Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine ID by valve cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, Feb 23, 2017.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Looks like the 4 door had a car cover on it; until it fell apart anyways, and an electric heater to keep it dry. The console/shifter in the hardtop is worth some $$$ to a restorer! I wonder if the trans is a TH400 that shifter would have originally be connected to? Any idea what rearend the car has? Starting to really regret selling my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe a few months back. It came from your general area also about 8 years ago; bought it from a HAMBER in Blum, Tx. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Cool old '60s style dual-purpose street & strip gasser. Clean 'er up, get 'er running, some fresh paint and you'll be cruising and styling like a summer night of '65.
    If cars could talk, this is one that would have some interesting tales to tell. Deserving of preserving.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Don't see many of those "Two Hole" steering wheels too, most had three.

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Looks like it was built in the 70s. 65 impala console and wood grain dash along with the diamond pleated seats are really groovy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Two words....Long day! I got two of the cars moved today. Going back first thing in the morning for the parts car. Ran out of daylight. IMG_20170304_125056.jpg IMG_20170304_191615.jpg

Never2low, loudbang, Squablow and 4 others like this.
  6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Quite the find! That 4 door looks good. Swap everything from the hardtop into it and have a real sleeper.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang and turboroadster like this.
  7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

They both need to stay the way they are IMO. They're only original once and it would be a shame to split up the hard top after all these years

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jessie J. and RMONTY like this.
  8. RamJet1

RamJet1

I'm glad you were able to safely get as far as you did today. If I wasn't so deep in the state, I certainly would have been there to lend a hand. Hopefully tomorrow goes quickly so you can sit back and relax while looking over your haul.

loudbang likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

10. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Yes! Add my "yay!" to squirrel's!
    Well done!
    Regards, Dave.

loudbang likes this.
  11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Excellent!
    Long day but a good day.

loudbang likes this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'm keeping the bel air. I made a deal on it to get the 4 dr running and cleaned up so it brings the most money. It shouldn't take a lot other than time. It was driven to where it was parked, turned the key off and they covered it and walked away.....in 2004. Don't know much about the bel air

loudbang likes this.
  13. RMONTY

RMONTY

No go on the 51 2 dr parts car today. It rained quite a bit overnight and that car is going to take some maneuvering to get it out of the woods so maybe next weekend I can get it.

loudbang likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

I did notice that the bel air has purple dots in the tail lights. I guess I will start a thread on the bel air. The 4 door looks like it has been kept as original as possible and will be going up for sale soon.

loudbang and turboroadster like this.
  15. RMONTY

RMONTY

It was time consuming to get both of the cars loaded up by myself, especially with all tires flat. Thankfully the dovetail on the trailer I borrowed was low to the ground. I used a snatch block to increase the pulling power and just took it slow and easy. I'm a bit sore today but after making over 14,000 steps yesterday that is to be expected. The 4 door parking brake seemed to be locked up at first but it finally seemed to let go. I still haven't found a parking brake on the bel air.

loudbang likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Not surprising about no parking brake on the belair, since the rear was replaced to get an open drive line. parking brakes are a rather low priority when building a car like that, for most guys.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nice haul. The BelAir is the best looking body of that style Chevy IMHO. Get that 4 door fixed and gone so you can concentrate on getting the BelAir going.

upspirate and loudbang like this.
  18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The stock parking brake linkage is in the way with a V-8 swap, so all of it usually gets removed and tossed. On the 51 Bus Coupe I had, I went to a floor mounted parking brake. The stock 49-54 Chevrolet parking brake mechanism is a bit complicated also with all the cables, levers, and pivots. Just compare your 4 door and hardtop, and you'll see what I mean. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  19. noboD

noboD

What's with the rear wheels? They look like Buick? If so Buick shouldn't fit a Chevy rear bolt pattern.

loudbang likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

maybe it has an Olds/pont rearend

21. great save !

loudbang likes this.
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

Not sure about that. I'll be checking all that out after I have the titles in hand.

loudbang likes this.
  23. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looks like Buick wheels on the trailer, cruddy 70s wire baskets (less the baskets) on the Belair?

loudbang likes this.
  24. High5

High5

Nice find. The bolt pattern on a Pontiac/Olds rear axle is 5 on 5. Chevy is 5 on 4-3/4. If this car did receive a Pontiac/Olds, be careful removing the driver side rear wheel. The thread pattern on that side is reversed (clockwise to loosen). Other side is conventional.

squirrel, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

I am going to borrow a borescope from a friend and take a look down in the cylinders of both cars this weekend, and start slowly inspecting all the fluids in both engines in preparation of trying to get them cranked up and running. I know there is quite a bit to do before I turn the key, but it's a start. I am going to also make up an IV when the time comes so I'm not drawing fuel from the tanks until they are checked out as well. I'm expecting those both to be gummed/rotted/roached. The cars have been sitting since 1993 I believe. I was originally told 2003 but evidence tells me otherwise. Tags, inspections, etc. all show 1993.

loudbang likes this.
  26. RMONTY

RMONTY

I was able to turn the engine over in the 4 door today by simply grabbing the fan blade and pushing/pulling on it. I only rotated it maybe 1/8 of a turn both ways with little effort. At that point the belt started slipping, hopefully from beginning to build compression. The generator didn't seem to have any resistance to spinning either.

The oil looks a bit dirty but not milky in any shape, form, or fashion. Reckon it would be a good idea to take the valve cover off and bump all the valves with a block of wood to make sure they aren't stuck?

It's going to need a set of plug wire (mice)and I haven't checked out the points yet. Maybe just clean and set the points. I have a new set of plugs I can throw in there as well. Might be able to bust the ol' girl off this weekend! The battery cables are chewed in a couple of places but the rest of the wiring under the hood looks good.

loudbang likes this.
  27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Ive been out this morning cleaning up the 2 door belair. Cleaned all the garbage out, shop vacced all the seats and cut the rotting carpet out of the drivers side floorboard. The seats aren't totally wasted, and some of the upholstery wouldn't be shameful to use while building the car up after getting it running. My camera batteries are dead. I will pick some up today and post some pictures later.

The rockers don't seem to be in too bad of shape, at least on the driver's side. Didn't really check out the passenger side yet. The floorboards and toeboards will need replacing.

I got under the hood and vacced all the rodent remnants off the intake, and tried half heartedly to get the engine to turn over by trying to turn the crank pulley with a breaker bar. There doesn't appear to be a bolt in the end of the crank, and the pulley is bolted on with three 9/16" head bolts to a flange maybe? The bolts just tried to tighten when I gently pulled on the breaker bar so I stopped right there. More investigation is needed on the 348.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You could make a plate that bolts to the three bolts and weld a nut to the center to put a socket on.

loudbang likes this.