Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 Chevrolet 5 Passenger Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazyolman, May 31, 2014.

1. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

tb33anda3rd and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  2. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

As mentioned previously the body on this car is formed over a wooden frame with the sheet metal nailed in place over that. Grandma was worried about Travis driving around in a car with a wood frame so just to be safe we are putting a roll bar in the car. We are using a 4 point bar that goes over the rear windows and then down to the back of the frame. It would have been better if I had made another bend in the upright bar so it could clear the seats better but I had it bent so it comes straight up from the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

biggeorge likes this.
  3. Congrats on the first ride. It's come a long way!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  4. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I didn't want to bore everyone with the details of welding in patch panels, priming, blocking etc. but we finally reached the point where the finish coat could be applied. It is "hot rod" black enamel as all hot rods are black, some are shiny.

5. Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  6. Leakie

Leakie

Looks great, nice job!

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

That is so cool, and the patience of both of you guys is awesome. I have a 401 nailhead in my avatar picture. Looks like you used a bendstens adaptor?

8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Just read your thread and all I can say is Bravo! Great job Travis! And Grampa too.
    Taking the time to coach the young'n thru it all will be priceless as he goes forward in life.
    Looks like Travis grew a little in 4 years. Great Job Again.

Bowtie Coupe and biggeorge like this.
  9. Nice looking ride! You've done an awesome job.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  10. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Thanks for all the kind words, Travis is a great young man and a pleasure to work with. I'm not sure what brand the adapter is but I got it from Nailhead Russ who knows all about these engines.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Congrats! ...From a Calif. Grandpa with some grandsons, only one of them so far interested in real hot rods.

A great thread, easy to follow, lots of great pics, culminating in a good looking young man with a good looking young Chevy 5 passenger Coupe!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  12. Król

Król

Very nice! Congratulations on a job well done!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

IMG_1760 2.jpg Thanks again for taking the time to comment on our project.
    We have finished the paint work and it looks nice in "Hot Rod Black". After taking it to Tahoma Glass to have the windows installed, and a few other details, we were able to take it to our first car show.

Travis drove the car from Federal Way to Orting which is about 25 miles each way to attend the fathers day car show put on by the Kingsmen car club.
    He told his mom "this was the best day of my life" so I think it went well.

rjones35, TFoch, Bowtie Coupe and 8 others like this.
  14. 55Belairman

55Belairman

You are a wonderful Grandpa, Crazy. I never did a car with my Grandpa, but we did plenty of roofing and painting. He taught me a lot of life skills. I had a great father too, but most of my hand skills came from Grandpa. He gave me a bunch of his tools when he was 93, and didn't think he would be needing them anymore. That's a great looking hotrod. Well done.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  15. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Thanks, I think it helps a lot to be able to work with someone older to pick up some skills you wouldn't have otherwise.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  16. biscaynes

biscaynes

wow, just found and read through this build...congrats to you both, turned out very nice!

17. sololobo

sololobo

what a smoking build. Congrats on having a grandson to help and spend quality time with, starting them young helps insure our sport to carry on. This body style is one of the coolest ever, love the Nailhead mill. Congrats guys!!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. Very cool he got to drive the car to and from the show! The reward after all the hard work. Car looks great, you both should be proud!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  19. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Thanks for the comments, we are proud of what we have done so far and look forward to learning how to sew up the interior. We will start with the kick panels and then the door and side panels before tackling the seats, then the last thing will be the headliner.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. Great build and story. Nice young man and obviously a great granddad

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Congrats to you both! Great job Granddad!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  22. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Thanks for reading & commenting.

23. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

31 Chevrolet 229.JPG 31 Chevrolet 230.JPG We finished the upholstery and it looks much better than the bare metal etc. but is far from a professional job. we like it and can redo it later if it starts to bother us. Bucky's muffler shop made up some tailpipes for us and we finished a few small jobs then the car was ready for Travis to take it home. It has been a good project and he will continue to drive it over on Thursday after school so we can do a little at a time on it.

Attached Files: