Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 16" Wheel Hoops? To fit Wide 5 Centers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Going to run Coker / Firestone Dirt track 8.90-16's on the rear of my old stock car, but haven't been able to find a wheel hoop, or even a complete rim that will accept the stock Ford wide 5 center (around 14.25" across). Coker lists rim width between 6-8.5", but after talking to a few guys running them, 7" wide seems ideal.

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with the guys that supply wheel parts to dirt track racers; there are still a lot of guys running "wide-5's" on modifieds out there. Fifteen years ago, Speedway used to sell the wheel shells (and even the centers), but the last time I checked, they weren't listing them anymore.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Not a problem ,I used spare tires off 2000 or so Chev. full sized pickups. they really don't have a center like the ford wheels . They are like two halfs put together, anyway just put them in a lathe and cut the center out . I will try to post pictures but I wheelwide50023el.jpg wheelwide50031bn.jpg wheelwide50031bn.jpg wheelwide50104ea (1).jpg am not good at this ,maybe I can send them as a message easier.

bct, Hnstray, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Oh by the way they are 6.5 inchs wide

Randy D, Hitchhiker and Shaun1162 like this.

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I used a late model Honda Civic 16" hoop. They are 6.5" wide also. The drop center is wide enough where you can vary your backspace some. I positioned my center so it added 1.5" to the backspace and 1" to the outside space. I'll check the wheel number on them tomorrow if you'd like. JoeCool, I like the looks of those you've done also.

Hnstray and Shaun1162 like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

So maybe there are some good parts on these new vehicles ! Thanks to both of you for the info !

Shaun1162 likes this.
  7. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the info, that was a great help! I think I have some 8 lug GM rims from the 2000's, they're likely the same. Now finding someone with a lathe might be an issue, usually turnaround time isn't too good...

Thank you as well for the tip, always good to have options. How did you remove the center on the Honda rims?

Did either of you have to modify or cut down the Wide 5 center, or did they drop right in?

8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I stuck a .010 feeler gauge in several places around the edge to snug it up ,put it on a hub and put a dial indicator on it and tack welded it.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  9. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

The centers of the Honda hoops just have a 90 degree flange on them and are welded in four places. Pretty easy to use a cutoff wheel and carefully cut at the edge of the weld to remove the center. Then just carefully grind the remaining weld off. The wise five center was a nice tight fit in the hoop requiring only a cleanup to hammer in. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Shaun1162 and cactus1 like this.
  10. oj

oj

Wheel Vintique will make them up too, send him your centers and he has 8" hoops that are special to the wide 5 and he'll weld them up for you. I'm packing a set up now to send him.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Great info guys. I have a buddy that did the Chevy truck swap.

FlatheadWard likes this.
  12. Find a supplier of tractor rims. I have some info somewhere from one of the suppliers when I was looking for hoops for my wide 5's. They were inexpensive and I believe offered different widths and sizes, 16",17", 18" dia that would fit the standard 16" wide 5 centers.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  13. DocJohn

DocJohn

This may not help you much but I've made 7J wide wide fives using Land Rover Discovery wheels. They are a perfect fit and, as they are welded in five places, are relatively easy to cut out with slitting wheel.
    The Honda Civic tip is suggestion for me as there's a fair chance of finding some over here and I want to make some slightly narrower wheels. Has anyone any idea of a 6J wheel that would work?

Shaun1162 likes this.
  14. Mark T

Mark T

Anyone know of a late model wheel hoop that will fit the '40 Ford style centers, 5'' or 6'' would be good.

Sorry to highjack the thread.

15. alchemy

alchemy

Let us know when you find this info again.

16. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Great info you guys have been posting, really insightful - glad I came here to ask! Would have been more of project without guidance from the H.A.M.B.!

Thanks for posting some pics, really helpful. Buddy of mine has some Civic rims that he's selling, so they should work perfect..... Saves me from a trip to the machine shop too. With the Honda rims is it possible to have only a small backspace? I need to have less backspace then the Ford wide 5's..

17. Please post your process!

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To those suggesting tractor wheels, not all of them have safety beads. Some of you might not care about this, as the originals did not either, but you should at-least know that before you go forward.

The originals were also never intended to to travel and corner at 75-80 mph on paved interstate roads, neither are tractor wheels.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. DocJohn

DocJohn

Shaun1162 likes this.
  20. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I couldn't find any; I ended up widening the original wheel by adding more backspacing with a section cut off a 16" wheels.... there's alittle info in my build thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pea-green-the-29-tudor-build.943048/page-2

upload_2017-3-4_17-47-17.png

Shaun1162 and cactus1 like this.
  21. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You might be able to weld up the valve stem hole and reverse the hoop to set your center in position to lose a bit of backspace, but it wouldn't be much. The distance from bead to drop center is not much different on the civic hoop compared to the original.
    [​IMG]
    I would like to find some 4-4.5" wide late hoops with safety bead to run on the front, but haven't really looked. I could take a pair of these and make one narrow wheel by combining the outer section of each, but that's getting into a lot of work. It would be cheaper to just send my centers to one of the vendors if they have a narrow hoop with safety beads.

Shaun1162 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought that the hoops from "temporary spares" might be good, but I have found that to not be the case. Of all that I have dug up at the yard, each only had a safety bead on just one side!

I am thoroughly unsure as to why this would be the case.

23. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Hmm. That's weird. I looked at several of those trying to find a narrow hoop but never found one with the right diameter inside. Never got so far as to notice the safety bead issue. Thanks for that info, because I might have overlooked that if I'd found a good fit.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a whole mess in 16" x 4", with just one bead. I have two, for shop rollers.

I'm hoping someone here can spot a double.

25. alchemy

alchemy

If you are using tubes do you really need safety beads? Which are the narrow production wheels you found with the correct ID (even if they only have one safety bead)?

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ever roll a tire off of a wheel? I have.

Also, I don't run tubes. They generate excess heat with radials. I have popped tubes too.

Dodge. Many models have 16" x 4".

27. No radials allowed... ;)

Shaun1162 likes this.
  28. I used Iveco van hoops. 5" 20170307_084821.jpg

DocJohn and ronzmtrwrx like this.