Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '34 Five Window Ford Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MR CLEAN, Dec 3, 2015.

1. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Flamedabone,
    The best part of the H.A.M.B. is the great advice that one can receive on their builds and I really appreciate you bringing the idea to incorporate some sort of safety latch at the front door to my attention so they do not fly open at highway speeds. So I purchased the Suicide Door Lock kit pictured below from Heinzman Streetrods 402-886-2275 in Phillips, NE. and will install. I brushed on to protect the metal P.O.R. 15 on the inner side of the original '34 inner Passenger Door as pictured below.
    Saftey Door Latch.JPG
    Passenger Door with P.O.R with 37.JPG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes ,the safety latch is a must- have.I like to put the safety latch in the kick panel instead of the door.Less weight in the door,and if the latch is popped open,it will bump up against upholstery.If it is in the door , that post will take a big chunk out of the paint on the cowl.Don't ask how I know...

curbspeed and Atwater Mike like this.
  3. ...and those that you purchased can go either in the door or kick panel......note the machined angle and just swap them to the opposite side...I've also wired the switches to a buzzer and light in my coupe

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MR CLEAN and rod1 like this.
  4. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Rodl and Revived 265,
    That is a great Idea to put the Suicide Door Lock kit in the kick panel. Would you please post pictures from your cars of installed kit and location of where you drilled hole into door if available? I like the idea of having them wired to a buzzer and light in my coupe.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Revived 265,
    Thank you sir for posting your Suicide Door Lock kit pictures in your kick panel, I like this kick Panel option much better!!!!
    MR CLEAN

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    brEad likes this.
  6. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

I really wanted to keep the original '34 Firewall as it was the best piece on the car when this build was started. Welded up over 70 holes in the Original '34 Firewall and Cowl, please see before and after pictures below.
    RUST ONE.jpg
    Firewall Rusty Inner Wall.JPG Front Firewall Close up.JPG Front Firewall was with 37.JPG Front Firewall Entire Car.JPG

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  7. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice job on the firewall. Good save.

8. 51box

51box
    from MA

Great job bringing that back to life, sheetmetal work to me is by far the most challenging part of a build.

MR CLEAN likes this.
  9. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Some of you guys on here have so much talent it's really enjoyable to watch the progress on projects of such magnitude. I also have a 34 five window which is still full fendered, unchopped & unfilled. This is what I used for my door safety latches. Not my idea saw it on another car in a magazine years ago. They are latches off a WWII airplane, a Texan T6 trainer. Give credit to Blue Collar Customs on the installation.

10. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Another thing with those door pins, I alwsys forget I have them engaged and I try to open the door, it won't open and I think to myself wtf is wrong with this thing
    :mad: why won't the door open:mad: then I remember the door locks.:confused::rolleyes:

curbspeed and 530sandman like this.
  11. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Installed Door Header Covers purchased from R & J Enterprises in Arkansas City, KS at 620-441-0032. Replaced the Original 83 year old rotted wood with a welded steal plate to attach the Door Header Covers.
    Please see Drivers door before and Passenger Door results.
    Drivers Door Header Cover Unfinished.jpg Finished Passenger Door Header Inside View.jpg Finished Passenger Door Header Outside View.JPG

12. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

13. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Dodored,
    Still working towards perfection on Body which is a very slow process, only update is I dropped off my 392 HEMI at my Engine Builder to get unstuck and started planning engine build.
    HEMI.jpg

texkbc, rod1, greaser and 1 other person like this.
  14. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Yeah, my flathead has been in "machine shop jail" for over 6 months. Its hard to get shops to work on this old crap as it takes time away from the projects that really make them money. I can't say that I blame them.
    I too have been working on finishing up the doors, as the floor and rear clip are completed. I have bought all the expensive parts except for the tires, so should be rolling soon. The good news is the '55 is rolling!

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice metalwork...

