Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flex radiator hoses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I might have to consider one on my car.
    <<<<< it's got a Chrysler hemi so it would have been A good candidate for one!

2. 3340

Using flex hoses was taboo in the group I ran in, just saying

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

What gay group do you hang out with? Just saying!

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

:D

falcongeorge and gimpyshotrods like this.
  5. Gman0046

Gman0046

To be honest with y'all back in the day I really didn't care too much how things looked. I was more interested in performance then how things looked. If it worked it was OK. Attached is the engine on my 63 Impala w/o ribs. DSC_0778.JPG

6. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Ha! ha! put on on my truck just to piss off my pro-street buddy.....it worked.

falcongeorge, mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  7. A hose for any configuration . TUBANO.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. swifty

swifty

That's a different situation Gman. That is a standard engine in a standard car so you can still buy the factory hose to suit. I think the OP was referring to cars with engine swaps and hot rods also.
    Re the example that HRP posted I'd like to see a non-crinkle hose to suit that application. I had the same problem with my 1962 T-bucket and used the crinkle hose. I don't like it but it looks heaps better than lots of joins and worm drive clamps.

Hudson31 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't like them and will look for something else. I've welded some crazy looking tubes out of exhaust elbows with nice results but use what you want.

chriseakin and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. My ribbed hoses are made by Dayco, local speed shop has a great assortment. Great for engine swaps, just scribble down the length and go get one.

Montana1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Well when the Chevy V8 came out in the 55's a perfect fit hose was born.

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I remember short pieces of hose connecting metal tubes in customs, but the hot rods were more interested in getting on the road so ribbed hoses were the norm.

13. theamcguy

theamcguy

Back in the day everybody used them. Molded hoses were too hard to find.

14. oj

oj

I just copy how the flatties were plumbed, I cut a couple bends and use stainless tube to couple them. This isn't the best example but you get the idea. DSC00618.JPG

117harv, '51 Norm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I go for convenience, I fab up a SS metal tube of appropriate size with each end connecting to the motor/radiator with a short straight piece of industrial hose.

Makes it real simple, always available at any Napa.

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The answers to the OP's original questions are yes and yes.

I prefer them in most swaps.

20170304_071408.jpg

DeLuxe 32, Montana1, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  17. Speaking of "when the Chevy V8 came out in 55"........
    Dropping a totally non-stock engine in pretty much made the flex vs smooth (stock looking) question a non-argument.
    I'm sure that back in the old days, if a smooth radiator hose could be found in less than 15 minutes, that got used.
    But if it took more effort that that, then "Put one of them flex hoses in my bag with the oil cans, please".
    Both were used so maybe the question should be.... Are you a ribbed stuffed shirt or a smoothly formed stuffed shirt?

Enjoy building your ride your way and don't let anyone steal your joy.

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I figured I'd reply to the original question since so many ignored it. Back in the day, about the only place to get molded hoses was from the dealers and their weren't many options. Radiators and engine outlets were often designed to use straight hoses. Auto manufacturers held patents and hose manufacturers made products for them. There wasn't a big aftermarket demand for them. Factory hoses lasted for 5 or 6 years so even when more formed hoses were being used, there wasn't much demand. Hose manufacturers could make flex hoses without violating patents and cover many vehicles with a small inventory.

Same thing with exhaust parts. The factory exhaust often lasted longer than the car and was usually small diameter. Stainless pipe was unheard of. It was 1971 when the first muffler shop with a bender opened around here and we had them bend exhaust pipe to make tubes that you could use a short piece of straight hose on each end.

In the 50s when guys were swapping engines, flex hoses were often the only option.

19. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like a giant "burnt" french fry? :eek:

Yes, use one. Looking through my old rod magazines, when there's an engine swap involved I see them used quite a bit.

Pics posted on this thread show engines with finned valve covers. Flex hoses have fins on 'em too. Coincidence?

'51 Norm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

But was that Mercury Villager hose available in 1960?

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Back in the day they were used on EVERYTHING. From reading hot rod and custom car magazines in the early sixties, I thought they were some special part that was a must for a hot rod or custom because they all had them. I never saw them on an ordinary car, but all the magazine cars had them.

22. Allstar radiator hoses (made for stock cars) are also ribbed and made for abuse. I wasn't sure on length so never ordered one online in case it had to go back. But now I know the length, so they're back on the table.

23. 5window

5window

Well, if you don't like rubber flex,you sure won't lie Cool-Flex. But, here's a copy of a post I put up on another thread in 2008!
    "I use them on my 350 Model A. I had this really tight,double turn and twist connection on my lower hose that was obviously originally cut out of something larger. I tried the braid-covered rubber from Speedway-no dice. And I spent HOURS staring at hoses hanging from the ceiling of every NAPA and other parts store I could drive to. Finally picked up a Cool-Flex hose at the York NSRA show-rather nervously considering the price-and it took me all of 5 minutes to get a perfect match and fit. Worth the money for sure. I opted to use just the rubber connectors and clamps, not the fancy chrome covers since my rod is a bit more traditional. Looks fine to me."

So, 9 years later and I have still never found a better substitute. If you don't like these hoses, ok by me. I can tell you:
    A: I've enjoyed driving the car in all that time
    B: I'd be happy to have you look for a matching rubber hose all you 'd like and send me the results.
    C:. My car

24. Yep, that's the way I recall it. If an cross-make engine swap was involved, that's almost all you saw. The really anal guys with 'detailed' compartments would use chrome pipe and two short pieces of straight hose, but most used the ribbed 'universal' hoses. The downside to ribbed hoses is they would tear after being in service if removed/reinstalled; the wire coil would split the outer covering, and this could be a problem even in use if the hose was installed under a 'strain'. The ribbed hoses were always much cheaper than a molded-curve hose too. It wasn't until the mid-late sixties that molded-curve hoses started being more commonly available because at that point the universal ribbed hoses wouldn't fit properly on many late-model cars without rubbing on 'stuff' and the aftermarket vendors had to carry molded-curve hoses to service the market. If you went into a gas station in the fifties, almost all you'd see hanging up was ribbed hoses...

Montana1 likes this.
  25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I have to say that is probably the last thing i look at on a car, unless its one of those hokey ass chrome ribbed rad hoses.Helped a guy who used one of the chrome ribbed hose who had blown the hose off.setting on the side of a road, told him what he needed and he said it didn't look good.......go figure. sorry got off topic

Blues4U likes this.
  26. perk30

perk30

Like some have said I have seen a lot of cars in my old magazines and books with the ribbed hoses on them. Just put one on my 29 roadster and think it gives it more of the old school look which I'm trying to maintain.

Blues4U and falcongeorge like this.
  27. Muttley

Muttley

I'm really surprised so many people dislike them, I think they look more 'correct' on an older build than the molded hoses.

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

It is better that that braided dress up stuff.

scotty t likes this.
  29. Terrible80

Terrible80

Yes, they were used. I think they look alright unless they're in a big , convoluted loop where it looks like a stored vacuum cleaner. I don't see the French fry thing?

30. Well, it's got an LS, so who cares? LOL

Montana1 and falcongeorge like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.