Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Panhard Bar Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 28, 2017.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of my Porsche track cars had a front RC below the surface of the Earth. My Falcon parking lot racer does too. I set up a lot of cars that way.

Come for a ride with me. You will puke before you detect body roll.

biggeorge and Just Gary like this.
  2. Here's my comment on the rear roll center in particular. A large majority of our Early Hot Rods DO NOT end up running an Anti Sway bar, and due to this, having an extremely low rear roll center will actually induce excessive body roll and body roll oversteer, to the point of being quite a handful. That all changes when the car is equipped with bars that can dial in and compensate for this.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm ready to go!

[​IMG]

Chavezk21 likes this.
  4. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since it's a good topic for it let's get dirty. Typical buggy sprung early V8 Tudor, dropped axle, lower springs, blah, blah, seen a hundred times. Would a front anti-roll bar (sway bar) and a rear Panhard be preferable or front and rear anti-roll bars? I had planned a sway bar up front and a Panhard out back, and mainly because my tires are a wee bit close to the fender edges and I like em where they are (5" wide 5 truck wheels). There will indeed be tube shocks on all 4 corners too. The rear Panhard would be fabricated and as long as I can possibly get it. Or, front and rear sway bars along with the Panhard rod? What say some of you?

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Arc.jpg
    A longer bar equals a shallower arc and less lateral movement

Andy, biggeorge and 34toddster like this.
  7. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

Totally true anout long panard bars, but the watts link has no lateral movment.

Sent from my SM-T713 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Dan Glover

Dan Glover

9. McDeuce

McDeuce

IMG_0229.JPG Our panhard bar in our Roadster

olscrounger and mkebaird like this.
  10. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

As nice as that looks, you may as well run a straight bar across.

11. McDeuce

McDeuce

You can not see from the picture angle, but the sway bar is in the way on both side. It was build that way to clear and because it looks cool

12. van Dyck

van Dyck

A Mumford Link is more compact than Watts Link. Also, zero side deflection. Google for what they look like - if you care to know.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  13. jackalope

jackalope

Any other pics of this set up from different angles? Nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

But wouldn't it have the same "problem" as a chassis mounted Watts link? Or not? Gary

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always felt a Watts link was rather busy and cumbersome looking in a hot rod. The image search I did for a Mumford, same/same. They seem like a fairly ultimate get up for race cars (not so much drag racing). No input on my question above? One or the other out back? Both? Maybe a gentle angle to the shocks would assist an anti-roll bar out back vs adding another bar (panhard). Typical transverse 39 Ford rear suspension with a lowering spring, everything is fresh so not looking for a bandaid "fix", just some positive handling should the twit texting up ahead demand a moment of highway gymnastics.

16. mkebaird

mkebaird

I'd go with sway bars on both ends, then see if you need the panhard, JMO.
    I like the shock idea, my avatar is set up that way.

17. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I have always installed sway bars , I always use someone's kit such as Chassis Engineering. However one of my 40's has coil over rear suspension and I feel it needs something to make it more stable. I am seriously looking for a panhard bar. I'm not a craftsman like most of you guys seem to be, so I'm looking for a kit. This thread I find very interesting but where can I buy a kit. Please no Hoffman group stuff either.

18. atch

atch

I'm sure that there are lots more, but I'd start with Pete and Jakes or Chassis Engineering. I know that they both have them and both have excellent reputations. They also have both been in business for a looooong time.

19. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

First .................Id like to buy a low roll center whats the part number? :)
    2nd ...................Mumford link is the shit but I dont know of ANYONE who does kits????
    Highlander.........roll bars and panhard bar do different things, panhard bar only locates the axle (rear buggy spring probs not needed) , the answer to if you need a rear sway bar can only be answered by driving the car somewhere safe and finding out if it has understeer, oversteer or is neuteral (wont be neutral)

20. I made panhard bars for both ends of my Model T Modified. Front is made from a Citroen 2CV track rod arm and steering arm. Rear is from some cold drawn tubing, weld bungs and rod ends. Would have liked the front one to have been a bit longer but it is as long as I can make it without getting complicated. The rear one is the full width of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AndersF likes this.
  21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Atch.
    Yes, Panhard as long as possible & way lower than anybody puts them on Hot Rods.
    You've seen my car handle at Mokan ( or heard about it ), but here is a pic of what is under it.

Roadster 010.jpg

As far as the Mumford Link, Its cool but not ideal in a lot of ways.

I needed something for the sideways location of a DeDion rear axle in a ( very much Off Topic) racecar with a mid engine and a Hewland transaxle.

This is what I came up with ( just a mockup at this stage ).
    Its based on a Mumford, but I think it will give me some advantages over that.
    Its totally unproven at this point, but on the off chance that it works, I claim the name Mac Gillavry Link. :)

2 26 17 005.JPG

10 10 16 002.JPG

Ned Ludd and Tudor like this.
  22. metalshapes

metalshapes

And eventhough its O/T in this application, if it works like I think it will, it could be adapted to a Hot Rod with a Quickchange or something like that...

lowrd and Tudor like this.
  23. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Thanks atch.

I've found 2 in speedways catalog, one measuring 20" and another 26" end to end. Also found one on Welder Series that measures 29" C-C (center to center?)
    However other guys mention using one off a early to mid 60's Chev. I don't have one in my back yard to measure, I'm curious how long one of these might be?

24. Ed Roth used long ones on Mysterion in '62

IMG_7448.JPG IMG_7438.JPG

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's a great looking setup, but the 2 bolt mounting would give me agita because the forces of the panhard bar will put those bolts in sheer. I'd feel better with a 3 bolt flange. Nice fab work through

26. Using a watts on new chassis for my wife's 59 Chevy 2 Door wagon . Please over look OT engine. Blue
    IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0283.JPG DSC00870.JPG DSC00871.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

JOYFLEA likes this.
  28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Frame looks like scratch build, whew! Lotta work/planning, nice job..Wife must be good to you!

JOYFLEA likes this.
  29. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

just to add 2 cents.....

if you triangulate your 4 link enough you don't need a track (panhard) bar. just make sure your roll center etc.... are close.

hotrodharry2 and JOYFLEA like this.