Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical King pin front ends...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HipCat427w, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Re MII front end. I've been in the market for a car for several months, have looked at literally hundreds of ads online. I can't tell you how many nice cars have had the front ends hacked up and an MII installed. It's heartbreaking. But as a prospective buyer, it's pretty much a deal breaker to me. You want an MII front end in your car, go for it. But realize you're limiting your market if you ever want to sell it. Add high back bucket seats with center console and tilt column with a fat steering wheel for the full fucked up effect. Oh, and modern gauges, don't forget the modern gauges from the local auto parts chain store.

Truck64, tb33anda3rd and X38 like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

To answer the question about king pin front ends being OK for 70+ mph, I certainly hope so cause I do it all the time. BTW, there are about a gazillion heavy trucks on the road running king pin front ends at well over 70mph every day and every night.

3. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Yeah, we are stickin' with the king pins and just going to add disc brakes up front.... The pins lasted 65 years so... Just wanted to make sure I wasn't over looking some thing...lol... I usually do...

4. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Didn't those cars at that um, place have beam axles with kingpins? It was um, oh yes, Indianapolis. Didn't they drive 70+? Just joking, but is it true.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

I have rebuilt the front end on my 54 Chevy, and found that the brakes are more than adequate, and the handling is just fine at freeway speeds.

You could adjust the steering slop in the steering arm that is connected to the cross member. The other way to eliminate slop is to adjust the steering box gears. The adjustment should be on the side of the box.

While you have this whole thing apart, you could put on a set of 53-54 uprights, which should lower the car about 1.5".

Lastly, look into buying some 54-62 Corvette caster shims. They fit between the cross member/frame, and are the only difference between your front end and a Corvette.

HipCat427w likes this.
  6. HipCat427w

HipCat427w

Cool... Thanks Dan!

7. lowrd

lowrd

Used dropped uprights from Fatman including the steering arms, one coil cut from springs and disc brake kit from
    one of the reputable suppliers. All is good, stops faster now.

8. frosty-49

frosty-49

King pins are great. Have them in my Ford(my avatar). Good to over a hunert mph. Have fun with putting in another column. That will be a project if you still have the original column.

9. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I have a 1950 with original front end , power disc with dual bowl master on the firewall and swing pedal .... I know the swing pedal is a no-no to some but it works really well

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

Here is how got dual circuit brakes on my 54 while using stock pedals. Before you go spending the money on disc, check out Rock Auto. I did Delco wheel cylinders, and shoes on the front for less than $40. I guarantee that I can smash your face into the windshield just as fast with drums as with discs.[​IMG]

Hnstray and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Praise the voice of sanity! Well done sir!

Cabbie and firstinsteele like this.