '55/'56 Ford builds. I want to build it a period correct according to SEGA rules, so seeing some proven builds have helped formulate how I plan on building it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Heads are all done brand new again and we shouldn't have any water leaks this year. Now he's gonna mock it all up and measure piston to valve clearance and get the new pistons on order. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I will make Montgomery April 8th.
    E0345A29-.jpg 3B1BB939-.jpg

Pufff, OahuEli, 9sectruck and 9 others like this.
  24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Too bad the Douchebag Robert Pond couldn't have sold you a decent product to begin with!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. My seats are done. Mikey Brown did a fantastic job on them I can't wait to see them in person. These are really going to set off the inside of my car. Also got great news on the engine should have pistons in 3 weeks. The compression will be back up to 14.5:1 or so. I can't wait to get this thing back on the track making some real power.

received_1266847366717180.jpeg FB_IMG_1488846628104.jpg

Pufff, Mtn Goat, Chucky and 19 others like this.
  26. Holy smokes! Who's Mikey Brown?

loudbang likes this.
  27. He's a badass upolstrey guy that is reasonably priced and gets shit done. Lol look him up on Facebook he's getting all my work from now on

28. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0947.JPG The "Grapes" starting to come together ! Can't wait to see how it runs !!!

OahuEli, Mtn Goat, Chucky and 11 others like this.
  29. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

loudbang likes this.
  30. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

loudbang and beebee78 like this.