Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Ford Truck grille ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody&Lauren Mohr, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

Hello everyone, it's been a while since we had a HAMB-friendly vehicle, but it looks like we will be picking up a 1946 Ford Truck in about a week. All in all decent shape, but needs some finishing. One big thing is the grille. Looks like the jailbars were cut out at some points. So I either need to replace that front nose piece so I can get the chrome grille bars, or I need to figure out something else for the front end. Had anyone seen any custom grilles or grille swaps that actually look good on these trucks? Or have that front piece laying around back somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That is a tough row to how. I always thought the Jailbar Fords had a mug that only a mother could love tolerate.

As far as a grill idea, there is a thread on the HAMB, that shows a person grafting '46 / '47 Ford car front clip on, and it turned out pretty damn cool, not an easy job but the end result was awesome. My quick search come up empty, but maybe you or someone else will have better luck.

Good luck with the project and post pics as you go. I think a bunch of us would be curious to see how it turns out.

3. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

I've felt the same way. Not the ugliest from Ford, but dang near close. My wife has particular attachment to this body style from her childhood. I'm trying to figure out how to tweak it just enough to look like Ford might have done it from the factory.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  4. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

5. I'd find an original jail-bar front cap if it was mine.

need louvers ? likes this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Put the original back in. just my 2 cents. DSC02972.JPG This is my Jailbar. DSC02968.JPG

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I happen to love these dumb things for just being a shade "ugly"... I have yet to see one modified that looked better than stock. Have you considered maybe looking for a Canadian Mercury nose for yours?

8. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have a complete canadian merc grille setup ready to go. Pm if ya want details.
    Also have a ford panel ready too

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

For reference, a Merc nose.... Also, we have a good buy and sell group for these trucks going on facebook, 1942-1947 Ford Trucks aka Jail bars.

mercury jail bar.jpg

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I like the bumper brackets myself, Bailing wire!:)

12. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

I recently did see the Merc nose, I think they look nice. If I could afford one, I might go that route.

13. topher5150

topher5150

Cody&Lauren Mohr likes this.
  14. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

That's funny. I actually saw that one, but thought it was a Mercury truck. Now I see the differences. I like the headlight placement better being farther out. I just might go that route if I find one cheap.

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd put a 40-41 front end on it

16. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

Would that '40-'41 front end fit? Obviously not bolt on, but would it fit? Anyone ever done it?

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

40 or 41 truck is bolt on and go same cab other later has tank under the seat and not at pinto location . Don't say a thing , I have a 32 with the pinto factor and drive it often .

Cody&Lauren Mohr likes this.
  18. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

That might be perfect! My wife really wanted a '40, but they are so hard to find for cheap. And I know they make reproduction sheet metal for those. My fuel tank will be under the bed.

19. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

zzford likes this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately, while a '40-'41 nose will physically bolt up to the cab of your truck, the frame rails and parallel leaf springs won't let that '40-'41 nose sit on the frame. Not a simple bolt together. How about showing a picture of what you have?

21. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

I just read about the track width. And I posted a picture on page #1 of the front grille. It's the yellow truck. I don't avidly pick it up until Sunday.

22. Cody&Lauren Mohr

Cody&Lauren Mohr

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It's sitting on a modified '75 F100 frame with Twin I-Beams, Power disc brakes, Power Steering, mildly built 390, C6

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  23. ...I think Ford got it rite...
    46 ford pu 005.jpg

24. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Umpgh, sorry I just threw up in my mouth a bit when I saw that. [​IMG]

Seriously, leave it stock, or if you really want to go custom, go with the Merc grille.

zzford likes this.
  25. jazz1

jazz1

The jail bars were straightened out and polished. This truck was a 20 year project completed about 5 years ago

2013-05-16142954_zps96f65f33.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  26. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

[​IMG]
    this is my version...i know...not the greatest....it was supposed to be temporary but ghas been there 10 years si guess
    it is part of the furniture now.....
    planning a complete makover in the near future and the grille will be replicated but a better job and chromed and
    also plan on cutting and extending the cab by 4 inches for a bit more leg room

Kan Kustom likes this.
  27. pkhammer

pkhammer

I thought many times about going with a '40-'41 front on my '42, they are pretty trucks! The stock '42 eventually grew on me however and I found some NOS jail bars to replace my bad ones so that helped. I hear the repops don't fit very well. I'd think seriously about the '40-'41 sheetmetal if I were you.

28. old school rodder

old school rodder

I do a lot of 46-47 trucks. I use the steel replacement grill bars, not the tchrome so I can paint them, take 1 out of each section and then respacing the bars. The section that had 3 bars, now has 2, and so on. I think it looks much better, the original grill was just too packed in. My way to keep as much original as possible, but improved. One man's effort.

29. I had heard that the front end swap was possible, and I like it. I always preferred the horizontal grille as opposed to the vertical bars.
    Bob

topher5150 likes this.