Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical traditional look for your 302/351

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Mar 6, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I know technically the 302/351 doesn't fit in the "Traditional" category, but are some ways to give it that traditional look....other than throwing Cobra parts on it

2. Chrome rocker covers or cal custom finned units. Open element air cleaner. headers, tri-ys work for a '60s look. Generator or early alternator. V belts.

The 302 351 doesn't look that much different than the 260 or 289.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

4. Lets see you engine. HRP

5. topher5150

topher5150

Didn't the 289 have gold valve covers/black block?

6. Nope blue here's a stock one.

[​IMG]

Here's another stock one. I don't remember seeing one this color before

[​IMG]
    But yes I did find a gold and black one

[​IMG]

I suppose it matters what year and what it came in gold and black would suggest merc to me but that doesn't man much.

Come to think of it maybe Carrol painted some of the cobra motor gold and black.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. LOL that is how I found the pics that I posted. Most of them that I have seen over the years were blue.

Funny when someone says traditional I think hot rod or custom. I have been known to paint an engine stock looking when I don't have the cash to dress one up but I am still a big fan of dressed up motors. LOL

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Look at a lot of photos of stock and hopped up Y blocks! If the engine isn't going in a custom, consider OEM Ford, Merc or Lincoln block colors. Have fun, Gary

10. Some of the early 260/289 Fords had black blocks with gold valve covers.

I honestly believe some of the 390's also had the same color combination. HRP

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. VTjunk

VTjunk

Engine color depends on what year, as well as if it's Ford or Mercury. There were dress up items and intakes, etc almost immediately for these engines, so it shouldn't be hard to do.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll admit to being biased toward the little Chiverlay engine but in stock form the small block Ford engines are pretty bland, I know, one mans opinion right.
    On the other hand, when "dressed" they are quite handsome.
    A bit OT for some members here is the Boss 302 engine, I have been known to say I could "go over to the other team" for a hot rod with a Boss engine.

Deuce-Deano likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

427s were black too, although they didn't have gold valve covers. This should cause a shitstorm, my sb '65 falcon project car is very much inspired by a car that was across the street from my elementary school in 1968/69, the motor in it was bright orange...any guesses which way I am thinking of going? :eek::confused:

14. VTjunk

VTjunk

I was putting a 289 together for a guy, he wanted it orange. I did it, but it looked so odd to me I convinced him to change the color. Painted it red instead. Still looked awful lol

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I keep the hood shut on my '50 Ford.

belair likes this.
  16. topher5150

topher5150

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

See and raise...:eek::D
    dragonsnake.jpg

18. Funny thought I was in high school in the late '60s and literally in the area where I lived was painting their engines orange. It was just what everyone thought was kewl.

I have a tendency to paint my blocks black I don't really care what the engine is if it is going in my car it gets a black block.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

When I transplanted a later 351W into my 65 Mustang, I used the timing cover, water pump, and valve covers, and all the brackets from the 289. Most people could not spot the difference.

20. [​IMG]

If I remember correctly the Hi-Po 289's were painted up like this one ..............

MIKE STEWART, rod1 and MO_JUNK like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

But I'm full of shit at times too!
    That's really nice.

22. VTjunk

VTjunk

2896X2S.jpg
    Anyone ever seen one of these manifolds?

Phillips and mgtstumpy like this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] upload_2017-3-7_9-11-3.png

[​IMG]
    ....Original Man-A-Fre special order custom intake to fit a 289 / 302 Ford. Back in the day Man-A-Fre would build custom setups to order for customers with deep pockets. This intake looks like it started out as an Edelbrock crossram and uses 6 Rochester 2 barrel carbs and is meant to be run as a progressive setup. Notice that the outside carbs have a smaller bolt pattern (3 1/4" x 1 7/8") and bore size (1 3/8") than the center carbs would have (3 5/8" x 2" bolt pattern, 1 5/8" bore). This is so the engine idles off the larger center carbs and engages the outer carbs when given gas. The center carbs also sit 1/4" higher than the outside carbs. Along the outside of the manifold it looks like there are provisions for an afterburner to be installed (4 nozzles on each side). At the front of the passenger side bank there are mounting holes drilled/tapped where the Man-A-Fre tag would have been affixed. All of the water ports look good with minimal corrosion and threads look good too. The front, driver side intake bolt boss has been professionally repaired (common on small block Ford intakes). There is an 1/8" NPT hole above the driver side water port - not sure if this was to mount a bell crank or some sort of water takeoff....

This plate appears to be the one missing from this manifold
    upload_2017-3-7_9-14-38.png

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/help-need-info-on-man-a-fre-intake.929046/
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-289...=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&rmvSB=true

6x2 Man-a-Fre
    [​IMG]
    4x2 Man-a-Fre (Dickster here on the HAMB had this one for sale)

BradinNC, belair and falcongeorge like this.
  24. topher5150

topher5150

I'd hate to have to dial in that many carbs

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, same around here mid-late sixties.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Here is what I done to the 351 in my sunliner. 100_6884.JPG

wutnxt and MO_JUNK like this.
  27. mike bowling

mike bowling

302 with Y block covers and soon the old home made 2 carb intake is going back on DSCN2385.JPG DSCN2686.JPG

MO_JUNK likes this.
  28. Not that it's important but I have some items to add to this thread. My 62 Galaxie 390 had gold valve covers from new. My 64 Fairlane sport coupe with a hipo 289 had gold valve covers also. As I remember the blocks on both were black. I didn't own anything with blue until 1967 when my GTA Mustang had blue with the chrome dress up kit on it.

29. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I think the engines were black with gold valve covers and air cleaners up to and including 1965.
    From '66 on they were blue.
    The 352 in my original Country Squire is black with gold.
    Let's see more pictures and ideas.
    Also, I thought there was an older thread on "traditional" Ford engines but I can't seem
    to find it.

30. finn

finn

My 65 225 hp 4 barrel Mustang had a black block and gold valve covers.

My dad's 65 Galaxie 500 2 barrel 289 was all blue.