Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Olds hubcaps/early ford wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lodaddyo, Mar 2, 2017.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Im picking up a 47 ford coupe next week. I have a set of 50-53 olds wheel covers coming. Im in a little time crunch trying to do a few things to the car before the lonestar roundup. My question is will the olds caps fit the stock 16" wheel or will i need a special offset wheel. Or can they be adapted to trim rings. Like people do with caddy sombreros. Like this thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-caddy-sombrero-mounting-with-epoxy.225872/

Thanks guys

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. The Olds caps are 15".

3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Yes they are. Just wondering if anyone has done it. Maybe by adapting the wheel cover to a 16" trim ring

4. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 70-80's Ford F-250's used 55-56 Ford full covers on their 16.5 rims with an adapter so it can be done. I remember my first Moon discs were pop riveted to trim rings so I could take them off easily. Good luck.

7. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

So is that what everyone does thats running wheel covers? They use 15" rims? I really dont want to buy new wheels and tires. The tires that are on the car are in good shape. Ill figure something out. Thanks

8. Torchie

Torchie

That's one of the reasons most don't run 16" wheels. Not many options. Other then the Commercial Cadillac 16" sombreros there is not much out there. And with adapting a 15" you will have to deal with the valve stem hole being in the wrong place. as is shown in the link.
    Plus I believe if the 47 wheels are like the 41's not all covers will clear the raised area in the middle of the wheel.
    If you stalk e-bay you may find some vintage Lyons 16" covers or some single bar flippers. But usually the ones in good shape are singles or if a set they are costly.
    Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
    Torchie

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Then how do you adapt 16" tires to 15" rims smart guy

10. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Yeah not really wanting to shell out $800
    On some new tires right now. I guess ill just roll the trim rings and dog dish to the roundup.

11. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Any body ever seen a set of these caddy sombrero caps sold by night prowlers?
    Then sort of resemble a real sombrero. They are 16"
    image.jpeg

12. Torchie

Torchie

Haven't seen them. Are they 16" across or for a 16" wheel ?
    16" wheel covers are more like 17-1/4" across. That why when buying the Caddy sombreros off of e-bay you need to ask that question as well, as some of them are listed as 16"(Which is the measurement across) but they are for the 15" wheels.
    Torchie

13. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

They don't look like Cadillac sombreros to me. They're more like a shallower '53 stude cap with a Cadillac emblem.

41 C28 and Hnstray like this.
  14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I agree. They do look like shallow stude caps. I havent seen them on any cars.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I think Offenhauser makes an adaptor for that!

nochop likes this.
  16. Torchie is correct, I was going to do the same thing- attach Olds caps to 16" trim rings for my 46 Ford. The problem is the wheel dishes out so far and the cap dishes in so far that they hit long before the edge of the cap hits the trim ring. I have a friend running 15" Ford wheels and he had to press the cap flatter to get the to work. You can see the gap in this pic.

IMG_0818.JPG

I lucked out and found a set of knock off Olds caps in 16". I like the look of 16" tires waaaay better then 15's on 41-48 Fords.

Good luck

IMG_1534.JPG

17. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Love your car Chris, been watching it come together on instagram.,looks great. I agree about the 16" wheels looking better. I think im just gonna hold out for some 16" caps. Heres mine. I plan on removing the visor, putting the skirts back on. Probably just do a down and dirty shackle drop, 1" up front, 3" in the rear. Try to make it to austin like that
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

18. Yeah keep an eye peeled, you'll find some caps. Nice looking car, still a flathead?

19. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Yep. 59ab.,bone stock

20. Cool, looks like a good car!

21. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

Sorry, it is a 49 but I do have the 16" wheels up front that came on most 6 cylinder cars. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be finding caps either. 16" Caddy sombreros way out of my price range as they seem to have only been on limo's and ambulances. Scored these on ebay for 4 (1 of the 4 is mismatched though for $100. No one can identify them but I really like. Lyons caps come up now and then there also.

ny them! image3.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG

22. @mlewis114 those are really neat. They look like an aftermarket Sombrero with a knock off added

falcongeorge likes this.
  23. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto. Those are nice.

25. Torchie

Torchie

Yep. Those are cool.
    The Caddy sombrero that fits the 16" wheels came off of the series 75 vehicles which in Cadillac speak meant Limos or chassis that were used for hearses and ambulances. Plus add the fact that they were chromed and not stainless so they can get expensive to restore.
    When I was looking for mine I talked to a guy that had quite a few and his going rate was $450 a cover and they needed to be re-plated.
    As has been posted if you stalk e-bay or the hamb want for sale adds you will find something.
    Torchie

26. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Those are cool . I saw a pair of 16" sombreros on ebay a couple weeks ago. $500 and they were pretty rough

27. what those guys said...

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I could really see them on a early fifties style Frank Mack inspired T or A roadster, with a race car nose and a full hood.

mlewis114 likes this.
  29. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Well i dont have to worry about fitting the olds caps to 15" rims. Picked up these 16" lyon caps. Just need to get them cleaned up and polished. And repaint the crest
    image.jpeg

cactus1 likes this.