Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I'm pretty sure this isn't a legal gasser!
    [​IMG]

fergenboysinc and hendelec like this.
  2. Anybody know this Crosley? What a cool altered.
    [​IMG]

3. Sure looks like the Rattler, but I/m not sure.

[​IMG]

4. What a great picture of Snakes TorkMaster car! What a pretty car!
    Hey, where's the headers???
    [​IMG]

5. " There is a group of about 5 people on this thread ( Roo, Gary Reynolds, etc) who were around when all these cool cars were racing and know everything about them."

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'm worthy of those comments, but I do appreciate them!
    Once again I need to just set the record straight. I am not an expert on ANYTHING , I just was a car crazy/ hot rod/ drag racing NUT since as far back as I can remember! I was born in 1953, I attended my first drag race at Woodburn Oregon sometime in 1964, conned my Dad into taking me every chance I got!
    Later went with friends also to PIR. , LACR, Pomona and Famosa.
    My most vivid memory was going to Woodburn to see Snake and the first Hawaiian in 1965! I remember it VIVIDLY. Smoke , fire, heat , dust, the Summer smells,the dry grass, EVERYTHING!
    I had an interesting conversation with super good guy Roland Leong at Bako (when he was with Capps ) on this very subject. He was GREAT and sincere. Brought it up with Prudhomme, he was totally un interested! Night and day.
    No turning back since then. I devoured the drags!
    I am not a racer, never did race at all, not a mechanic or technical expert. Just a DRAG NUT!
    I hope I can continue to contribute here, I enjoy all of the HAMB and the people here. I DO take it seriously!
    It's our history, it's the world of drag racing, a MAJOR portion of my life!
    Try to get it right.
    Hope you guys enjoy my stuff!
    Gary

6. The great Arnie Beswick
    [​IMG]

7. A pretty shot of Kalitta before Ford blessed him with the Cammer! That thing had such a rich gold paint!
    Don't know if this is a painting, Photoshopped or what!

[​IMG]

8. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Does anybody know which iteration of this car might be? I remember the engine being slightly exposed with Injectors showing?

9. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

10. This is after Van Sant. This was Gary Scow driving in 1970.

loudbang likes this.
  11. John Batto's Crosley, blown SBC power. This car is still around. Used to see it at Famoso all the time. Good running altered.
    [​IMG]

12. Didn't recognize it as Batto's, somethings different here, can't put my figure von it exactly!
    OR, I'm just losing it!!!
    Thanks!

13. Dosen't have the Batto Trucking lettering.

loudbang likes this.
  14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

15. christmas tree

christmas tree

I was around when these cars were around and have saw many of them run at Indy and leaned over the roll cage trying to get ideas for projects. Went to 9 drag strips within 4-5 hrs driving time. Every September,, I, with friends and family would make the trip to Indy 1961 to 1981 and due to work did not go back until 1998. Things were changing so fast that it wasn,t fun anymore. Today
    I enjoy the history of from the computer. The times they are going today are something to see though.

tommyd, loudbang and Gary Reynolds like this.
  16. Dave1946

Dave1946

17. Dave1946

Dave1946

That's a Minnesota car. I can't remember right now who owned it but it sure looks like the photo was taken at Minnesota Dragway. I'll find out who's it was and post later.

loudbang likes this.
  18. rooman

rooman

Yep, it is the Rattler. Typical "Roy" front axle, tall fuel tank back by the motor and that scoop. I have had the pleasure of cackling that car (just a static deal) and had it in my shop prior to the 50th U S Nationals.

Roo

tommyd likes this.
  19. rooman

rooman

I don't see anything later than around 1965 in the background so the photo most likely dates from around then. The other give away is the lettering on the front fender--before S & W became "Race Cars" rather than "Speed Shop"

Roo

Bowtie Coupe and tommyd like this.
  20. rooman

rooman

Fairly early Jim Oddy, about 1966/7--before the name on the door and well before the chopped top. It may be 1967 as it looks as if it has the Cragar wheels rather than the slot mags and it has the lettering on the quarter panel as seen in this shot from 1967 Indy
    [​IMG]

Roo

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This picture is a bit later as that is the Shallcross Brothers 67 Nova to the right of the Corvettes top.

tommyd and loudbang like this.
  22. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

I'll bet this didn't happen on a drag strip. Port injectors, straight axle and no roll bar?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  23. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

I think maybe Chuck Griffiths. Maybe.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

This is one well proportioned Crosley. It's harder to do than it looks. Saw it at Pomona one time I think. Really like it

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, Did John run a Chevy in the Crosley ? I only remember the blown Buick, from the Pennzoil adds in HRM in the early 60's. His Nephew Johnny Cofer,(successful USAC Midget Racer) retrieved it out of a barn and built a new chassis and raced it for several seasons around 2000 ! Great car !

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.