Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jesse Schnieders, Feb 5, 2017.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56 Ford and Merc were first..

2. HyperThraxer

HyperThraxer
    from Brisbane

No, struggling to find what I need as it is.
    Getting most of my stuff from fusick and Ross race engines.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Very cool lines, I'm doing a 4 door super 88 currently ...shaved the door handles and mirrors to really show those sexy lines, rust free Montana car. Will be putting metallic red white top red and white interior...

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

EVL401 likes this.
  5. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Oh yeah, 394 ci with an acid ported, custom phenolic spacer install 371 tripower manifold...runs great

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

7. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Had an offenhauser for the 394 originally...couldn't shut the hood either, this I can without much room to spare, fun times either way

60 Super 88

8. 6th grade in 1960. We walked to the high school to catch our school bus home and while waiting we watched the high school cars cruise the school..somebody's dad bought a new 60 olds and let Junior drive it to school that day. I watched slack jawed as this dark green 88 cruised past and around the corner ....strange how something so obviously dull can stay in a guy's memory for 57 years. It had 6 guys in it and it sat super low with the weight...too cool!
    The 60 olds is sooo much better looking than the 59s.

9. What kind of manifold is it?

Sent from my MotoG3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. My dad said his boss had a 60 flat roof. He said the car was so long that it should have a u joint in the middle just to make the turns.

11. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

It's a 57 J-2 manifold from a 371, guy told me there was no way for it to fit...bet me 100$ and the manifold so the challenge was on cause no way to me screams make it fit. Fabricated some 1/4 phenolic spacers, filled the manifold with acid to enlarge the runners a bit. All said and done runs like a champ, 100$ in my pocket, manifold I can close the hood with, and have mounts for the automatic kick down linkage in the correct location. Lesson to that fellow....Never say never

60 Super 88

12. What kind of linkage? I had some junk from eelco, I could not ever get the set screw tight enough on the main shaft so it would always slip.

13. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

I bought some linkage arms from for the extended shafts somewhere on the web few years back, used some quarter inch rod bent to clear my 63 pcv system and made the rest from stuff laying around the shop. Secret to keep the arms from slipping on the shafts is.to get them where they need to be, mark the set screw position, take the arms off and slightly drill the screw positions...I use a 3/16 bit an only go as deep as the bit tip, that pins them in place pretty well...no more slip.

60 Super 88

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you're adhering to the 1st rule in full custom efforts, restraint. Looking fwd to it.

15. papajohn

papajohn

Rsmcewood, does the J2 manifold use large base or small base Rochesters? I was planning on running an offy manifold and knew there would be hood clearance issues. Sad part is that I had a J2 on my shelf for years and sold it at some point.

16. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Small base x 3

60 Super 88

17. contesly

contesly

18. rsmcewood

rsmcewood

Had the husband of an Air Force officer who gets to stay home with their little girls make them, Mikes now in San Antonio if anyone is interested in that area, great work.... I'll contact you

60 Super 88