Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hipsters ruin everything

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lodaddyo, Mar 4, 2017.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

While doing a search for lyon caps, i came across this wheel cover for sale on etsy. These people are ruining some nice hubcaps.
    Making clocks out of them. Im sure it can be repaired , but still
    image.png

2. How is that any different from hoarding or even collecting? At least people get to see the clock. With the hole already in the middle it would make a dandy air cleaner top.:)

3. desotot

desotot

At least it wasn't a sombrero.:)

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. Put 4 of those bad boys on your car. and call it the wheels of time! :)

5. My great uncle (Lyon) would roll over in his grave if he saw what they did to his wheel cover................lol

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  6. Well, at least the clock was made China.:D

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Check their site out on etsy. Theve drilled some holes in some nice caps

8. Lyon caps are sooo mainstream

9. I would definitely hang one of those in my garage!

Bubba1955, mad mikey, clunker and 2 others like this.
  10. They make better ash trays
    iuMV6YIPQ7.jpg

11. Come to think of it, I have some old Studebaker Lark caps in my shop and I just might have to make one!

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

It's probably only right twice a day!
    KK

Flathead Dave, LOU WELLS and clunker like this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Dang; they've sure been busy making hubcap clocks! At least they're not getting tossed in the garbage. Some of the really beat up and rusty caps would be the ones I'd like, and they're the cheapest; you'd think those would be more.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what is this etsy that you speak of? likely run by guys with Hondas and have no use for old hub cap thing-a-mabobber

15. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I've been to that place last summer with my family on our road trip to Kure Beach NC. Holy crap what a shit show!! Loved it!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Spoggie, mad mikey, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  16. Chopperman

Chopperman

17. thunderplex

thunderplex

So what...!!!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Its being used and garage art I don't see a problem with it. Think about it, most people, car guys probably have more hubcaps then they have cars to fit them to and a Lyons cap is definitely prettier than a Stude Lark cap

19. Huge hubcap place near me closed down a few years back. Prior to closing they had been picked over. Bought some trim rings for the El's original wheels if I ever choose to run 'em. The older gent Carried his little O2 botttle around the barn full of 40 -60 year old hub caps. Took me right to the last 4 he had. Showed me why they were for my wheels, and what to look for so I don't buy swap meet lemons (we've been there!). Said his kids weren't interested in the little income it made. Crates of stuff went to scrap, but no one wanted it. Typical swap meet fodder is 60's Impala SS 14'' caps. Is anyone looking for them? Many for sale, few get bought. So some shop art isn't so bad IMHO.

20. Come to think of it, sometimes I ''junk'' my friends. Useless broken part slipped into garages or truck beds. All no harm ha ha's. Buddy out west is gonna get a beat to shit M***ang cap on the mail. "Yay a package!" "WTF???"!

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Any swap meet has dozens if not hundreds of hub caps for sale.Any dings or dents and nobody wants them.
    Buy them all day long at $1 or less if you bundle. If not perfect they are wall art.If they get turned into a clock they are not going to scrap.For the record,people have been turning them into clocks since at least the '70's if not earlier.

22. When anyone stops by my place. Before they leave I tell them to take a hub cap, or a license plate off the wall. Just for a souvenir. The kids like them for their bed room. And some guys like hanging them in their garage. I've gotten boxes of each over the years cheap. They have no real value other than just FUN art. So if your in the neighbor hood, stop in and get ya one. Either one would make you a cool clock. 209.jpg You can always enjoy old car parts, even if their not on your Rod. Just say' en. Ron...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  23. I have not stopped by there in years and it wasn't in the best of shape then. I am surprised its still up and running. They had hundreds of bill boards along 95 back in the day and if you had kids in the car it was a mandatory stop over. You nailed it...."what a shit show" and I loved it too.
    sotb2.jpg sotb.png

24. There are lots of guys making garage art or car show trophies out of parts that are nicer than the parts on my cars.

Lyons? I don't know what swap meets you're going to. If you can find me a few hundred Lyons for $1 each I'll buy every one. Hell, I'll even give you $2 for 16" ones.

Surfcityrocker and Spoggie like this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I won't make one out of the single Duesenberg con rod I have. I missed being a true "hippy" back in the day by a few years, I suppose I missed being a 'hipster' by a few decades. Some things just fix themselves...

roadster1923 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

[/QUOTE]Lyons? I don't know what swap meets you're going to. If you can find me a few hundred Lyons for $1 each I'll buy every one. Hell, I'll even give you $2 for 16" ones.[/QUOTE]
    My comment was hubcap generic concerning hipsters or anyone turning them into clocks. As far as Lyons,when I tossed over 800 hubcaps in the scrap bin a couple years ago there may have been a Lyons or two in the mix.I never looked.

27. Man, does that bring back memories ! And deep dish hub caps make great water bowls for the doggies. LOL.:D

28. What the hell is a hipster anyway? Back in the day a local Mopar club used SS trim rings when the toilet seat broke in the club house. They just thought it appropriate, definitely not what I would call hipsters.;)