Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox speedometer question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Just got her out on the road in the last couple of weeks and my speedometer is reading Way High. Question is does a 49 shoebox have the Thousand revolutions per mile standard? Looks like I'll be changing speedometer gears but before I do that I just wanted to confirm if that thousand revolutions per mile was standard in 1949 thanks

2. i believe it is

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

What tranny ya using?

4. 700r4 but not related to speedo specs. Will figure out gears if speedo is 1000 rev per mile

5. 1000 revolutions per mile should be correct...it was on the `49 ford i worked on a few years ago

6. Thanks 36.... will go forward with that info ....hope you are correct...ahahahah

7. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Yes the 1000 cable revolutions per mile is correct for your Ford. Run the car on a measured mile. Lets say you run the measured mile and the odometer shows 11/10's in a mile the speedometer would be reading 10% fast. You can then change the speedometer driven gear to correct the error. The 700R4 driven gear is roughly 3% per tooth. So you would need a new driven gear with 3 teeth more to correct the 10% error (3 teeth x 3% =9%)..
    If your off by a significant percentage I can build a speedometer ratio adapter to correct the error.
    Hope this helps.

Ragmanray and olscrounger like this.
  8. Well thanks EL !... dang speedo just started flying all over the place and growling sound in the cable... it's always something.. soo gotta get that fixed first..

9. Hey EL.. well it seems that my friggin' speedo internals has a prob... after consideration of the "noise" - (fairly loud buzzing / rubbing sound coming from the dash - placed hand on glass and it was vibrating with the noise.. it looks like maybe my two little concentric drums inside the damned thing are coming in contact.. plus the speedo goes up to over 100 mph, hitting the little end tab that's at the top of the drums (I have another disassembled speedo that was the original out of the car, so I could see how it's put together.....) boy do I hate to think about taking that cluster out again... holy cow... so I suppose it's not the speedo cable that's making the noise, as it worked fine except for reading high until this morning...

10. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Yea, sounds like you'll be standing on your head again its going to have to come back out.:mad:

11. By the way does anybody know if one disconnects the speedo cable from a 700R4 will it leak like he!! out of the connection?.. thinking that's what I'll do in the meantime.... dang it

12. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Will not /should not leak

13. Thanks again... was wondering because there was a fluid drip on the fitting when I crawled under the car a few minutes ago....

14. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Fluid should not pass the seal in the sleeve if it is the seal in the sleeve may be bad and needs to be replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. A squeal is usually the speedo needing lube. Pull off the cable, and spray some thin lube around the input shaft. On some older (yours qualifies) speedo's, there is a felt in a tube that gets engine oil. If yours has this, unscrew, lube, rescrew.

Cosmo

16. Well the symptoms that would indicate an internal problem with the speedometer is the fact that when it squeals the speedometer pegs out all the way back to 0 miles an hour. Not to mention the fact that the speedometer cable is brand new and I did pull the cable out and squirt silicone spray on it when I put it together. Right now I just can't face pulling the front seat out and dealing with the jumble of all new wiring under the dash. Grrrrrr!

17. Cable is NOT the problem. Possible solution is quite simple - spray lube onto the drive input shaft. Your symptoms are those I have encounter numerous times before this. Always has been the input shaft being dry.

18. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I beg to differ, the speed cup is dragging against the magnet due to a worn jewel.
    It's gonna have to come back out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  19. OK, sorry. I guess all those speedometers that I lubed were not really repaired, and should have had expensive service done by outsiders.

My bad.

20. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor