Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Road Trips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadTech, Mar 5, 2017.

1. CadTech

CadTech

i'm curious as to how far each of you have driven your cars on trips. I recently ditched my Model A project and picked up a 1937 Ford pickup that is chopped and channeled and i've been in the process of making it more road worthy in hopes to drive it 2 hours from my house in west Houston to Austin for the Lonestar Roundup next month. With that said, tell me about your road trips. Specifically what you have done to prepare your car/truck, things you wish you knew before setting out on a long highway trip, things you wish you had brought with you, or issues you've encountered.

Things I've done since purchasing 2 weeks ago.

- new master cylinder sized for 4 corner drums
    - new slim electric fan
    - new radiator brackets to move further away from axle
    - ordered (not installed yet) complete set of autometer gauges and senders

Thanks in advance!

pic for attention
    (IBohmygoshtierodinfront)
    1937.jpg

rjones35 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Get a proportioning valve and a NiCad battery jumper pack. They are the size of an old VHS cassette, but can do like a dozen jump offs before a recharge. Don't ask me how I know! Love the truck. I'd drive a hell of a lot more of the roads in SoCal weren't so mother freakin awful. It's third world conditions here, man!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rjones35 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I've put a lot of miles on my old stuff, but they are a bit more modern than that! Never needed a jump pack. I haven't really encountered any surprises about traveling, it's just like any other drive, but it keeps on going and going and going (especially that trip to NYC a year ago).

4. CadTech

CadTech

good idea with the jump box! and thanks for the kind words.

5. CadTech

CadTech

it's "slightly" impractical, however besides some slight bump steer from the not so perfect steering geometry, it rides pretty nice. it even has a vintage air/heat set up! hopefully soon i can get the glass cut for the doors, but everything fits nice and tight, doors are gasketed, etc.

6. Fordors

Fordors

I live 35 miles SW of Chicago and I've had my cars to Oklahoma City twice, Memphis, Columbus, OH, the Twin Cities, Indy, Kalamazoo and probably others that I forgot about. The channeled coupe was built by me, and then later I bought a Fordor '32 that served us well with my sons going to events with us rather than staying home with their grandparents. To me the road trip was more fun than actually getting to the National event. I'd get to the fairgrounds and there would be thousands of cars there, maybe look at a couple hundred and I was finished. The vendors and swap meet was more of a draw for me than the cars. As events (NSRA) changed to allow post '48 cars that ended it for me.
    Call me a hot rod snob or whatever you want, I grew up driving muscle cars, but never mixed my modified cars with my daily drivers. I have many likes in pre '49 hot rods but personally I have always preferred '32's and in particular cars that can be and are driven long distances.
    There used to be a rod shop in the area that hosted BS sessions on Saturday mornings. Local guy was asked by the owner why he never came around with his '32 hiboy. The reason? It wouldn't make it up the inclined driveway to get in the parking lot, too low. OK, park it on the street. Oh, I don't drive it on the street. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Both of my cars have been sitting for too long, the Fordor will be back on the street this year.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's no way to explain the "why" of a road trip (and you didn't ask) in vintage iron, you'll just have to do it. 2 hours is a shakedown cruise, though better than sitting in the garage. It ain't always Skittles & Rainbows, but it will teach you a lot, about yourself and others. Happy Motoring!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    jim snow and wraymen like this.
  8. Two hours you say? Oh, you're gonna need 5 cup holders.

120mm, Jet96, da34guy and 5 others like this.
  9. phat rat

phat rat

I'm with Squirrel on this. Longest trip to date was 8000 mi in 4 weeks. Home to Sacramento next stop Tampa and then home. No problems at all.

upfberg and Woogeroo like this.
  10. edfueler

edfueler

I drive my A model RPU some decent distances to do dirt drags and paddock bashes etc. I take a full tool kit, spare switches, wire, bailing wire, strap metal, oil water, fuel, jumper leads, head gasket, tarpaulin, tent camp stove. I've also taken spare dizzy, carb and fuel pump. Haha.[​IMG]

Truck64, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  11. I drove slightly over 600 miles in my Deuce pickup in one long day and I was a hurting frog,I did get out a stretch a lot but I could easily drive 2 hours.

[​IMG]

3 years ago I drove the Ranch Wagon 650 miles straight through but there is plenty of leg room and the wagon is considerably more comfortable. HRP

[​IMG]

2002p51, Stogy, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might want to figure this out and fix. some swear by having an emergency roadside service membership card in case need of flatbed towing required - worked for me a couple of times for me due to tire failure (something in road cut tire & inside tire casing came apart) while traveling in Hot Rod - not having a spare, and no place close by to get a proper replacement, flatbed service worked good

Stogy and MUNDSTER like this.
  13. A couple things. For me to long distance in that I'd probably need an ice pack and a TENS unit for the crink in my neck/back.

Basic Murphy's Law. If you're prepared for it to happen- it won't. Whatever spares you carry won't be what you require. Still not sure if that means carry everything so nothing fails or carry nothing but---- 2 hours shouldn't be anything stressful. Have fun.

Stogy and hotrodharry2 like this.
  14. The longest trip I ever took in my truck was the 900 mile drive from my home in Washington state to Sacramento California. I made sure I had spares of everything,including engine oil. Although I did fail to realize how saddle sore I'd be.

Stogy and Corvette Fever like this.
  15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I've been doing it for 25 years now. These days I enjoy the time on the road more than the events. A group of us did Bonneville and back in 2002. That was two weeks on the road with some good friends and my longest trip. My brother and I went to the Roundup last year(over 900 miles round trip) in my pickup in my avatar. Drive it.

