Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Is that how cold it is there in Indiana??

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Actually it's 18c which equates to 64f right now.
    But I'm sick like it's 13f out

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A frigid 73f here in Kansas City, hope your not shivering to much up there ;)

Runnin shine likes this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

As Bruce told me today, I've been spending more time on this site than working on my car. This is very true although I have an excuse. Now I love the HAMB and all but I rather be doing almost any part of my build than slumming around here with the riff-raff.
    Since the entire family has been sick for over a week I have plenty of thread time in. Even when I feel well enough to sneak away, they pull me back in.
    So I've been reading back through some old favs too. On @birddog 's thread I came across a post he made that I commented on at the time.
    [​IMG]
    He stated how he couldn't stop staring at the color of this roadster. I said something about not stealing my paint color before I have a chance to brush it on.
    Well it is great motivation for me to keep at it even when times get difficult.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Squablow, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. Lol and all I did was sit in bed all day and play in the Hamb and watch gene Winfield videos in YouTube.:D It was cold here like 59' so I just didn't feel like getting out if bed.:)

loudbang likes this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I peeked out the kitchen to garage door as often as usual to stare the 85ish pile of dooty. Introduced my kids to one of my few favorite cartoons Ren and Stimpy, always loved the retro stylings, probably completely inappropriate for two just turned fours. Talked to a good friend about building me some 3 tube merge collectors for Hubba Hubba's headers, also completely inappropriate, but would look cool. Still trying to sell stuff to pay you and George for the PU trans. Then I got to get a bead roller.
    I'm turning into you when it comes to mailing stuff out. It's taking me over a week to get a dash panel out for @Pete. Can't wait to get that ignition switch and key. If I'm still sick when it gets here I'll put it in the old chrome column, drag it and the 40 wheel into the house and watch road to Bonneville and three mile while pretending to drive along. Hopefully the old chrome fan doesn't take out the tv,

loudbang likes this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Don't know why my heart broke a little tonight when I opened an email from HotRod. I don't claim to be a genius or anything but I was getting comfortable with the idea of having a hint of uniqueness in my build. That's been squashed by John Foxley and his 32/34 3w coupe. Let the tears fall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  8. yours will be cooler.

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well hell yeah, it will basically be green. Maybe I should borrow his wheels though?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Did the build two of them or is the purple one a 32?

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Pretty sure the purple one is a 32 he built that had leftovers that spawned the Wyatt-Wanna-Be,

brEad and loudbang like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

These pics do help show how I have been very confident that the 34 windshield and header look great with a 32 cowl. They have very similar shapes. I also feel my laid back posts will compliment my build more so. I love red candy and white(especially lace) don't get me wrong. Even plan to use these colors two more builds down the line. But I think John's header and cowl look a little "lazy" maybe it's the paint scheme, maybe it's almost too clean. Which is weird cause I have thought the lack of "eyebrow" on the 33/34 header will help my car's lakes sleekness.

13. I'd look at that coupe as confirmation that your ideas will work on your Tudor. In the grand scheme of things, anything that can be done to 30-34 Fords probably has been done, but what makes each car unique is the details. We each borrow ideas off each other from lessons learned to what looks right or doesn't look right. Keep plugging away at your car and its uniqueness will come through.

RODIST, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I'd just take it as confirmation of some of your ideas. It's not like anyone's going to confuse the two.

Runnin shine likes this.
  15. here's one that my neighbor has been tinkering with. IMG_8787.JPG IMG_9129.JPG IMG_9501.JPG IMG_9500.JPG needs red rims.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Wyatt,
    Chin up. The 32 3 window of John Foxley is in fact a 32. The front roof section is from a 34 5 window,
    the rear roof is from a 33 sedan, the windshield and dash is 34. The doors are stretched 34 4door sedan.
    From the firewall to the rear quarters, including the deck-lid and the 32 gas tank are 32. The whole thing is on 32 rails. What gives it away as 32, are not only the 32 firewall and cowl but the rockers and the rear quarters belt-lines.
    32 rear belt-lines do not join each other as a 33/34 but terminate at a curve segment at the rear. Don't give up the ship.

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  18. i searched for photos i had of it, a couple from the beginning of the season a couple from the end. there are a bunch of changes.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Squablow

Squablow

Now that Deucemanltl explained it, I totally see that he is right, the red/white car is not really a 34 with a 32 cowl but much more of a mix than that. It does look nice though.

