Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Car Movie Fun-Facts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Victory99, Feb 22, 2017.

1. They built thirty ’65 imperials with Chevrolet engines, for the making of the 2011 Green Hornet movie. On the very first day of filming, one was crashed head on into a wall and destroyed due to an accelerator malfunction (that was all they said about it). They ended up driving it off the set and down the street, which was kind of surprising in its condition. lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Back to American Graffiti...How many of you knew that the "Pharoahs" car club in the movie was actually the "Faros". They are still active in Modesto. Here's my car plaque and last year for Graffiti we were honored with a plaque on the "Legends of the Cruise" Faros Plaque.JPG Faros Walk of Fame.JPG Faros.JPG

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Here's a little history on George Lucas and the Faros. This is a page from his biography called "A Life" available thru Amazon for about $20 George Lucas.JPG

4. lebowski, that was a real funny movie .I liked the part where he baits the customer with a $10 or $20 dollar bill with his fishing pole. LOL. Bruce.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and mad mikey like this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Anyone remember the episode of Happy Days where fonzie was going to restore the "55" chevy convertible and they actually made a big deal about it, but it was actually a 53 ?:eek:......stuff like this makes you wander if some of this stuff isnt sometimes intentionally done just to create interest and get people more involved in the show or movie.

My Dad and I use to sit and watch movies and catch stuff like that when I was a kid, lotsa hubcaps flying off in chase scenes back then, only to reappear back on in the next turn:D

6. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Cosmo49, v8deuce, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  7. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

there was one "perry mason" episode that started out with a guy crashing his '57 ford into an electric transformer station. sound familiar? yep, it was the luke doolin death scene from "thunder road"!

8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Channel 7 Movie Outrage, upload_2017-2-26_10-58-41.jpeg with Robert Culp, Larry Watson's Ranchero and a few Street Machines ...

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bill hickman. taught james dean the ropes and was right behind him when he died.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  10. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Don't forget Greg Brady's '56 ragtop.... :D

i255976.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 and CoolYourJets like this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I always thought the French Connection chase scene trumped the Bullit chase hands down. Theres a couple real "sphincter clenchers" in that scene!

Hotdoggin DaddyO and mad mikey like this.
  12. I agree George, the French Connection chase has some real hair raising moments.

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep.Mad,mad,mad,mad world was a trip.IIRC saw it about 3 times.IIRC,the driver going to get his Mom was crying and saying"I`m coming Momma".Could be wrong though.I think that I`ve seen almost all of the movies mentioned in the thread.Fun times.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

I've sen that movie soo many times in my teens and I just loved that '57. But as you say, It doesent look like it was built in a time before his daughter was born. But you could defend the scoop since his buddy who kept the car says "I keept it tuned up to" when the iceman starts it. I am a swede and not to familiar with the lingo, but I always thaught he ment he put som work and extra power in it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hotdoggin DaddyO and chevy57dude like this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No traditional cars, but hopefully they will give this a pass, just cause its so cool!

16. ^That chase is one of the best.^

17. daliant

daliant

There's a couple scenes in The Seven Up's chase where you can see cameras and camera crew in the shot.
    About halfway through the chase when the Pontiac Grand Ville blows the door off the beat up little Opal Kedett with shitty red paint job, you can see the cameraman dive behind a Volkswagon as the door comes flying at him. The same car gets sideswiped earlier in the chase, It's blue in the first scene

When the cop car joins the chase you can see a camera crew in the shot when all three cars take a long sweeping turn with the Geo Washington bridge in the background.

When they blow through the police cars blocking the entrance to the bridge there's a film crew hiding in a construction barricade with a hole cut in it for the camera.

I give those guys a lot of credit back then though. It's a lot harder to actually film stuff getting destroyed in a chase scene rather than all the CGI crap they do today.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Victory99 and falcongeorge like this.
  18. Maybe they fixed it?

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  19. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid, we could tell what flavor of car it was by starters and by exhaust, Chrysler product starters and Volkswagen exhausts were low hanging fruit and weren't even counted. I don't know that you could do the same these days.

Bill Hickman was also the cop that Gene Hackman shot in the French Connection.

How do movie cars drive when most of them are in park?

dan c likes this.
  20. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I was getting ready to post that. I caught it the first time I ever saw the movie. Better than sacrificing a nice Challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Dammit, now I've got to go find that movie and watch the rest.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its a damn good flick.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  23. Nezzy51

Nezzy51

Was in jr high when The Seven Ups was on tv. The next day at school could not convince other kids that it was a Pontiac Ventura and not a Chevy Nova! Whatever!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where the hell did you get that clip? This is a famous film flop and you just spoiled it for me! :eek:

In the movie it looked like this
    upload_2017-2-28_22-44-7.png

25. How about the ’40 Ford in The Blob?

At the time the movie was made, Tom Seboll of Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, owned the car.
    blob1.jpg
    The car was then sold to another Pennsylvanian, Pete Peterman, whom made it into an E/Gas drag car, racing under the S&W Speed Shop name.
    This picture is taken from an 8MM, transferred to a VHS tape that I had to play on the TV and take a picture of, because I couldn’t find any pictures of it on the internet at that stage.
    blob2.JPG

Then…Mr. Peterman sold it to Alan Hein, who had it transformed to its present day “look”.
    blob3.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 and T-roaster like this.
  26. You tube gave it to me:)
    Fast forward to 3:30 ish

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I believe the present day shot was taken in front of the infamous theatre from the movie at the annual Blobfest that Feasterville holds each year. Cool history and thanks for posting.

Victory99 likes this.
  28. metalman

metalman

Watching the French Connection clip made me think of the green VW that kept getting passed in Bullit. Hackman seemed to pass a tan 64 Chevy with a smoking tailpipe at least 4 times.

29. And, this thread is not complete without talking about my favorite cinematic disaster…Village of the Giants.

It had the Ed Roth custom “Surfite” (which you really were only able to get a glimpse of in the movie; it’s in the 1st and 2nd picture), a really, really cool T-roadster hot rod (which they dramatically ripped the body off of in the movie), and a pretty wicked T-pickup that has a Hemi in it, along with some other cool rides. The scenes in the film that had the cars in it went pretty quickly, and it was hard to get shots with all the cars, but I think I got most of them. The movie is on YouTube, if any of you want to watch it!
    votg1.JPG votg2.JPG votg3.JPG votg4.JPG votg5.JPG votg6.JPG

Nailhead A-V8 and mad mikey like this.
  30. This gets my vote as one of the most realistic and entertaining car chase scenes ever. :rolleyes:

Spooky and slowmotion like this.