Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "ALUMINUM" KOGEL Flathead Heads, anyone have any info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelamac, Mar 1, 2017.

1. modelamac

modelamac

I just picked up a set of "59ab style" KOGEL finned aluminum heads?

Does anyone have any information on these?

I found some stuff for the Kogel "Rocket" cast heads, but nothing at all about aluminum ones. From what I understand the cast heads are somewhat "rare" but out there, but I've found nothing at all about the aluminum ones.

The only markings on them are the name KOGEL and the firing order on the top edge.

Any information would be great... I bought them to put in my display case, but would love some history/information on them.

2. choptop4

choptop4

I had a set of iron heads. Guy came by and had to have them. They had been cracked and pinned together.

3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

A picture would be nice.;)

Spooky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. modelamac

modelamac

Yeah I know... I'll stop by the shop tonight and get a photo.
    Sorry, I was sitting here at work bored... LOL, thought I would post something.
    I'll get some photos up.

lothiandon1940 and Speed Gems like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Iron Kogels are very rare. Aluminum Kogels are unheard of. Until now.

6. modelamac

modelamac

Now with photos... Sorry, they also say Los Angeles, California. and have "Pat. Pend" under KOGEL. I sure hope someone know something about these. KIMG0194.jpg

Attached Files:

Spooky and 302GMC like this.
  7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

8. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I found an old ad for Kogel heads. They were made post war and two different versions were available; the cast iron ones more commonly seen and there were aluminum heads cast as well. The Kogel Circular Turbulence head as referred to in the ad came in 3 compression ratios, 7.5, 8, and 8.5, has 25 per cent more water capacity and originally sold for $40 a pair. The aluminum heads came polished right from the factory. Kogel, 1151 S. Broadway, Rm.646, Los Angeles 15, Calif. I have seen a few sets of cast iron Kogel heads and I do know they are prone to cracking. Finding a good set of Kogel cast iron heads can be a challenge. You don't see these heads on any of the dry lakes cars or at least very few and I would guess the company was very short lived. Guys back then probably didn't want to mess around with the valve pocket area that Kogel had put a patent on.

9. modelamac

modelamac

Hey thanks QuickchangV8... I just posted these on the "Rare Flathead Heads Let's See Some" thread and mentioned your information, along with credit to you for finding it.

Spooky likes this.
  10. 562roadster

562roadster

I also have a set of aluminum Kogels. Found them a few months ago in Arizona. I was also lookingfor history on them but only found info for the cast iron versions. So far your set and my set are the only ones i have seen.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app