I'm excited to see how this sedan turns out, I really like the idea. If I ever make it through the pile of projects I have in line to do first, my '33 coupe will get a reworked cowl and firewall in a somewhat similar manner, I really like the way that looks.

koolkemp, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Here's a quick synopsis of the main 32 and 34 parts that make up my quest to achieve as much 32ness as my budget allows. I am after all really just trying to build a nifty 32 3w inspired Tudor out of a 34. To me especially by now believe this car will be better than a true 32 Tudor I was after. It certainly will be sleeker looking in my mind.
    So starting with the original 1934 Tudor body from just ahead of the A- pillars back there's
    2. Original 1932 frame rails lengthened and widened from the middle back
    3. • • 32 front crossmember, spring retainer, and u-bolts
    4. • • 32 V-8 radiator
    5. • • 32 Radiator cap bezel and Ford emblem
    6. • • 32 Grill insert surround
    7. • • 32 V-8 emblem
    9. • • 32 head light bar cut for mounts
    10. • • 32 split bones
    11. • • 32 spring perches
    12. • • 32 spindles
    13. • • 32 hood tins, strip, hinges, brackets, handles, and latches
    14. • • 32 sedan firewall and cowl top and vent assembly plus handle
    15. • • 32 pickup cowl sides
    16. • • 32 sedan and pickup cowl band and feet
    17. • • 32 3w dash top half, 32 sedan gauge tunnel opening, and stainless trim ring
    18. • • 32 gauge tunnel and speedometer
    19. • • 32 3w ext. door handles(although their the same as 33/34s)
    20. • • 34 int. handles
    21. • • 34 windshield frame
    22. • • 34 glass except windshield
    23. • • 32 dome light
    24. • • 34 gas pedal re sculpted to look 32
    25. • • 34 throttle and choke knobs
    26. • • 34 clutch and brake pedals
    27. • • 32 firewall fuel line bracket(Bruce!)
    28. • • 34 X member, rear crossmember, spring retainer and bolts
    29. Re pop 34 gas tank and sender
    30. 32 3w replacement lower cowl patches
    31. 34 replacement outer rockers, door lower portions(cut down to 32 height), quarter lower patches, possibly 34 wheel wells, and rear body line panel
    32. 32 style floor including wood toe boards, separate section under front seats, and probably 3w mimicked patterned bead rolling from behind front seat to the back panel. The inner rockers have no identity.
    I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch of the 32 and 34 bits. No need to ramble on about much more parts from other traditional approved years.

loudbang likes this.
  21. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that is a very enthusiastic build! Gotta love it. Nice work

loudbang likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So following up on the length of the louvers in a model A hood side. I got a synders catalog in the mail and it makes note that some very early 28's have a slight taper in the louvers. So I'd guess I have one early and one not early hood side that I measured

Runnin shine likes this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Don't forget if you shorten your quarters by 2" you better cut down the inner panels as well
    [​IMG]
    You see my boo boo down there? Grind, grind it'll be alright kid. I actually cut these down 2 5/8". I'm no longer overlapping the B-pillars. I want to also leave out the wood to show the cool oval holes from the original stamping. So I made some brackets to weld on the back side of the pillars. I even drilled a bunch of holes to compliment the A-pillar braces I made earlier. I haven't quite figured out if the window regulators will still function properly.
    Weld your nuts on
    [​IMG]
    Of course you'll have to oblong a hole or two ya rookies
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully it's warm enough to clean up and paint the back sides of these panels and plop' m in.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    tb33anda3rd, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang likes this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sorry I might redo this. I suffered through it's installation after getting some metal or cut-off wheel in my eye. Now I've been at doctors offices for hours today cause my eye got so bad last night. Guess nothings getting accomplished today.
    Good job face shield, you suck!

Nailhead A-V8, loudbang and slv63 like this.
  26. the ricochet gets you. nothing worse.

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  27. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Been there 2x now - once wearing safety glasses and once wearing goggles (how does that work???). I feel your pain. On the bright side you get needles, scalpels, and medically equivalent Dremel tools in your eye to go with your pain and existing eye debris. To this day if I don't get enough sleep or wake up dehydrated, my left eye hurts like a mofo for the first 10 mins or so after waking up (I was told scar tissue). Anyway, hang in there. I started wearing a face shield with a hoodie pulled over the top, and so far that seems to work ok (fogs up fast though).

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    So while sitting out on build progress for a day already. I really start to ramp up on the desire to run a SoCo blower on this thing if even down the road maybe a year or two from now. Then I look up the cost on H+H's website and the pain in my eye begins to ramp up as well. $8500 holy smokes. That would almost be in the realm of doubling the cost of my build. Guess I'll stop dreaming.

"Man rock n roll has been goin down hill ever since Buddy Holly died"

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    paintslinger805, Tim and loudbang like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Print a good photo of one off and tape it to the inside of the hood sides ;)

kiwijeff and Runnin shine like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I'm still re cooperating so I have plenty of time to post nonsense.
    I have wanted for a while now, since deciding not to run any interior panels too, accentuate The factory holes in the door tops
    [​IMG]
    I will get a hole punch tool to add extra ones all the way across. I found a cool one with a similar radius to the stock Henry flange. It is a hundo though so it will have to wait.
    But for now on the rear panels that hold the window regulators there was two holes without a rolled lip. So I grabbed a hole-saw and drilled some more.
    [​IMG]
    Nice and sloppy. My plan is to paint these panels, inside doors, and B-pillars the same dark green I'm using on the front seat frames. I also intend to reapply a black undercoating to the body panels and inside the door. I think it will look spiffy in contrast to one another through the holes. Further more I can't wait to paint the dash even though I'm no longer doing the woodgraining technique. I'm skating the edge of the military vibe but monitoring all the while my self control, I hope.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    volvobrynk and Stogy like this.