Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My first banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lodaddyo, Mar 4, 2017.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

So i found a guy on cl with an ad for a complete model a chassis for sale. Called the guy up and went look and made the deal. I was able to hear it run. He pulled the 1930 pickup cab and bed to build a sbc powered street rod. Not knowing much about 4cyl. , i started doing some research. Turns out, the engine is a model b. I dont think the guy i got it from knew anything. Anyway, how do you tell what year b motor it is? Do model a speed parts fit the b motor, any advantages or disadvantages to running a b motor?
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. flatford39

flatford39

That's an A motor with a B carb. I don't see a boss for a fuel pump on the valve cover. Looks like it may have a B head and water pump on it as well but that is an A block.

3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Its there, the carb is in the way at that angle. Theres a cover plate over where the fuel pump goes. Theres also no oil drainback tube like on a A motor

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Congrats on the score! Also congrats on the solid Ford. They may not be hamb friendly, but they are still my favorite trailer dragging rigs!

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lodaddyo likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - now just need to find a pick up cab & bed - keep in touch with seller in case his project never happens

lodaddyo likes this.
  6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thanks, its a 78 f250 ranger lariat. Trailer special. 400/c6. I know not hamb friendly but i love the old girl.

7. modeleh

modeleh

Could possibly have a counter balanced crank. Look through the oil filler pipe with a flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

How do i tell if its counterbalanced?

9. The basic Model B motors ('32 through '34) were all the same except to a restorer. The early '32 has a boss to install a vacuum operated clutch that was never adopted. The '33-'34 had a shorter waterpump to allow for the fact that the radiator sloped back in those years. The front pulley was shorter to match and the generator mount was further back on timing cover for the motors installed in '33-'34. The Model A speed equipment (heads/manifolds/cams) will bolt on but post exactly what you are doing as there are a few "gotchas" to watch out for. Check for piston clearance on the heads. The side plate is different between the Model A and the Model B. The B crank has larger bearings than the Model A crank. The Model B crank was counterbalanced after about October 1932. There were no serial numbers on the Model B engine as the serial number was on the flywheel housing in '32 therefore you cannot date the engine from a serial number. I have read that the top deck of the Model B is thinner and more prone to cracking, but people still generally prefer the Model B blocks, probably because of the larger crank journals. Since you have a Model A distributer I hope it has a Model A timing cover or it will be difficult to time if you go by the book. If you don't know post a picture of the timing pin boss. Since the title should match the number on the frame, I hope the title came with it.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    lodaddyo likes this.
  10. Another random thought. If you use a high performance head you will probable need a Model A water pump but they are readily available. Attached is a picture from L ARS a couple of years ago to inspire you. IMG_8114.jpg

lodaddyo likes this.
  11. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Awesome info! Thanks alot man. I fooled around with it today. Put a fresh battery in, made up a new battery cable, hoooked up a new coil. The guy kept all that stuff for his 30 sedan. I had heard it run when i went to get it. He didnt run it for long, but it sounded rough. Had to clean the points to get a good spark. It has the modern dist plate, points and condensor. Spark plugs looked good, It fired up a bit and coughed and sputtered. I could smell stale gas, i guess still in the bowl from earlier, So i pulled th carb off and took it apart. It was gummed up a bit. Cleaned it up and im gonna order a rebuild kit for it.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg