Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 560-15 With 6" Wheels Options/Opinions/Experience?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Johnny Wolf, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Need some assistance from the pros, please.
    Can someone chime in who has run(s) the 560-15 tire with 6" wheel combo, please? I need to pull the trigger on tires.
    On the rear I'm running 15x10 Supremes with 10-15-29 (2 1/4" white wall) Radir Slicks. I'd really like to keep with the bigs/littles, so I really don't want any larger diameter in front than about 26" and no larger than about 2 1/8" to 2-3/4" white wall width.
    After a ton of reading I've noticed that most are running 560-15 with 5" wide wheels. My front Supremes as mentioned are 6". Some say the 560-15 wont stretch far enough to seat properly, some say they've been running that combo for years...???

I found these pix and info on line:
    http://www.ccpauctions.com/lot-details.php?RefNum=r122&EventID=87

Wheels
    -15 X 6 and 15 X 8 Astro Supreme wheels w/bullit center caps
    -Firestone Champion Deluxe 5.60 x 15 front tires
    -Radir slick’s 8.20 x 15 rear tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone here have any experience with this combo? Or, can recommend a tire based on my description of 26" dia max with 2-1/8" to 2-3/4" ww width?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No one listens to information they don't want to hear. That said, 5.60-15 were VW Beetle sized tires, most commonly found on 4" wide wheels. A 6" wheel is 50% wider than that which is the correct size. Rim width has to be (somewhat) proportional to tire section width for the tire to perform as designed and intended.

Will your proposed tire wheel combination work? Yes, it will but maybe you should consider some narrower wheels.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda tough to follow Hnstray's reply, but yes, chalk me up as one that has run the 5.60x15's on 6" wheels, with no problems. Since those long gone days, I've progressed to running radials. I've run the equivalent sizes (165 80x15's) on 6" ralley wheels and am currently running the 165's on 6" Americans. Never a problem. All run on pretty light vehicles, currently on an Anglia with a small block and 5 speed.
    I will confess, right here on the HAMB, I haven't run bias ply's since radials became readily available. Wimp, I know.

droppedstepside likes this.
  4. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

I get what he's saying. "Yeah it will work, is it the best idea, safe....?".

As for weight, funny you mention that. I had to obtain a weight cert yesterday as part of the registration into Ca DMV process. Car is registered as a '41 Chevy in AZ, currently. It weighs 2250 lbs.

I'm running bias ply because I've always wanted a set of Radir Slicks/Supremes combo. When the novelty wears off, I'll probably go back to radials, haha.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Tire store rule of thumb is that the treas of the tire and wheel should be the same width. 5.60 means the tread should be 5.6 inches. (They never seem to measure that) A 6 inch wheel is a bit wider. Not a deal breaker.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

my 40 runs 5.60s up front but on 5 inch wheels... with that said the low rider guys have been running 5.20 14 premium sportways on 6 and 7 inch rims for decades. on heavy impalas and even on the rear. I would say go for it

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of bias tire sizes are closer to the section width, while the actual tread width is much smaller. For example, a Firestone Deluxe Champ 560 X 15 tread is only 3.80", while the section width is just under 6". A better wheel width choice would be 4", or 5" max.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As suggested by V8 Bob, the tire dimension indicates the section width (width of the sidewall), not the tread face dimension. Same for radial tires, only they are usually (always ?) stated in millimeters,
    i.e. 205/75-15 ........205 mm section width, 75 indicates sidewall height as a percentage of section width
    (75 % of 205 mm) and finally, 15 being the wheel bead diameter. A 5.60 tire in metric measure would be about 140 x 15....5.60 x 25 mm (1 inch) = 140.

The older style tires, using the two dimension size nomenclature, are usually 80 to 83% side wall height to section width........i.e. if stated like later tire size indicators, would be 5.60-80-15 (140/80-15)

Taking this back to the OP's original question.......the 5.60" section width is narrower than the 6" wheel width he proposes to use. In OEM automotive applications I do not recall EVER seeing a tire mounted on a wheel wider than the tires design sidewall width. That should tell you something!

Ray

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Thank you for all the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

A buddy chucked up some 15" truck centers on his lathe and then welded them into '56ish rims... i ran them for years...
    Then he welded the car centers into the truck rims but reversed them 1.75" [perfect for hard channeled car rears]...['50 ford beauty rings didn't fit right]...
    thanks stan... [he uses riveted rims only for this]
    stoopyd qwestion but did you measure your wheels from inside of the rim to the inside of the rim's other inside...
    local rodder was measuring outside from saftey lip to saftey lip...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  11. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Yes. I've always measured that way, thanks.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

An idiot that worked at a shop I worked at walked up and loudly expressed his 'expertise' in the width measurement of a wheel I was doing for a customer.
    "You ALWAYS measure a wheel on the outsides of the rim!", he stated. I laughed.
    This was the same bozo that measured electrical amperage drain with the volt meter. "Its got a 12 volt drain!"
    He'd scream it...like the building was gonna burn.
    I made it thru there to the date I was to open my shop. Whew!
    He was about to hit my fist with his face.

falcongeorge and Hnstray like this.
  13. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Bwahahaha, what a douche nozzle.

14. titus

titus

ive ran many 560-15s on 6" wheels, it works fine, would i rather run them on 5" rims, yes, but that not always an option.

droppedstepside and bowie like this.
  15. In the sixties, I ran 5.60s on 5-1/2" Mercury wheels. It worked, but the rim was so wide it scraped when the wheel was off and flat on the ground, ...bad for chrome and paint. On my current car, I am running 5.90x15 tires in front. I started with a 5" rim but dropped down to 4-1/2" rim, because the fit just did not look right. A 5" rim is as wide as I would ever go for using a 5.60x15 tire.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Thanks for the input everyone. it's a done deal.
    [​IMG]

droppedstepside and Moriarity like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

what width rims did you end up with?

18. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

I've had the rear 10" rims/Radir slicks and front 6" rims all along, I was only looking for front tires. Went with the 560-15.

19. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Yes good choice I've also been plauged with the same delima at one point but would have made the same choice as you

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have to agree it will work . Is it correct ? Hell no ! It should be mounted on a 5 inch or smaller rim width . It will be fine , you'll be the first to know or understand why it didn't work . The are size and rim data on tires for a reason . If you have a failure that seriously hurts someone will you stand up and say you went outside of data and installed the tire knowing it wasn't correct ? Better think about the facts in today's world , you maybe fighting to keep your house or worse

Hnstray likes this.
  21. Show us how your car looks with the new stuff mounted!

22. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Can't at the moment. Still need to order the "shank/washer" type lugs.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  23. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Checking the rears for clearance, Clarence. I'll sleep better tonight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  24. Johnny Wolf

Johnny Wolf

Got the fronts mounted up last night. I'm waiting on the correct lugs for the rear. I only removed one of the 7/16 lugs off the front to determine what I needed. It didn't dawn on me that the rear S10 would be M12x1.5 oops. I should add that I bought this as an unfinished project, so much of the journey thus far has been uncovering the mysteries. [​IMG]