Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm building a steam powered Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wafflemaster, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

This is the most out of the box thread I've read in a long long time. So cool! Keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well this is a great way of letting off some steam...get that horsepower up there or what would it be measured in steamboats. Make us believers. There was a Doble , Stanley...don't know much about them but there is something to harness for sure...Good luck with it.

Arominus likes this.
  3. Damn cool. If it doesn't work I'll bet it'll make some kick ass Moonshine.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dang Mr. Science, your shop alone qualifies for shop of the decade. Crazy project to say the least. Growing up, every summer, a distant neighbor in our housing development, would bring out his restored Stanley Steamer, and all the neighborhood kids would be running behind him, or riding their bikes, following until he got to the main road. Although what you're doing is way beyond my level, more "steam power" to you. I am Butchy/56sedandelivery.

Stogy likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is Fred Mariott in his Land Speed Record setting Stanley, I think that record held for almost 100 nears. Bob

upload_2017-3-7_0-19-7.png

6. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

1906 land speed record?? That's not traditional! Lol
    Cool little tid bit there. The guy had guts hitting over 100 MPH on those tires!

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I think that's a Jensen Model 75 in the first pic. I have the exact same model, a (THE) Christmas present under the tree, when I was maybe 5. I didn't even know what it was exactly, but the gleaming nickel coated brass boiler with a glass window, and trainlike bits and pieces - Sure hoped it was mine! It BETTER be mine, because my stupid brothers could never appreciate such a fine piece of machinery. In later years my suspicions proved correct, one brother shot the boiler glass out with my BB gun.

In the 90s when I found them online, I inquired about a new boiler glass (the big australian penny worked though) Jensen Steam sent out a box of parts to me, said "Take what you need and send us a check". Still fire it usually around Christmas. Thanks Dad.

Kan Kustom, belair, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  8. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

Pulled the engine from the chassis in preparation for some "slight modifications." The engine is now at a good home after trading for some needed Model A parts.

[​IMG]

I enlisted the help of my 10 year old daughter to disassemble the rear end/differential. She did better than a lot of grown men I know. Start them young!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We added a little bit of plasma and the axle tubes fell away nicely. This car will be chain drive to a live axle, so no need for axle tubes or differentials.

[​IMG]

After cutting the rear end apart and modifying, I mocked up my burners to get an idea of their potential BTU output. These burners are rated at 90,000 BTU each, but they are burning really rich.

[​IMG]
    I'll have to test and see how well they work. Soot + copper is a bad combination. I'd like to keep the copper as shiny as possible, even though most of it will be hidden in the fire box.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Be sure to get your "horn" signals right!!! LOL Gary

[​IMG]

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I love getting the kids involved! Isn't it great to help them learn about machines?

I am very curious about how this car will turn out. I am also fascinated with steam. Very cool! Please keep posting

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a wild build.
    We are all learning from your project.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    How cool is this.

12. What a breath of fresh air. Wish I lived closer, would love to be there on your maiden voyage.
    Great stuff, thanks for taking us along.

13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

This thread is :cool:!!!

14. keep it up! I dig it ! and yup, your shop is awesome

15. Kind of like a giant traditional on topic wolf whistle :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Interest piqued...
    Pretty dang cool!

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

In a way it's amazing that this thread is still around and a featured thread at that :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno, about as traditional as it gets. Something from almost nothing, or in reality a fairly ultimate use of cast off old power ideas. Hope it stays. At 1st I expected something more modern in scope for power but not so. What a fun mess you're making!

19. Transmission is there going to be one ? Or a two speed rear end ? Can't wait to see.... kinda steam punk ish ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I presume you've been to the railroad museum in Ely? My impression was there are several experts there on steam power. I met one of the volunteers there who had a steam powered boat.

21. Larry,every now & then a off topic thread gets a pass by the moderators,but remember a anvil thread will be deleted.:rolleyes:

That being said,it's cool. HRP

Blue One likes this.
  22. wafflemaster -- Obviously, you are CRAZY!

