Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

It looks like there's a triangular loop behind the driver's seat that's barely visible.

2. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

There's a triangular roll bar loop behind the driver's seat that's barely visible.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

The more I look at it you might be right. The big ding in the roof looks like the shape of a triangle roll bar.

loudbang likes this.
  4. You are probably right Marty. I never saw under the hood. I just knew it wasn't a Hemi. The resurrected body ran a longer wheelbase chassis. I'm sure it probably handled better, but the original looked better.

loudbang likes this.
  5. rooman

rooman

Good call. I did not blow the photo up large enough--it kind of looked like a 65 Galaxie with a vinyl top at the size I had it. Looked at it this morning on the 32" monitor at the shop and you are totally correct--Thanks.

Roo

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  6. rooman

rooman

You can see the inboard leg and the seat support/ shoulder harness mount cross bar and what looks to be the outboard leg of an old style single bend roll bar.

Roo

7. rooman

rooman

This is the original version of Batto's car (from a Pennzoil ad)
    [​IMG]

And this is Ronnie Lennon with the later version from Sears Point in 2005 (thanks to Jason Ellis and WDIFL)
    [​IMG]

Roo

8. rooman

rooman

I agree with you that it is not the Batto car. It is a close copy but the rear wheels are further forward, the hood latches are different, and Batto's car appears to have always raced as #225.

Roo

9. rooman

rooman

I did some checking and it is Bob Downey in the seat in this shot.

Roo

10. rooman

rooman

I rationalized that this may have been Merek Cherktow in an earlier post but I found an original posting of the photo (with no photo credit) and it is Leroy Goldstein at the 69 Winternationals. Every other photo of him that I found had him in a plain white helmet.

Roo

stillrunners likes this.
  11. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roo ,and Dean,I would like to take this time to say I am sorry for dragging you both into a personal beef I have with another member.To say that I have a very high regard for you both is an understatement.You both have talked the talk,And walked the walk.My concern is directed to the state of the Hamb.We have lost too many great members here,due to overzealous criticism of a few.You will not find anyone more passionate than I on the history of Hot rodding.I have lived it my whole life.Thank you both for your insight....

wbrw32 likes this.
  12. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

For the sake of keeping history correct - Swamp Rat VI-IA was all red for a short time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  13. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

May 1964 DRAG RACING magazine. Like I posted was a "short time" but was built red, then off to California, two races then was re-painted while in California and became the all black WYNN"S JAMMER". 1-rsr-1.jpg

14. A couple of pages back Dave Downs posted a link to some of his pics from the '61 Nationals at Indianapolis. I took the liberty of doing a little quick'n'dirty editing to give them a bit more detail. And of course, credit where credit is due. ;) Thanks, Dave!

61Natls005.jpg 61Natls006.jpg 61Natls007.jpg 61Natls008.jpg 61Natls010.jpg 61Natls011.jpg

15. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Thanks 'ClayMart' !!!

I had turned 19 the week before and was carrying a borrowed Kodak camera.

61Cruiser, kiwijeff, tommyd and 2 others like this.
  16. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Also - in October of 1964, the original pictures, wrapped with a rubber band, traveled from SE Pennsylvania to Fort Jackson, South Carolina in the glove box of my '58 Chevy.

kiwijeff, tommyd and loudbang like this.
  17. Dave, I'm assuming this is one of the several Frye Brothers dual Buicks?
    Anybody know the story behind these guys and their devotion to Nailheads? Very interesting.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Gary - I didn't know much about the history of the cars I took pictures of - all I knew was that I was at a gathering of the most fantastic bunch of drag cars to be seen in one place on Labor Day weekend of 1961.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  19. rooman

rooman

Gary, here is a color shot of the Frye car that ttwomotor posted here last year. He has more here: http://twotogo.homestead.com/TwoToGopage3Untitled1.html
    Looks like it was taken at the same event judging by the 61 T'bird in the background.
    [​IMG]

Roo

kiwijeff, Gabe Fernando and Dean Lowe like this.
  20. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary, the thing to remember is that "back in the day", not many of the different engines or engine combinations had much of an advantage over other engines or engine combinations when they were running gasoline. Dragsters racing in NHRA events between 1959 and 1963 were mostly gas dragsters (the NHRA fuel ban). Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chevy, Chrysler, etc. all seemed to have similar performance on gas. It was only with the fuel dragsters that the hemi had the major advantages. Once the gas dragsters disappeared from NHRA competition, all dragsters pretty much became "hemi powered"...

loudbang likes this.
  21. Well.....sort of George. Top Gas was around until 1971 (?), almost all gas cars were hemi or Chevy powered. I know that almost everything was used in the 50's and early 60's. There was a Packard powered altered at Woodburn in the mid 60's! The Frye Brothers were DEVOTED to the twin Buick thing for years, I wonder why? Did the have contacts at Buick, or a dealership? just REALLY dug Buicks? Ivo, Prudhomme and Nancy also ran Buicks in the early 60's, but they replaced them with Chryslers pretty quickly. Just wondered if there was some specific reason they went Buick for so many years.

22. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Think this is the first Frye Bros. Twin. 9-4-19-7-1.jpg

23. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Later Frye Bros. 9-4-19-11-1o.jpg

kiwijeff, loudbang, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  24. It's the unfurling green at the Saugus, CA, drags on January 11, 1953. The track wasn't NHRA-sanctioned, and the whole scene is pretty rudimentary.
    [​IMG]

25. San Gabriel, 1960: Chris Karamesines (L) takes on Kenny Safford in a Top Fuel match race at the old San Gabriel Dragway just west of Los Angeles.
    [​IMG]