Stogy likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Farthest I have driven my fresh built 32 sedan was last fall from Rapid City area to the Goodguys Colorado, 400 miles. No problems, but I do carry a small scissor jack from a vw rabbit, sockets,wrenchs, screwdrivers, quart of oil and some tie wire.

Stogy likes this.
  17. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

2 hours is a shake down ride. I take a small tool kit with basic tools. Rain-X the windshield if its prone to rain. Check all fluids and air in the tires. I try no to buy gas at po-dunk gas stations.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Built a model A coupe about 20 years ago. Finished the build at noon and by 3:00 the wife and I had a small trailer behind it and we left on a 7000 mile journey from Winnipeg through a number of states and provinces ending in California...and then back home over 5 1/2 weeks. We met some great people along the way (still friends to this day).

I spent the first couple thousand miles checking, tightening, adjusting and sourcing every squeak, rattle and clunk all the while not taking my eye off the road or gauges. After the first couple thousand miles were behind us, the car was pretty much sorted out.

Oh yeah, in the trailer behind the coupe, I had a pretty good selection of tools, jack, wood blocks and spares.

Along the way I needed to borrow a welder to weld up a cracked alternator bracket, a lathe to turn a bushing for the alternator bracket and few other minor items. All the source of great experiences and stories. Enjoy your ride.

19. RR

RR

I have done Drag Week a couple of times in my 1965 Chevy truck- a little newer than yours. Just checked the fluids and ran it. I did take a few spare parts, tools and a jump box but did not need them at all. Plan on driving a couple of hundred miles to a cruise in early May. I may not take anything this time.

When Squirrel says he hasn't encountered any problems- didn't he rebuild his blower on the side of the road on DW a few years ago? :)

Stogy likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

That wasn't a problem, really...a friend had the number of a great guy who dropped everything to help me out. But that's also not a typical hot rod road trip, it happened while I was on Drag Week...not the longer drives to/from DW, in the same car.

I tell you what, the highways of the US sure don't have enough old cars on them. Get it out and drive it!

21. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Longest drive so far for me has been from IL to NJ. Didn't bring anything...I just made sure all my hotel stops were close to parts stores in case I needed anything :)

Stogy and squirrel like this.
  22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

We drove my '46 "Woodie" from Long Island, NY to San Diego, CA, for a "Woodie" show called Wavecrest. 8000 miles round trip, and has 48K miles on the odometer. My Deuce roadster has 55K on the odo and has been as far out as the Nat's in Oklahoma City. I built both cars and know every nut and bolt so I am a firm believer in driving my cars. If you trailer your car you are going to miss a lot!

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Somewhere waaaay out in the boonies out West on the Blue highways a few years back I needed fuel one early morning. Really small sketchy looking place. Closed up. So I'm pumpin' fuel, and sort of looking around, and then notice a hand written sign in the window "Our card reader is down, please write the card # down and slide it under the door."

Jet96 likes this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Drove this over 1,000 miles in a weekend . Got 20 mpg . H.O. 5.0 ,with AOD and 4.11 gears run 80mph on the interstate. Fl. to Tn and back. Carried a small tool bag and a can of tire slime and a 12 volt compressor. Didn't need any of it. DSCF0954.JPG

25. I love road trippin in my hot rod. I've made several trips from Omaha to the west coast by way of Bonneville and Joplin, Mo. I was out on the salt with Sam [Mojunk] in '02 with my 41 Pontiac, then to Joplin for the HAMB drags and back home.
    I made several trips to the west coast in my 50 delivery, stopping at Bonneville. It's 1750 miles from my house to my Brother's house in Oregon, going through Winnemucka and across state hiway 141....nothing at all for 187 miles of sage brush. I packed a can of fix-a-flat, bag of tools, rainex and a 5 gallon can of high-test. Oh, and lot of snacks and a cooler full of soda............and of course my pistola and some ammo to shoot cans in the desert.
    No A/c, no tunes, no passengers and no cell reception...just 406 cubic inches of music through the glasspacs.
    bvillesaltbobkandlurkermick.jpg bvilleroadshot.jpg RockysDelivery.jpg

Stogy, Mtn Goat, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  26. cac646

cac646

Farthest we've gone is 1000 miles one direction. That's with the wife, 6 year old and 90 lb golden retriever. I must say that San Francisco sucks in a heavy car with a big cam and a manual trans!!

Stogy likes this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You need to practice. Start with short "out n backs" as aviators sometimes call them, increasing them in range as you find the time and / or your car proves ever and ever more reliable. 100 miles is the max for a freebie AAA card roll back ride, so keep the first few banzai runs below that - and your membership updated! I like to do day trips but not just to car shows - like auto, ship and air museums, to see friends, scenic drives or man made attractions / amusements, etc.. There's plenty to do if you need an excuse for a little trip - even a good place to eat. And don't make it a chore - don't start out too early, enjoy your destination for more than 30 minutes, and drive back with a smile on your face. Gary

Stogy and hotrodharry2 like this.
  28. CBurne7

CBurne7

Not as old as some of the cars on here, but my wife and I drove our '63 Fairlane (289/NON-OD toploader) from Baltimore to Maine and back. The only issue we had was with the generator and battery, but I brought an extra generator and replaced the battery no problem. We took some detours in NH as well. I took my 35mm film camera with me to document it. Road trips look better in film!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, Mtn Goat, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  29. When I had my A Roadster all I could take was about an hour at a time. Pretty cramped quarters. It was fun though. Sold it in July 2015. P1190149.JPG P1190153.JPG P1200287.JPG

Mtn Goat and mgtstumpy like this.
  30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I took my Shoebox Ford to the cabin one weekend last summer. About 250 miles round trip. That was the first time I had it out of our county. Took oil, atf, basic tools. Nothing like the road in northern Michigan in an old car.
    Swamp 3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Stogy, Mtn Goat, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.