Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The blue 32ish model a at Detroit.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Feb 27, 2017.

1. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

I still think it Looks Better than the car that Won,Lets talk about that!

hipster, pbr40, Jeff Norwell and 3 others like this.
  2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Let's not and say we did....as true as that statement is.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Jim Sibley, there was a lengthy conversation started by Bass on Instagram in regards to the hot rod pictured above being inspired by The Wade coupe he built. He didn't seem to have any real problems with that car, but did note some similarities and differences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Here is a comparison of the 2 straight from Bass's page.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

6. ......Good point.

hipster, lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The 90's called.... They want their Boyd Coddington swoopster car type thing back.....

hipster, Muttley, lucky13 and 2 others like this.
  8. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I bet the Prowler crowd was completely beside themselves when a member of their own took The Ridler. Who are the judges for the award? O'Reilly managers? They should all be FIRED. On a side note the Sedan should have won.

9. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I would love to see the coupe sitting on the ground. The display is nice but it would look more like a Hot Rod on the ground.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's not get all "anti-Ridler" here. We're about vintage rods and the things done to them, that blue coupe just barely makes it due to it's body mods (love em or hate em) and vintage engine. Past that it's on the outside looking in. The winner deserved it, again, love it or hate it. The sedan didn't even come close to either of the 2 in this discussion but it was stunning in execution and detail. In fact it would fit here with few arguments.

lothiandon1940, clem and Jet96 like this.
  11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just wish I had the skills to build either one .

Dino 64, lothiandon1940 and Jet96 like this.
  12. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

I won't say that it's a copy of basses car but there are similarities but there similarities in any build you can find on here or Instagram! To say it's a copy I think that's a bit dramatic!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. sololobo

sololobo

Being a homeboy build, I will only say it is a super build.

hipster likes this.
  14. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Let me say also that i think Brian bass has some of the best craftsmanship on the market!

flatheadpete likes this.
  15. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Are we talking about the same cars? That Sedan was way more beautifully crafted much more aesthetically pleasing than either. The ABOMINATION that won was GOD AWFUL. 9 times out of 10 LESS IS MORE. Rant over.
    P.S. You could tell the car they were going to pick by looking at them, Stuck in that GOD AWFUL late 80's early 90's swoopy street rod fad.

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're all entitled to our opinions medriser, but in all honesty my opinion isn't in what I stated. When you know what "...that's it..." is, and for all the right reasons, it's easy to pick. Would I love to have the winner? No, gimme the sedan all day and twice on Sunday. Our standard and it's bearers will have little chance of ever walking off with a Ridler win. Even more accurate, our standard has little interest in ever being in that competition, with that award as the goal. I would disagree that the winner was an abomination or god awful. Art forms come in all shapes and sizes and those guys brought their best to bear for that expo. In fact so did the blue coupe guys, but the execution was at a higher level in the winner. The last time I saw such a thing was in '07, a 36 Ford cpe named "First Love". It was featured in TRJ so it might even be safe to speak of within our pages, but it sure raised the bar for good.

A good post script to this topic, note the last few winners of the AMBR vs the Ridler. Cleaner and more in keeping with our viewpoints, solid quality craftsmanship applied to real cars. Different perspectives are good, refreshing, they open minds. Most significant concours events include foreign and American best of show awards. It keeps things like a 540K Special Roadster or Hispano-Suiza cabriolet from stealing every show. I'd be pissed if I had a perfect Packard 12 LeBaron Speedster and was left to suck hind tit to a Mercedes. All stunners that deserve recognition, better to award both efforts and keep the expo alive. That's also to say that our standard bearers can be inspired by even the most over the top examples as well as tried and true practice. Yes? No?

I'm gonna park this here so our fellow HAMB folk can see what we're talking about:
    (google image search)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The Model A is Kool but The grill shell insert treatment is down right fugly!!!!!

hipster likes this.
  18. Had to go back and look again. First time I thought it was just parked too close to a bollard..

19. Hopefully, some of the guys on this thread can get the opportunity to see the Model A in question in person at some point in the future. You may change your mind when you see the detail and craftsmanship up close. It's unreal. Here's a couple of shots during the build phase. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. sawzall

sawzall

thanks for those pics.
    I watched the Instagram discussion.. and I believe there has been ENOUGH debate about the "bent frame" for me..

no matter what, the work in these to cars (even if completed in vain!) is over the top..
    and theres a LOT going on here, I hope someone posts more build photos of this machine..