Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A in a B

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tim O'Kelley, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

I have a stock '32 frame and a performance '29 A engine. I am going to mount the A in the B. Any suggestions? I have put Flathead V8's in Model A's but never an A motor in a 32. The body will be a phaeton and I have the engine coupled to a nice T5 with torque tube set-up and a '39 rear. Front '32 axle has been dropped and a flattened '34 rear crossmember installed for the stock '32 spring . A nice set of '35 spokes and big and little Firestones. Think it will be fun.;) Looking for advice on mounting the engine.

Stovebolt likes this.
  2. Does the front crossmember have the rear flange with the biscuit dimples? The B straddle front mount will bolt to the A front cover. What is the center crossmember? What is the bellhousing?

3. Get a Model B front motor mount and it should all go together, unless I am missing part of the story. In '32 the back of the engine was supported by the transmission. The "B" had antichatter rods which you may need to duplicate. How about some pictures? Do you need a picture of a B motor mount?

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

5. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

Thanks for the replies. Front crossmember is stock '32 with biscuit mounts and center is stock K-member. I have a AA bell(truck). No B front mount but a picture would be helpful. I been looking for one but not sure what it looks like and wasn't sure it would fit the A motor.

6. Model A's have side motor mounts as well, off the flywheel housing.

7. Here are couple of pictures. It will bolt right on. The timing cover I show is a Model B but the Model A is the same where it counts. The '33-34 motor mount is similar to the B but wider.

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

8. Yep. And in a 32 the trans mount is essentially the rear motor mount.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. flatford39

flatford39

You are going to need an electric fuel pump as well. The A engine has nothing to attach a manual one to as the gas tank was above the engine and fed the carb by gravity. If you have an A body then you could use the gravity gas tank to feed it.

10. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

Thanks for the pictures of the mount. Now I know what to look for. Already got the fuel pump mounted at the back of the frame just ahead of the fuel tank.
    Thanks again.