Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need info on 40's-50's SW Gauges...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Apr 3, 2006.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

I found a 2" Stewart Warner mechanical oil pressure gauge this weekend. It has curved glass and the winged logo...

[​IMG]

...so according to TRJ issue #10, it would be 1948-1954 era? Does that look correct? I tested the gauge with 30 psi air pressure and it seems to read accuarately.

I would like to use this gauge in my 32 along with the stock SW speedo. Do I have much of a chance of finding a matching mechanical temp gauge that works? Any idea what I would expect to pay?

Thanks,

Neal

2. alchemy

alchemy

I would think a mechanical temp that "matches" the condition of your oil pressure would run about $150 on Ebay. Maybe less if you're lucky. But there's a good chance that it won't work correctly, and they cost about $150 to repair at a place I go to.

A temp with a nicer face will cost more.

Old Stewart-Warners are a dangerous addiction. Kind of like '32 Fords. Beware.

I have some NOS temps with as-new faces. PM me if interested.

3. Neal, I had a mechnical water temp to match yours but after the pinheads at United Speedometer said the cable couldnt be repaired, I cannibalized it. I still have it but it needs glass and a correct-patina bezel. Those stepped bezels are easy to change, though, WAY easier than the 2-5/8". You can have it if ya want it. Theres a lady in New Mexico who repairs capilary-tube gauges, fixed my Auburn for $130. PM me here or there.

4. A Boner

A Boner

Check on roadsters.com web site.....good info.

5. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com