But then, aren't we all? :D

It's also obvious that this isn't your first rodeo. Power to you.

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. gatz

gatz

This must be taken seriously!
    A retired machinist that I knew had spent countless hours building a "steam car" of his own design.
    He made the 2 cylinders with the valves integrated into the flywheels.
    Also the entire chassis of welded steel tubing, etc. Very well done.
    But... even tho' the boiler was impressive in design and execution, (the flues were swedged into the boiler/firebox heads locomotive style) he had not gotten certs as it was being built, and had not sought out a certified welder for the welding of the headers to the boiler shell, leaving this to other co-workers.
    Later on, when it was finished, the state would not pass the boiler because of those issues. Needless to say he was heart-broken about the whole project. I do believe it took a toll on him.

48stude likes this.
  24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Just don't let Jay Leno see this,, he is a Steam Fanatic......

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. wafflemaster

wafflemaster
    from Reno, NV

This is great, I'll have to memorize these. I'm not sure about the whole "Torpedo explosion" thing at number 15 though haha!

26. Joe H

Joe H

Here are some photos of my late uncles 1911 Stanley Steamer. It was the only one of this body style built in 1911. I went though all the valves and pumps replacing seals and packing. Then went though the engine/motor, and finally through all the plumbing to get ready for a season of driving. He always claimed 1 hour of driving equals 4 hours of servicing!

This car used unleaded gasoline as fuel under 60PSI of pressure, run though the fire box to vaporize it. The steam pressure was 300PSI at all times.

Attached Files:

27. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

On the first page the owner says he says he like to have a car with a title when he goes to the DMV. If he follows his own advice, then he has a title and the DMV may want to check the VIN numbers if the title is from out of state. If so, he takes the chassis and body down to the DMV with out the engine. Once he has the title (and registration) in his name the DMV doesn't care if he puts a big block Chevy or some other engine in the car. If they did, our hobby would be in big trouble. So, if the DMV doesn't care and issues him a registration and plates, he is "good to go". The likelihood of being stopped by a cop are low and I doubt that a cop would go beyond checking his registration etc. Thus far he seems to be on "thin ice" but skating well enough. What does he tell the insurance company company to get insurance may be a problem. If he tells them that he has a Model "T" and doesn't tell them that it is steamed powered that may be a a case of "Insurance fraud" by omission. If he has a traffic accident or explosion, the insurance will probably balk at paying any damages or settlements. Also, there may be state or federal laws governing the licensing and operation of any and all steam engine operation. Jay Leno would probably know but I don't have a clue. I know that there are a fair number of Stanley Steamers etc. that are currently being operated on the roads, and they probably don't have "certs", so why not this car. In addition, there are steamed power scale trains that are built and operated that have enough power for adults to ride. Do they have "certs"? I don't know.
    I find this thread very interesting and hopefully it doesn't get deleted. However, I along with many of you, am concerned about the safety of this boiler design. I think I would have used tubing, fittings, and materials that could pass a 3000 psi hydrostatic test giving a larger margin of safety. All I can say at this point is good luck and Gods Speed.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Marcosmadness brought up another safety factor in was thinking about.
    In the case of a traffic accident, you have a pressurized boiler that could potentially turn a bad day into a final day...... I know you are limiting the exposed water volume which reduces explosion risk, but it's still a risk.

Also, is there an exhaust manifold on that engine?
    I'm not very knowledgeable about steam engines but the ones that are novice like me think of basically release the steam right at the piston (thinking train) clearly the steam needs vented away from your line of sight and you don't want a cloud forming while you are stopped

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. An anvil is not a car so I can see why it got deleted. This is a model a powered by steam. That is a traditional car. If it has 300 pounds of torque it should peel the tires off like a hotrod. Sure beats a gas cap thread. Just my own opinion. We all love old transportation
    And i think this is the kind of thread that would make the Hamb the top site for this "tradition" WE all love. Keep posting pictures waffle. Good luck I think it's awesome.

wheeldog57, mkebaird, lewk and 9 others like this.