MR CLEAN likes this.
  16. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Flamedabone,
    I really appreciate you bringing the idea to incorporate some sort of safety latch at the front door to my attention so they do not fly open at highway speeds. So I purchased the Suicide Door Lock kit pictured below from Heinzman Streetrods 402-886-2275 in Phillips, NE. Please see before and after installation pictures in lower kick panels.
    Saftey Door Latch.JPG Saftey latch closed.JPG saftey latch open.JPG

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    brEad and cactus1 like this.
  17. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks Waxhead for your feedback on this build.
    Finished up the Original '34 Firewall and Cowl, please see before and after pictures below. Will start on the installation of the Original '34 Cowl Vent next in this build.
    Firewall outer.JPG
    Firewall Finished Outer.JPG

Model A Mark and waxhead like this.
  18. Mo rust

Mo rust

If you put the door locks in the kick panel, it also gives you the ability to put a manual release on at least one of them letting you unlock it from under the hood should they accidentally lock. We just attach a rod to one and have it go thru the firewall enough to get hold of.

ls1yj, rod1 and MR CLEAN like this.
  19. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Started the installation of the Original '34 Cowl Vent in this build. Was able to save the original '34 Cowl Vent Hinge and Screen, but had to purchase the Cowl Vent Ratchet, Spring and Handle pictured below from Heinzman Streetrods 402-886-2275 in Phillips, NE. Please see before and after pictures below. The Original '34 Windshield Regulator installation is the next part of this build.
    New Winshield Closed.JPG New Cowl Vent Closed.JPG New Cowl Vent Handle.jpg New Cowl Vent Half Open.JPG New Cowl Vent FULLY Open.JPG

20. You are doing a bang up job!

MR CLEAN likes this.
  21. mike bowling

mike bowling

One heck of a save! Nice work.

MR CLEAN likes this.
  22. Once again, great build.

MR CLEAN likes this.
  23. You do realize that hemi is going to take a lot of room and require you to cut up that firewall repair some right? I wanted to use a 354 in mine in the beginning but opted for the 371 Olds. If you do decide to run hood with side panel that motor is going to set way back or you are going to have to alter side panels with cutouts or blisters through the louvers. Just throwing things out there.

ls1yj likes this.
  24. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks Curbspeed for your feedback on this build,
    I agree with you that the 392 HEMI will not fit under a stock '34 Hood with side panels on stock '34 frame. When I got this '34 Ford Five Window Coupe from a old junk yard in Enid, OK with no hood and rusted off fenders and running boards with a bent rusty frame. I decided very quickly that this build would have no Fenders, Hood or Side Panels. I will be looking to build a new frame that will allow me to retain my factory firewall once the body work is completed. This build will include just the Original '34 Ford Grill followed by a Motor and Original '34 Ford Five Window Coupe Body. In my opinion the '34 Ford Grill speaks for itself, please see picture below of the ReChromed Original '34 Ford Grill that I purchased from a H.A.M.B. member.
    GRILL.jpg

curbspeed, ls1yj, flynbrian48 and 2 others like this.
  25. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Completed Original '34 Windshield Regulator installation that I purchased from a H.A.M.B. member. Please see before and after pictures below.
    New Winshield Closed.JPG
    Windsheild Frame scissors.JPG Windsheild Frame-Sissors.JPG

ss34coupe and ff1930 like this.
  26. Looks really good

ff1930 and MR CLEAN like this.
  27. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Gotta say Mr. Clean, you do some great work.

MR CLEAN and ff1930 like this.
  28. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

Thanks Aaron D. for your feedback, it has been almost Two Years since I started this ’34 Five Window Ford Coupe Build. Please see below the before and after pictures of metal work which totaled 810 hours to accomplish. I have viewed everyone’s comments both Good and Bad regarding the pictures that I have posted on this Build Thread. Due to a new opportunity, I have come to a stopping point on this Model 40 Build at this time. The reasoning behind this decision is everyone has a Dream Car on their Wish List. I just purchased the Holy Grail of Hot Rods in MY opinion that I have wanted since I was young boy going to car shows with my Father from a good friend. I will start a new Build Thread soon on my new project on the H.A.M.B. I will continue to post pictures from my Builds for everyone to view to get motivation to keep moving forward and receive feedback.
    Rust two.jpg Finished Front Closed Door View.JPG Finished Front Side Doors Open View.JPG Finished Front Doors Open View.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  29. I’m intrigued!

MR CLEAN likes this.