Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winters V8 Quick change fluid level

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick01psd, Mar 6, 2017.

1. nick01psd

nick01psd

I was wondering if anyone knows how many quarts it takes to fill the V8 winters quick change rear (closed system with stock bells) 1-3/4 below axle line? The reason I ask is, they just have a fill and a drain in the main case with just a full and inspection for the rear QC case... yes I should have drilled and tapped a fluid level plug in the side bell.. thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

On the old V8 rears I went by their diagram on the tag attached to the yoke and drilled and installed a plug in the steel bell on the right side. On their latest style V8 center there is a fill plug located on the right side on the rear of the housing. Be sure to vent the rear.

4. nick01psd

nick01psd

I got it used, so I didn't get any tags or anything... it does have a large fill plug on the QC rear section, but it's (kinda) sealed off from the main gear ring and pinion...

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

They call the large plug an inspection plug, but it can be used to fill the spur gears. On one like you have I had a plug in the top of the case and I filled it thru there. You better check but if memory serves me right to took 2 quarts.

6. nick01psd

nick01psd

Yeah I have the plug on the top, and a drain... I just don't wanna remove and disassemble just to drill a hole in the axle tube for fluid level, ya know....

7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

If it helps, we always made sure the lower pinion shaft was just covered. Any more and it just got vented out anyway. Never burned up a quickchange.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What type of gear oil should be used in the Winters V8 quick changes with the wedge lock differential ?

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Nick, et-al -

You know that they have this info (and a lot more) on their website don't you ?
    They have a lot of different styles of case arrangements / fill volumes. I think it's more of a measurement. See their website for the best, most accurate info..!

Mike

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

not that it helps you but as jaw22w said, you don't need a real lot of oil. my winters midget rear had a large diameter plug on the right side just below the centerline of the axle. I would fill it until I could just barely reach the tip of my finger into the oil level from that hole...

very scientific I know lol

[​IMG]

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

It has been a while but I used 2 qts which filled above the lower shaft.

IMG_0027.jpg cuwd.jpg

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Nick, et-al (I like that)
    The proper level is right at the center line of the QC gears. That is correct no matter the volume of your particular combination. I think from your description you have the side plug in the change gear cavity. That should give you the visual you need.
    You can fill both sections from either compartment. Even if the lower shaft bearing is sealed (which it probably isn't) fluid will transfer from one to the other. What I do, is put two quarts in the main cavity with the plug out of the change gear housing. If there is no fluid at the sight plug in about 20 minutes you can add another 1/2 qt. or so. When it runs out of the hole, stop. Put a pan under to catch the extra and then cap it off. If you kept track of how much you used, you will never have to ask again.;)

As far as the type of fluid, I have run old style 80W90 for years. If you have a differential with clutches you want Positraction additive. I believe that the synthetics are better in every case, but I would go with what ever the manufacturer recommends. I have not had the time to study differences in gear lube.

Bruce

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So Bruce for the Winters wedge lock that I have in my new nostalgia QC, is that considered a "posi " unit requiring special additive ?
    Or will regular 80W90 work ?
    Larry.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Mobil 1 synthetic 80/90W

15. Blake 27

Blake 27

From Winters. winters002-001.jpg

16. nick01psd

nick01psd

Thanks Bruce!! Yeah I added 2 1/2 quarts in the main case and left the inspection plug out till it drained out and stopped.. just takes a few beers waiting for it! Lol thanks again!!

17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The old 'drink beer until the fluid comes out' method.
    Works for me

Larry,
    There are no clutches in the wedge lock. No additive needed.
    Mobil 1 Synthetic is fine.

Blue One likes this.
  18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I have a related question. Never had a quick change before. A friend just told me that I should be venting my new (2015) Winters out of the side bell; not the top of the center section (like I have it). I seem to be getting conflicting information online. The FAQ page from Winters, as posted above by Blake 27, shows the vent tube coming out of the top of the center section. Do you think I'm going to be OK doing it that way?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  19. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Also, while I'm at it, these units just need to vent to atmosphere at a level higher than the rear end... right? No need for one-way check valves or breather cans w/vented caps; just a bit of tubing or other simpleton method. Now he's got me worried.

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Bill,
    No need to worry. The newest thinking is that you don't want to vent directly above the ring gear as it will sling gear lube into the vent tube and as pressure builds up it will force the grease out the tube. A lot of rears have been vented this way over the years with no problems. What works best for me, is to run a hose up from that port to an open can. Put some air cleaner type foam in it to act as a filter. When you change gears, you just pull out the foam and dump the gear lube back in.

I have also just vented the axle tube. Not much if any lube there. You just want to alleviate the pressure. A side bell vent also works fine.

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

When racing the heat and oil gets much more frothed. That is why you see big vents on race cars.